Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Good for you Dbl R...

No need to puff chest feathers out.

Me an FFG had a great day yesterday (separate boats).... in that area. ;)

If guiding was a weekend project for me I would probably start that way too........

Didn't that boat used to be "Fore Play" back in the day?

Back to Sooke reports....

90ft seemed to be good around Otter yesterday with a chovie :eek:

You have it right Banana's. That boat was owned by an old timer out of Victoria who past a few years back. It has been a main stay out at Sooke for years. Funny how guys don't regonize this boat but say they get out lots.

Funny how everyone has put a hex on this guy with this boat he has got. He probably knows more about fishing than any of you "critics". He's offering a service, probably because he has lots more money than any of your poor winers. Grow-up, so he doesn't wear audidas shoes at school, doesn't mean you should start bulling him. Try giving him call?

Wow you guys are relentless. For one this is the Fishing Reports section not kick the kid while he is down arena. two is why do you care what a guy charges out at if you are confident in what you charge is fair for the service you give? If he is charging to little he will soon pass a side. Some guys use charters as a write off for a boat, if so just showing some numbers on paper justify it. Yes under cutting is a nasty part of business but as mentioned you get what you pay for and some people cannot afford to spend top dollar on a charter others like to do it up right. I doubt the clients paying for this would be putting up $700 for a day charter if this guy wasn't around. I remember a guide in Masset would make $120 a day after expenses. He did not care just loved being on the water and taking people fishing.

Can we get back to reports and let this one go! How is it out there? Might try to get out this weekend if I can somehow find time.

I'm thinking of going out Sunday Afternoon for some salmon and maybe some hali as well. Can anyone give me a heads up of what's going on out there, that would be great! Thanks

You Bet Biggy A doz. boats @ whirl Today But fishing was spotty Hit 4 realesed 3-6Lbs. kept 1 @ 10lbs(whitey) Great for da smoker all my fish where deep.
Jesse on Rob. H boat landed one close to 20lbs.(hatch).Short window for Hali's tide was a ripper,lings open manana might be worth a try.Might want to try the bluffs heard it's a little better down that way anyways weather nice maybe give er another rub.
Good Luck :)

Thanks Sammy, I will probably giver another shot as it seems to change day to day in Whirl. I hope for once that I get in the right place at the right time. Going to try for some Hali in the area and see what happens

Fallowing my own recommendation to Bigmeal went to fish the bluffs today choose to start @ Possesion Pt. hit 9 fish in 1st. 2 hrs. had 2 nice slabs on with one in the high teens unfortunately "Mr. Wiskers" was top rod & snagged both! Guest crew (father & son) came home happy with limit -10lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down west from 9 to 3 for hali's not even a doggy, even the crabbing sucked. Nice current and beauty day

Hey Sammy, went out of Pedder today and hooked my first Hali in my own boat with the family! A 55 lber is quite the nice start if I do say so myself and man was it a rush getting it into the boat without a harpoon. Let's just say that it's going to be my next purchase! Along with the first hali in my boat, it was the first time I have anchored and it went really quite smoothly thanks to the boys at Westshore Sportfishing Center for all there help and advice. What an awesome day out there and the family had a blast! Here's a pic

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 166
Oh yah, forgot to say nice work on the salmon fishing Sammy! I'm going to give them a try next weekend if I get some time out from all the "TO DO" items that seem to be building up.

Nice work bigmeal! It can be daunting to get into anchoring for halibut but nothing like the feeling when the first one comes in the boat and a perfect sized fish at that!

Congrats Biggy! Nice Hambut like the big mod hoochey does it glow? Harpoon never used one on a commy boat but i guess when you spear em they'll put on a good show for the Guests.

Thanks guys, Now I can't wait to go out for another one! The hootchey glows Sammy and that setup seemed to work great, but hey that was my first so not a lot of experience to go on. I even picked my own spot, I saw a group at 27 fathoms and decided it would be safer to anchor by myself with no one else to swing into.

Good job bigmeal, feels good to get that first 1 ,hope thats the start of haly slayin for ya.

Thanks Bananas, yah it kinda got me addicted just with the one fish! Funny it's the same feeling I had when I caught my first spring with Tuibbed Out in his boat only 3 or so years ago.

Anyone been out lately. Reports? Was gonna take the day off tomorrow and head out. Looks likenits gonna be a glass day and I got one hell of an itch to go!

Back