Sooke Inlet/Basin

Nick Nooch

Hi Guys, has anyone try fishing in the Sooke Inlet/ Basin area?? Just wondering what kind of fish i might catch there on a small 12ft boat

Planning to Fish there the next two days because of surf/weather forecast. I only have a small boat with 6 hp motor, so i figure if i stay in the inlet, I should be safe..

Searun trout this time of year but they must be handles gently and released. Most of the rockfish area's are closed. Crabbing can be good. Put down traps or row the shallows.

Only thing to catch in Sooke Basin is crab. Maybe trout at Sooke River as eroyd notes, but I've never seen anyone fishing in the basin.

Effective August 1 until October 15, 2021 the following areas are Chinook non-retention areas:

-Subareas 20-6 and 20-7

IT is closed for springs

Effective August 1 until October 15, 2021 the following areas are Chinook non-retention areas:

-Subareas 20-6 and 20-7

IT is closed for springs
What about becher bay? are we allow to keep hatchery spring ?or is it only :

2 hatchery coho/ 4 pink

Later in the season Coho are caught from shore off the gravel bar at the entrance to the Sooke river. You will see guys on the gravel bar/little spit, some in waders etc.

When pulling crab traps in the basin we see some rather big arches on the sounder which I assume are Rockfish etc.

Last edited:
Later in the season Coho are caught from shore off the gravel bar at the entrance to the Sooke river. You will see guys on the gravel bar/little spit, some in waders etc.

When pulling crab traps in the basin we see some rather big arches on the sounder which I assume on Rockfish etc.

Any suggestion where to launch a small boat or kayak in the basin?

Any suggestion where to launch a small boat or kayak in the basin?
You can launch near Billings spit or Whiffin spit. If you drive toward Billings spit, before the last left turn, go straight into the little parking area. You can drag the kayak down onto the beach there. Might be tougher with a small boat.

Some launch in the Basin at the shore beside Goodridge Road a little to the south-east of and beside the Sunny Shores Resort.

Depending on what the tide is doing, you may find it some work to carry your boat to the water and want someone to help you with it. You could always launch it at the Sunny Shores ramp, but there is a launch fee.

Back