Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Hahaha nice one. Got 2 12-13lb spring from 7-12 today. Fished sheringham and French beach. One on a blue, one on a green teaser. 65, 85 ft on the rigger. Both springs were marbled- but mostly white

Hahaha nice one. Got 2 12-13lb spring from 7-12 today. Fished sheringham and French beach. One on a blue, one on a green teaser. 65, 85 ft on the rigger. Both springs were marbled- but mostly white

Thanks for the report, Halibut-face. I'm going to try that area in the yak tomorrow. Give me a wave if you're around.
T2

Roland...I vividly remember watching the tops rods at the time I owned my first boat at 13 and thought the exact same thing of those guys. We all start with the same minimal skills and work at improving and learning. Just like with anything else the more determined you are to learn and apply those new skills the faster and further you improve. But there is still one basic truth...no matter who you are...there will always be days when the fish win.

Was out today as I am every Friday in the summer, sheringham, 6:45 rods in the water, 3 springs in next 90min. 24,22,8. All on bloody nose at 69 feet in 70-90ft of water.
4 more hits till 2pm. 2 small ones and 2 hit n gone...still not great out there but the 1st 90min's saved me.

Roland...I vividly remember watching the tops rods at the time I owned my first boat at 13 and thought the exact same thing of those guys. We all start with the same minimal skills and work at improving and learning. Just like with anything else the more determined you are to learn and apply those new skills the faster and further you improve. But there is still one basic truth...no matter who you are...there will always be days when the fish win.
Thx Pro.

My response to HumpB was largely tongue in cheek because I know you're not gonna publish pics like he requested. You guides DO maintain some secrets LOL And so you should!

Having said that I do respect you guys enormously and I know you have come by your skills through a long hard road.

I take comfort in the knowledge that I am not the only one being skunked out there; you can just read the posts here to realise what it has been like for most of us during August (June/July were much better).

Good to see two successful posts from folks who fished down Sheringham way yesterday. Two of the last three times I went down there did not get a hit. I must choose the wrong days or tides!! :)LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry yeah was kidding bout the revealing pics..no one wants a bunch of chowders crowding there serenity.thats why i fish oak bay.hehe
Glad everyone is doing better,hear fish are hungry today

You saying the lake sucked today?

Heard a quite a few good reports from several buddies boats today sounds like things are picking up. I will be out in tom. morning. Lakes LOLLOL whatever KK you will be in the bay tom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good day for us today with 6 springs to 20 pounds and a nice 9 pound coho. Slow in the morning and all the action in the last 4 hours of our day. Flat calm but thick fog at times that was in and out but wouldn't completely leave. I think we may have a decent early Sept for springs as the fish I'm seeing are still chrome and feeding on small needlefish.

Slower for us today ..but the COOLEST thing was coming in just at whiffen spit I see the whale watching boat and the owner says slow down guys theres a whale in the basin here!!!......huh???? so we are going very slow back to the dock when all of a sudden this guy surfaces right in front of me at the last red marker before the marina I slam it into reverse, all the while one of my fellow charters says look out.... small Grey whale people in kayaks and boats everywhere to view this thing . in all the years have to admit first time ive ever seen a grey in there seen some killers once but that was many many years ago...

Slower for us today ..but the COOLEST thing was coming in just at whiffen spit I see the whale watching boat and the owner says slow down guys theres a whale in the basin here!!!......huh???? so we are going very slow back to the dock when all of a sudden this guy surfaces right in front of me at the last red marker before the marina I slam it into reverse, all the while one of my fellow charters says look out.... small Grey whale people in kayaks and boats everywhere to view this thing . in all the years have to admit first time ive ever seen a grey in there seen some killers once but that was many many years ago...

That sounds Cool, but very scary scene. Hope that you and your clients are safe and No harm done to the whale.
Hopefully they had their cameras ready.

Oh it was ok i was only going about 5 mph if that and yes we did ...

slow day....Fished Otter to Muir and sheringham from 8-3.. Slow beyond words..Saw a maybe 4 fish (springs) landed out of the 50 boats spread out. The rest was small coho or sockeye..

Fished 8-1 today Beecher-the Head in and out. Ended up with 12 Coho and 4 Chinook on. Took 2 small 6 pound hatchery coho and a Chunky fat 18 pound marble spring home. Most coho were small with the biggest wild being maybe 7.5 pounds.

anchovy,spoons, pink squirts it all was working at anywhere from 40-138ft and all fish liked a fast troll!

-KK

Another good afternoon bite today and ended up with 5 springs out of 8 up to 21 pounds. Also a couple of nice coho. A morning killer whale show killed the morning bite but 2pm to 4pm is when it turned on. Finally an afternoon off tomorrow and so looking forward to a few hours of down time.

Back