Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Finally got out with my brother from U.K. today. Trolled trailer park and Otter point areas. Hooked two pinks and landed one in 6 hours fishing. The summer Chinooks remain a completely insoluble mystery to me as usual but at least my brother caught something!! Much finer day on the water than the Environment Canada forecast.

THx Holmes...right now though I'd be happy with a 15 pounder....anything....to break this great big going on two season summer time zippo...Guess I'll just have to wait for the winters again this season. At least those guys will bite!!! LOL

Sooke with Totally Tyee today. Flat calm tons of crap in the water through Otter and Muir in the morn. Saw a few fished hit but not alot. we managed Two high teens a few pinks and a nice hatch coho all in the morn on choves. 40 plus boats working the tide lines for pinks. few being hit but not a huge load yet.

Was out again, boated 16 with some guests for fun. 30 to 40 feet on the downrigger running chovies and got a mixed bag of goodies going against the tide all day. I will be out tomorrow again starting off at possesion point and working back to beechy.

Channel 68 till the chatter gets to much then im jumping to 66.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished the Trap today for a totally mixed bag. I think we had every species but halibut to the boat. Brought home a hatch Coho and a teenager Spring, lost a couple others all in the early morning. Went out for pinks later on way out off Sec Island but was very slow. Did get in to a few but very slow compared to the weekend. Out again tomorrow 23 ft Hourston ( Surf Dancer)

Fished this evening from 6 til 8. did a couple of tacks outside Secretary and then went out for pinks--got a couple but definately slower than the weekend. from Knotty's report, sounds like the flood is when to fish.
T2

Fished from 12.30- 5.00 at Otter, lots of Pinks, several doubles, cohos and small springs, kept several pinks and one 10 lbs. spring, flood was cooking but lots of action and boats, good day Driller ps. all the fish were stuffed with tiny needlefish about 1 inch long

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you are still at it Tom. Hope all is well with work and all.

Cheers,
Terry

Hey Terry-Had a good year working with the munchkins--they still make me laugh which means I'm still enjoying it. Holidays now tho, evenly divided between the honeydo list and fishing. We have 4 days booked at Rennie next week--hope it's still hot.
T2

Fished Otter the past 3 days in the morning and had good success on the deep reef off the point. Picked up 6 good fish up to 30lbs in 3 trips..... all deep.90ft Smaller Chovies seem to do the trick out there lately... Got yelled at by Bobby Canuck for not letting him cut me off today and all I can say is RIGHT ROD TO THE BEACH BUDDY! Kinda had to laugh at the dude cause he asked/screamed if it was my first time out there... What a beauty... Too bad cause I love the name on his boat! :p

Its so damn basic its sickening. I am so tired of the stupidity I still have to endure out there by old timers and weekenders alike. On a brighter note, we had fun following Sammyslammer into the fish today! We landed a dozen in no time sadly just coho and pinks, but still alot of fun for the crew.

Thanks again SS for taking the time to walk us into some fun!!! Catch you out there again tomorrow!

Mike

Fished the dampness this morning around the Bedfords. Managed a 16 & 15 both on glow green teaser 70'. Looked like Beechey Head was ok, several guys at the cleaning table with teenagers and saw one at 24lb.

Crappy summer but nice water today. Action fast and furious before 7:30 am, lost first 2 both good fish, then released a couple of 10's, ten landed a 31, let a 7-8 pounder go, a couple more good fish on and spit the hooks. Only 1 guy on board so brought him home with the 31...shoulda kept one of the 10's...oh well.

Took the kids out for some pink action today. Just out of Becher Bay. First couple hours were kinda slow but once the afternoon flood came on full boar the action turned on pretty good. But man, was there a lot of weed and crap in those tidelines today. It sometimes looked like someone mowed a football field. Couldn't go around it and it took a long time to clean everything up. Tell ya, fishing is hard work! Lol

Headed out with my lady friend for the flood this avo, rolled out to secretary and orcas all over. Thought the fishing would be done, but quickly got a couple scrappy large pinks in the cooler. One at 75, other at 35. Moved onto the trap but couldn't round up any action there to finish the quick outing. Pretty glassy out there. A little rain and a little thunder but wasn't busy out there so I'll take it. Maybe try launching close to home tomorrow at Fleming and see whats out front.

Family time pinks & whales working everything that swims...how do explain to the youngin's that some whales like Rock sausages...sammy

Back in town....Wow what a blast and NOPE came out even and with money coming home LOL LOL

OK have to ask sammy what is a "Rock sausage"????? LOL

Back in town....Wow what a blast and NOPE came out even and with money coming home LOL LOL

OK have to ask sammy what is a "Rock sausage"????? LOL

Rock sausages are Seals ...heard it on the forum a while back thought it was fitting...by the way how was Vegas? how much more gear does a tackle ***** need:confused:...sammy

how do explain to the youngin's that some whales like Rock sausages...sammy
Watched a orca scarf a seal off of a drying rock at age 8 on Mitlenatch Island. Kind of shook me til my dad explained Disney wasn't giving me the complete picture about nature.
T2

Back