Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Im sure you could go try and let us know....managing a few each day got 3 yesterday all teeners again still waiting for the BIG whites(getting small whites) depths were weird yesterday 45 to 90 ft all over the place and seemed all colors got them ..

Good luck Wolf

I have tried down as far as 220ft in 450ft of water. Last 6 chinooks to the boat were from 123-154ft on the rigger in deep water 300+ ft all on bait.

KK

I was reading the winter harbour report--"Springs were in 300 to 400 ft of water-225 to 250 on the wire. Nogs needle -bare, 3.5 custom glow green and white coyote. Large pearl glo wench hoochy with white double flash LED-nothing big-20 to 25 lbs but nice quality fish."

....and thought there may be some Springs moving through in deeper water around Sooke as well. Would be an interesting thing to try if you were out deeper for sockeye and coho...

Has anyone been trying the deeper water lately? I think Englishman caught a few out there late July/ early August...
Cheers!

Deep spring

I have tried down as far as 220ft in 450ft of water. Last 6 chinooks to the boat were from 123-154ft on the rigger in deep water 300+ ft all on bait.

Thanks for the theory Poppa Swiss and to everyone else who has posted--love to hear the rationale for why we do fish in certain ways--I still have lots to learn!

Thanks also KK for sharing your successes--looks like I might be able to convince my fishing buddies to try the 130 ft range on some of those slower near-shore days.
Good luck!

I think the fish,; pinks, coho, sockeye and the springs we have been fishing at Renfrew and Sooke in past years have come down the inside this year.
Yes the ones we are getting are sometimes running deeper, but the volume just is not there.
I have friends in Campbell River and Nanaimo who are telling me the fishing on the inside has been the best in YEARS this spring and summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fish,; pinks, coho, sockeye and the springs we have been fishing at Renfrew and Sooke in past years have come down the inside this year.
Yes the ones we are getting are sometimes running deeper, but the volume just is not there.
I have friends in Campbell River and Nanaimo who are telling me the fishing on the inside has been the best in YEARS this spring and summer.

BINGO...this sums it up!

I don't really care what happens. I would rather be fishing than sitting in my office right now. I would quit doing what I do right now and fish sun up sun down everyday 365 if I could. The fish to me is the bonus. It has been tough this year, but not totally impossible. I had some bad luck this month but on the entire season overall did OK.

There are some fish around in 20's a few of my friends have been doing Ok and you have to think outside the box a little... September sometimes has some of the biggest fish weighed in.... And I would say we will have another great coho fishery which is a blast. One of the whites I caught last year was in third week of sept.. and it was fresh. That's been three years its been same for myself.

September is sometimes the best. Crowds go away and we get our launch ramps back with some great weather. Looking forward to it. Keeping positive.

Its like winter some of the best fishing to enjoy is in the Dec/Jan a total blast... Were fortunate our area can be fished all year round..A lot of those inside areas don't have a winter fishery...I say let them have it for a change.

Was out this afternoon from 330-600.
Wind was brutal. Myself and two other boats was all I saw.
We did one pass; still a little unclear on locations but we hit a double header just south of the light house outside Pedder bay. We landed both. Both small Chinook under 24" so we let them go.
Am I mistaken on 24" being the number. I have some print outs stating 45cm which is 18".
Still, probable would have let them go.
We hit up at 65' with a green coho killer and 100' with a bloody nose.
Thanks to the guys at Wise Guys, saw them this morning on my way in and they hooked me up big.
Let you know how tomorrow goes. Hopefully wind will be better. Forecast ain't looking so good though.

The last 2 days have been excellent for us. Kinda crappy water conditions yesterday but very nice today. Brought home 5 springs both days and some nice coho as well. Today we also busted one out and had 3-4 more that didn't stick. Starting to see more fish in the low twenties in the mix. A new run of springs has showed up...very chrome, very pointed head and not that long in the body.....and scrappy! Had a couple today doing the 100 yard dash on the surface with their backs out of the water....doing circles. Almost impossible to keep the slack line out...lots of fun! Today we had way more action in the morning than the past few days when it has been more tide change and flood action.

Hey Profisher, good to hear. Where were you fishing? Were they deep and on what?

I just stumbled across this board, this is a great resource.

I was out Monday and Tuesday afternoons, (not the best time) but had lots of hits and four fish both trips, 2 springs and two coho both days. Fished the trap and Beechey down 100 - 115 then out around the point and headed east for the coho. Had lots of hits on the bait but the fish weren't taking it hard so several hits came up empty.

Good to hear it's starting to heat up, my biggest in a few weeks has been 27 so I'd like to squash that soon.

Fishingtactics....I know my reports aren't as detailed as some would like when it comes to the where and fishng details. However it should be enough to inspire you to get out there and enjoy our great fishng. Good luck!

Fished from 7:30 until 12:30 today. Trolled from Secretary to Beechy via the Trap and all the way back past the Bluffs. Did not have a single touch on anything. Not even a shaker. So….the last three trips out have produced two skunks and one sockeye only. Time to dry dock the boat until the coho arrive!
(Did not see a single net out either and towards late morning everyone else had given up “in tight” and were spread out all the way to the 400’ mark. You know it is bad when Possession Point was empty! It will be interesting if anyone else posts that they got something today. Except Profisher of course who will no doubt have had an excellent day!! LOL)

Photo's.(w/shoreline background)or it didn't happen.plus,sharing is caring:)

LOL. Profisher is a guide with the powers of a wizard or fishing god. Some say his boat is magic and has a cloaking device. :DHe exits Sooke harbour turns west and vanishes mysteriously into the fog, only to reappear 8 hours later with fantastic catches which are photographed at the dock.

Arthur C. Clarke (of 2001 fame) once wrote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

To which I might add "Any sufficiently knowledgeable and skilled guide is indistinguishable from a wizard".

So fret not HumpB. The catches of the guides on here are there for us to admire. However, the inscrutable secrets of the guides/wizards will forever remain known only to those chosen by the gods. Us mere mortals can only strive to emulate, but never to achieve, the same. LOL :):)

Total stinker today. Fished for 5 hours and one "maybe" hit. The only good thing about today was the weather and the time with my son.

YES new fish have arrived and you dont have to go far to get them....been very good on the Wolf boat as well for the week ,yesterdays weather well it plain sucked but today was nice compared to what was forecasted. might want to head west and look for a big white thing hear its great up there and I dont mean whiffen spit....might want to give it a rub...... Hump.... but be warned gets a bit crowded up there........

All boats catch fish it all depends whos in the boat fishing... lol

Good luck Wolf

Back