Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Here is a pic of todays haul

Fished 10-2 Beechy to Trap and back. One bite. Depths 60-120. Saw one fish caught and one at the table. We were the little red 12' tin boat out there. Despite the lack of fish, great calm waters, no gear lost and my brother visiting from back east still had a good time. We were reminiscing about the phenomenal pink run last year and the sockeye run from a few before that. See you out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good day with 6 nice springs out of 8. Best action was around noon when it was one after another for us. Also 3 beauty hatch Coho with the largest 10 pounds. That 10 pound coho put up an awesome battle that reminded me of what coho did when I was a kid! Had one coho that we kinda purposely get off....it had been attacked by some marine mammal and had some nasty wounds..surprised it was still swimming.

Phenomenal catch Pro! You (and Wolf) were virtually the ONLY ones catching today if you have read the rest of the reports (8 reports of zero fish and one with one). Like I have always said, it is all about location, location, location. Knowing where to be on a given day on a given tide. And you guys sure know there the hell to be! The contrast between your report (and Wolf's) and the rest of us reporting on here today is absolutely bone jarring and says it all!!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got jack SXXX today what a surprise (sigh). I wasn't the only one tons of guys went home empty handed.. Today I fished Muir, otter from 10-3 totally dead quite. Not even a coho/sockeye.

But I do agree that I think we are going to see another wave of fish,and the arrival of the big harrison whites due anytime now. I have caught lots of those 20' to 30's fish all the way until mid September.

Highlight to day was the jackass who needed rollers on his trailer and decide to steal mine..Smooth move luckily I was able to get a new roller on..A few other trailers were targeted as well. I originally thought they had come off then I saw the bent clips...Keep you eye down at the Prestige ramp...

Another thing on bright side is that this years fall coho run will be the offspring from those big coho we had in 2010.... This years fishery should be a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
We managed to finally get rid of the skunk today. Like profisher said, it happened around noon......we got a nice hatchery coho, a decent spring about 12-14 lbs and lost another fish. It all happened between Muir and Otter........nothing too deep either. The spring hit the downrigger that was down to 37' and purple was the color....Thanks Wolf!!

What makes you think the Harrison whites won't go down the inside like almost everything else? Even the coho if I'm a Fraser coho I'm going inside this year.

We managed to finally get rid of the skunk today. Like profisher said, it happened around noon......we got a nice hatchery coho, a decent spring about 12-14 lbs and lost another fish. It all happened between Muir and Otter........nothing too deep either. The spring hit the downrigger that was down to 37' and purple was the color....Thanks Wolf!!
Slack tide bites happen everywhere

What makes you think the Harrison whites won't go down the inside like almost everything else? Even the coho if I'm a Fraser coho I'm going inside this year.

Nope I don't think so the inside thing is theory. I think for sockeye it was but the rest of it not so sure. Besides a lot of coho is local in fall.

Today my friends and I went to Otter point from 630 am till 12 very thick fog,, No fish, no bite. There were about 30 boats and 5 charters. one charter got one fish.

I used purple onion, super besty, lime and lemon, and green glow flashers with purple haze teasers and pearl mint teaser with larger anchovy. Andrew P's spoon and Nog's Needle spoon. between 35' to 90' on down riggers.

Fished 10-2:30 in beecher today one bite which went undetected at 111ft with purple on purple.

Saw one around 15 caught.

-KK

Little slower today one spring early and 2 in the last hour and all in different spots. Put in a pass at Otter on the one way tack towards the barn and hit the 3rd one just before pulling the gear. The lady on the rod never got to play the fish to conclusion because the fish got into another boats gear. They did gaff the fish and I got everything back. Just a reminder to myself why I now fish as far away from the crowds as I can. First pass at Otter in weeks and the first fish into another boat this year....need I say more. I'll keep on passing it by in the mornings.

Finally yakked one up today! Did the Otter shuffle with everyone else starting at 1pm. After several passes at different depths with a totally blank sounder screen just gave up and head SW until I was all alone in the intermittent fog.

Then found a 14lb white female taken at 55ft on the rigger in 140 ft of water right around slack current at 4:30pm. Bloody nose head, 30" leader on one of those goofy kite tail flashers. I'd tried everything else...

Stoked...or maybe more relieved!

photo cropped.jpg

FacebookLikeButton1.jpg

Finally yakked one up today! Did the Otter shuffle with everyone else starting at 1pm. After several passes at different depths with a totally blank sounder screen just gave up and head SW until I was all alone in the intermittent fog.

Then found a 14lb white female taken at 55ft on the rigger in 140 ft of water right around slack current at 4:30pm. Bloody nose head, 30" leader on one of those goofy kite tail flashers. I'd tried everything else...

Stoked...or maybe more relieved!

View attachment 13678

Congrats!!! I always wanted to try kayaking for the first time, catching a fish...one day I will. nice silver fish!!

Yes a bit slower we managed 3 but lost a few hitting very funny yesterday. there is still fish to be had, last 2 days the fish my guys have gotten are fresh fish and clean, dont be discouraged ....more are moving in for sure I have a 25 cent bet with KK on this again maybe he will pay up this time LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

Back