Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Good day on the water yesterday in Whirl Bay, calm weather but salmon were definitely spotty. We picked up a 9 lb Winter spring about 0930 and then nothing till about 3 00pm (17.5 lb spring) both hatchery. The small one was really red and the big one had a lighter pink meat and outside color of black and gold ?? Can this be a resident fish or are the runs starting to come throu

I think I would thank the guides who have developed enough knowledge to anchor up with what in the beginning were less than perfect setups, but made it work safely. Then had the foresight to recognize deficiency's in their methods and gear and kept adapting until the best possible method was employed. Now everyone can benefit from that knowledge and all the trial and error and hopefully avoid putting them self in a dangerous situation. Even with that said there are always going to be fools around who will not listen to anyone and persist in doing things their way. If these people didn't exist there would be nothing to watch on the evening news!!

While Poseidon's last post was quite off track, it was not nearly as offside as the post they made regarding PRM that was removed from the PR thread; it was a completely inappropriate use of the forum. You say you are just a sporty Poseidon, but your post re: PRM narrowed your down to just a couple of people, neither of whom are sporties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that its , "to little to late", but your right Xavier, I made a mistake, I apologize to all those who were offended by my words and to the ones I was directing my comments too. It was uncalled for and not appropriate for this forum.

So his typing/grammer pretty much sucks........but can he catch fish?
The part that's not in the add, is you have to help row the Hourston back to the dock!!! Didn't charge enough for gas.

If he's doing a 4 hour charter for pinks this year, he'll likely be done in 2 hours no bait needed, so it's only the gas to get out into the straight and back to the dock.
a family of 4 getting 16 pinks will think this guy is a hero !

It's simple, I have seen it a lot. Some guy gets a 21-26 foot boat that runs for 5-10 grand. He is fishing, then sees how much guides charge. All of a sudden, he figures he has found a gold mine, and starts taking people out. Then something goes "BOOM" and he is looking at a multi-thousand dollar repair. Not to mention an already old boat really showing the wear and tear. Lets do some math for a standard issue morning Sooke charter at that price point:

4 Hour Charter - $300.

Gas - $50

Bait/Tackle $30

Gross Profit $220

That is bareley a good wage for a profesional tradesman for a days work. A 4 hour charter really does take a 6 or 7 hour bite out of your day by the time you get to the boat early in the AM, warm it up, then get back to the dock, spend an hour cleaning fish, boats, and seeing your guests on their way. And factor in to that price that somewhere, you are responsible for people on your machine that could quickly turn into a life and death situation.

And the kind of people that shop for the lowest price charter are usually the most demanding. Who knows, maybe the guy can fish.. I can count on one hand the number of trips in my life that I have taken people out when the pinks are in, where they were excited about catching pinks, usually it is a case of me throwing 8 flats of anchovies over the side of the boat to weed through the pinks to get a spring or two.

But hey, maybe he can catch fish, and maybe he is making money and having a good time! At the end of the day when guiding, it's what happens to the bank account. That's it.

Ya looks to me like a 23. Just goes to show ya the guy must really be out to lunch if he doesn't even know size of his boat. Found it humorous to see the ad tho, just makes you wonder if thats the best pic he's got of a nice catch then maybe the idiots that hire him are in their element and deserve to go out with a guy like that. Just thought this ad was funny and wanted to share it with you all. Never seen that boat around so maybe he is a newb tryin to get into the business down here. Who knows!

He must be "a part time fishing guide" with a reel job LOL I've seen him out a few times and I think he was out of Pedder Bay before this if it's the same owner

The old Four Play still lives. it is a 23 for sure and i belive it has a little diesel in it. TRying to remember the name of the guy that had it before he passed on .

Dont know if your refering to me smiley but I'm not worked up by anymeans, i find these type of guys hilarious as I own an excavation company and always get a good laugh from the fly by nighters that come along and try to screw up the rates etc. You get what you pay for these days and I was Just giving the other guides a heads up about someone in their area is all. If people wanna use him they can go ahead just hate to see all the good hard workin guys losing customers by fly by nighters.

Went west today, (6;30 am) passed Mr Four Play at Sheringham where he stopped to anchor up. I went a lot farther and got 3 hali's for my effort. On the way back Mr Four Play was still anchored at Sheringham. I made $700.00 for my 8hrs and another $120 for a tip. Wonder how he did? i would like to charge a bit more for a long haul trip like that but Mr Four Play and others make it hard to get what the trip is really worth. No doggies today, in fact the only 3 hit we got were the fish we got.

Back