Sooke Report -- 2008 season

Fished Wednesday Beechy Head to Trap back and forth, then concentrated mostly at Beechy because I had been successful there on the weekend. Well 8hrs of drag lines. No hits, no fish. Fished high, low everywhere. Did not see a fish caught.

Fished today, Otter, Muir, Sherringham, 9 hrs, no hits, no fish. Only saw 1 small one caught and someone lost a nice one at sherringham.

Nice water, but dead sea. crazy. It should be going off at this time. It might be that time to WINTERIZE. Dam it.

Anyone else with some good results.

cby

Yes it was slow CBY as you tried many things finally got one doing an old school troll off of otter on the last hour of the trip to save face all i can say is it has been a very weird year for the fishing.

Back out sat sleeping in tommorow finally.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wednesday we hooked 4 with 3 in the boat. Couple high teens and one low twenties. Not bad for couple hours of fishing. Otter about 80ft you can use any color as long as it's green :D Thats how fishing should be. Too far and few in between unfortunately.
Got there around 5:30 in the afternoon wind picked up and fog rolled in within the hour.
Good ride home in the dark + fog + chop [xx(]
Cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

It's been the worst year as long as I have been fishing here. But talking to oldtimers who grew up here and fished the waters since the 60's they can't remember a year that even came close to being that slow for fishing. The operational manager of the Nitinat hatchery recently told me that he expects catastrophic returns this year...But that would be nothing but as expected after last year's bad return (last year there were the 3-year springs missing, this year the 4-year springs - both classes make out the overwhelming majority of our spring populations here). Next year we will find out if it was in fact only due to a weird ocean current in 2005 that caused those two years of lack of fish (official DFO opinion) or if something else is at work. In 2006 the ocean conditions were good so there should be no reason for a low return in 2009/2010. Wait, pray, and see...

Dam I knew it was going to be a late bite at Otter, I could not last any longer. Oh well at least there still there.

cby

Cby that was the last day for the afternoon tides/currents it now switches to early mornings.
it will be better this week (I hope)

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Worst year for me in 30 years at Sooke and Renfrew. I think the Alaskan polluck fishery incidental chinook catch (320 000) is affecting our returns. It was obvious this year especially with the west coast trollers idled.

I remember the when the trollers used to have openings north of Renfrew the fishing in Sooke turned off like a tap for days. With these guys not able to go out the chinook fishing should have been fantastic this year.

Can you smell east coast fishery management problems here?

Thanks Wolf, Yes I see the tides are changing with it flooding all day for the next few days. That should get the fish moving hopefully. See you out there soon again.

cby

Got our 4 from otter this morning. One early and the other three just around noon. Purple was the color for us. (15,16,22,27)

Hit the water early with The Rock and landed 3 springs (18.5lb, 16lb and 12lb) and a chrome chum by noon. Thick fog most of the day out west. The sounder didn't look as good as last week and I think we were lucky to get what we did. Out tomorrow for more.....

Anyone find any coho in the deep?

Wow good work Yammy. I was at Beechy and Trap from 6-1pm Not even a bite. Tons of fish on the sounder. It was really slow. This is 3 days in a row with no fish and no bites. That is a record for me. Unbelievable, Nice water, really foggy.

cby

Well we just did long tacs around Otter and kept scratching. No real bite came on for us. Heard of a few others caught but not many. First fish jumped on as we passed thru a huge bait ball 60-100' and the others appeared from nowhere...

Saw one guy lose a hog behind the boat. It hit the gear, came straight to the surface, did a couple head shakes and threw the hook. Yeah, he was not happy.

anyone else headed out tomorrow

out of cheanuh tomorrow

boats finnaly back in business

im on 68 all day

tubbed

I will be out tomorrow and I will be on 68 aswell let me know how you do........GB

Tough day on the water from Otter to the Ham ~ no fish in the boat. The sounder was pretty much blank all day. Heard of 1 small one caught at Otter. Saw one lost. Heard of a couple off the Island but overall pretty bleak. Whales came thru early afternoon but there weren't any fish for them to spook! Normally I don't like to see the whales but they were a nice distraction from the monotony of draggin chovies along a fishless tac. Shoulda gone for hali today.

But the weather was nice! :D

Back