Sooke Report -- 2008 season

Any reports, heading out tomorrow and weekend. Any signs of coho or is it still very slow out there?

cby

Went out on the 9th....2-7 pm....fished the tide lines out from the harbour mouth to Otter Point...looking for coho. nothing.

did pick up a spring ( teenager ).

Cloud

Went out last night from about 6 till 8pm.
Fished off the harbour/bluffs way out there. In about 500 feet. Hooked into one that popped off the downrigger and started taking line as soon as I got to the rod, Then it was gone. That was it for me. I was using a pink hoochie with a 2.5 foot leader. 85 feet down.

Gave it a try tonight for a few hours.
Nothing and didn't anyone move any fish either. Lovely evening on the water though.
Back at it tommorow, maybe they're wrong about the wind forecast LOL

cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

I was going to give it a go tomorrow as a last gasp but then thought with so few fish around this year I could not kill a fish and feel good about it. Going to pull the boat out I think and maybe think about next year. Lets hope the ocean conditions improve out there real quick. Good luck to the guys out this week end. I look forward to reading on Monday about how hot the fishing was with slabs landed everywhere.

Any early reports from the river? What was last year's count 150 Springs? Hopefully this is simply late, but I fear for the worse.

Just got back , fished on a buddys boat who had 2 outstanding days wed,thur out of Beacher bay ....any how one hatchery ho ,,small one really nice non clipped ( realeased carefully) , had a few pokes hear and there , Talk was a guy got a 15-18 ish early and talked to another guy who got 2 quick teens around 9 oclock .. lots of nada`s out there .. but I will say there was a good bunch of coho around . Saw a bunch of guys head out to the tide lines , but there were plenty in near the shore .

Flat calm could not have asked for better weather ,,, if tomorow looks anyting like today ,,, tomorrow would be a great day to take out your wife ..............

tubbed

I think the HO's are coming, and not the Rockbay Ho's.
Fished from 7-1 and had 3 wild coho, 1 hatchery around the 6-8lb mark and 1 smaller spring,which is out getting bigger. I had to release a high teen coho cause of that damn fin, Almost cried. :(
But at least there was some action:)

We tied into a nice one, mid twenty ish, late in the morning off the Bedfords, guest lost it at the boat. Saw another guy with a good one on. I was amazed by the amount of feeder Springs showing up at all depths. Lots of guys limiting on them this morning. I just can't bring my self to bonk 4-6 lb springs at this time of year! Went out into the depths and got into a few wild ho's on light gear, no hatch jobs today.

www.tailspincharters.com

After lurking for a few years, I have finally joined the forum. I have been fishing out of Sunny Shores with a guy from Vancouver who keeps his boat there for the summer. He has pulled it out now, so it looks like my fishing is over for the year. Love to fish so I am saving for my own boat.
I have enjoyed these forums and have learned a great deal which I am sure has improved my fishing. We fished for springs and seldom got skunked this year. I got my first Sooke Tyee (30.5) on Sept. third off of the harbour mouth at 77 feet in a hundred feet of water. We also lost a similar fish that day when it threw the hook. We were using a green double glow flasher and a green glow Rhys Davis teaser head.
I tried attaching a photo but I don’t seem to have that part worked out yet.
Good luck to all of you still fishing this year.

Well just did my last 2 trips on friday sat. out in sooke as ill be hauling the boat out here this week. must say it was the hardest year ever to get fish that for sure not a great year for numbers thats for sure and dont think you will see them (big springs) any more this year for friday/sat out of the boats out there a couple of feeders and one mature they are GONE

Now hopefully we get some coho showing up but dont hold your breath as renny from what I heard is very slow, there area few chum showing up which is nice love those fish for the battle they have.

Want to personally say thanks to the guys from this forum who came up and said hi to me at the marina and other places

And it was good to meet up with Walleyes after every day to have a pop and chat.

thanks to all

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

They're chasing the bait, have you noticed how much feed is out there
now ??
They seem to be 4" minnows and they are everywhere...
a good sign !

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Was out yesterday and ran into boiling water (bait) in the Bedfords and Church. Dropped the gear and had 2 feeders and one let-go coho by 7:30. Tried then for more and bigger coho at Church and Whirl Bay shallower and still hit more feeders and small coho... No size, 5-7 lbs, but lots of action! Heard of an over 30 lber from near the head...

It was a poor year on the south island for me but it was still good to get out there on the weekends. There are reports of lots of huge coho offshore WCVI so hopefully there will be some decent fishing down here in a couple weeks. I too noticed the abundance of baitfish and feeder springs this year ... nice to see.

Heard you (Tailspin) and striperjack on the radio yesterday but never saw you though...Where were you and how did you do?

Mostly Church and the Bedfords Chris, lots and lots of feeders and the odd teener around, hoped to get the big one, no luck kept a few larger feeders and released many many more, maybe 15 plus. Those C@R nets are great for those guys.
Went out ot the deep searching for Coho and found none.

Out again tommorow to get the big one for the pipeline crew and then a Vic waterfront multi boat charter/captains derby Wednesday.

www.tailspincharters.com

Back