Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Finally yakked one up today! Did the Otter shuffle with everyone else starting at 1pm. After several passes at different depths with a totally blank sounder screen just gave up and head SW until I was all alone in the intermittent fog.

Then found a 14lb white female taken at 55ft on the rigger in 140 ft of water right around slack current at 4:30pm. Bloody nose head, 30" leader on one of those goofy kite tail flashers. I'd tried everything else...

Stoked...or maybe more relieved!

Well done C-J. Your perseverance has been justly rewarded. I hope you and A. enjoyed the fish on the Bar-b-Q!

Yes a bit slower we managed 3 but lost a few hitting very funny yesterday. there is still fish to be had, last 2 days the fish my guys have gotten are fresh fish and clean, dont be discouraged ....more are moving in for sure I have a 25 cent bet with KK on this again maybe he will pay up this time LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

1 dollar Steve I will raise it in favor of Wolf. Holy giving up in the bay already not like you?

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes ....more are moving in for sure I have a 25 cent bet with KK on this again maybe he will pay up this time LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

I'm putting my money on you Roy... (hopefully?) but as far as KK Steve paying out? I'll take a side bet on that one.

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh Wolfie, guess I owe ya already. Got into 4 in Beecher today, landed 16 and 19 pound wild Chinooks all fish on today were really nice fresh looking fish. Hard fighters and all caught on purple.

I will pay up this time. Don't worry boys! I know its not over just a bit of a grind is all.

-KK

Saw you catch it...and heard your hoots and hollars when you caught it (so you weren't cheering and no one heard)
Was out from 12-5 - did the otter as well...6 hits but sadly only 2 got to the boat and 1 was just too small for me. the other was a 6 pound long skinny spring. deep water (250 feet) and 90 on the rigger.

Finally yakked one up today! Did the Otter shuffle with everyone else starting at 1pm. After several passes at different depths with a totally blank sounder screen just gave up and head SW until I was all alone in the intermittent fog.

Then found a 14lb white female taken at 55ft on the rigger in 140 ft of water right around slack current at 4:30pm. Bloody nose head, 30" leader on one of those goofy kite tail flashers. I'd tried everything else...

Stoked...or maybe more relieved!

View attachment 13678

pretty slow out there today. Gave up on Springs and headed out for sockeye for an hour before heading in around 1. 1st sockeye of the season.10644603_10152659359305421_8198018720150883316_n.jpg

Happy to get my first Chinook for the year, 19lbs off Otter point this afternoon right at high tide. The three months out of country so far this year is really cutting into my fishing.

Beautiful day in the water and made it easier to put up with grinding out some fish. Heard near the end of the day that whales had been around the night before and maybe early morning. Managed 2 springs, 3 sockeye and a coho. Lots of dead time without anything going on.

First time to Sooke this summer to try to get a fish for a Scottish cousin. Fished otter from about noon till 3:30. Seemed very quiet, saw about three smallish fish landed and kept (Sockeye or hatch Coho). Despite the slowness managed one spring about 13 lb (Anchovy, 100 ft, well out)... that was all we needed to tick off "catch a Chinook in BC" on the bucket list..... Beautiful day on the water with calm and no fog. Sometimes the fish gods smile on you in small ways when you need it!

Could have been a pretty decent day yesterday had the rookies not lost 4 out of 5 good fish on! Decent bite came on between 4 and 6 PM between Muir and Otter (and may have lasted longer but we had to leave). Ended up with a 22 lbs. Most hits on chovie and one on a coho killer.

Hello Sooke Fishermen,

New to this site, and rather new to salt water fishing as a whole. Just bought a 21' Trophy this year and have been making good use to date.
I have been following this thread for the past month and a half as I am heading into Sooke this Thursday and fishing till Monday.
I have flown my father in from Ontario for his 70 birthday for this fishing trip.
I am really hoping that some of you locals might be able to give me some pointers on fishing your area.
I was over this last weekend to bring my boat accross as this thursday I will be bringing my camping trailer.
We will be launching out of Pedder Bay.
When I was over, I did a little recon to check out the area. Via all the posts on this thread I was able to get the names of all the locations and in turn was able to find them when I was boating around, thanks in part to the Pedder bay staff.
I am simply looking for what gear and what depths. I have noted that it would appear teasers (Green, Chartreuse, White and purple) would appear to be the best bait. Id like to know what a "Bloody Nose" teaser looks like. Also what is a "Coho Killer" and what does it look like. What leader lengths are best at this time? I think I read 30". Any particular flashers hitting more than others?
I am very excited to fish this area, even with the reports saying it is slow. If anyone can tip me on the Halibut fishing, Ive seen the general locations just south of Pedder bay, but do I need to know more. Are Salmon bellies, herring and anchovies the best bet still.
I didnt bother fishing while I was out last weekend as I had limited time and was with a bunch of friends. We did drop a line and jigged for cod and caught only small rock cods, no lingcods, is that the norm?
Anyhow, guess thats enough for now. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions and help.
Cheers

Marc

Funny day yesterday. Got a double header of high teen springs ??@# right at the tide change O/S the head, then nothing working the trap and the head till we went out to the tide lines off Secretary. Hooked another on a tide rift there and worked it as it went down the highway producing fairly decent action. Finished the day with our over under springs for the two of us and two hatch hoes. Looks to me like the springs are just moving through and once you get on them you have to keep moving to stay on them. Hope that helps.

It's not over till the fat seal snaps your line.

Captcrunch says...."Finished the day with our over under springs for the two of us and two hatch hoes."
What are you referring to when you said over under springs?????
There is no over under reg in place right now off Sooke.
We fished the head to trap today and got two either side of 20. bloody nose head, old style red hot spot and 70'

Started late today so fished from 10am until 3:30pm. Super hot, flat calm day so went to Sheringham. In first 90 minutes had one hit that came to nothing, one 6lb sockeye and released an undersized chinook. Nothing else after that so headed out to 450' with sockeye gear and a deep spoon. Still nothing. For the last 2 hours did a marathon troll with the tide all the way from Sheringham to the harbour mouth. Moved between the 100' and 150' contours and tried many depths. Nothing at all the whole distance. From Fogged In's report looks like should have gone East not West! Well anyway, two chinookless trips in a row is nothing unusual for me, and at least we have the sockeye for the barbie!:)

English,a calm day,no fog & a quality BBQ salmon beats a good day at work! :)

Back