Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Good action yesterday evening for us including two white mature springs. Bonked 4 fish and had a few other hits. Appreciate being allowed to keep the wild coho.

Unfortunately both mature fish were jacks leaving our end results looking more like a great day of winter fishing.

u3u9u7ug.jpg

Fished yesterday, Otter and Muir in the morning. Saw a few nice fish caught earlier on in the morning but we didn't hook into anything. Fished off of Secretary in the afternoon for coho and brought a bunch of ~5lbers to the boat, nothing bigger than that. They were perfect size for my friend's mom who was with us since she'd never fished before. We kept the biggest one that she caught and it had an 8'' fish in it's stomach, looked like a black cod or pacific cod but I couldn't really tell. Sorry, no pics of that.

I was dragging my anchovie near bottom on the way in, about 120' of water (and 135' on the downrigger) and I had a hit that bent the rod over and slowly took line (or it just put the brakes on and the boat movement was taking line). I slowed the boat and turned around on it, felt it long enough to be pretty sure it was a fish but I lost it soon after. Maybe it was kelp, maybe a halibut. Anyone have any tricks for playing halibut when you catch it on light tackle and barbless hooks? Any other fish species out there that this could have been? I'm ruling out lingcod since big lingcod are few and far between around here.

I didn't get out this weekend, but two of my friends did and they got this 32lb'er at Sheringham today! Great guys rewarded with a great fish!
9fddeec60862ae3b2ef4fb6d10afbdd6.jpg
That is some beauty of a fish! Judging from the angle of of the sun, the background and the slight ripple, this must have been in the morning before the whales came through. Would love to have seen him catch this but we were probably too late. Certainly did not see anything caught when we were there.......

That is some beauty of a fish! Judging from the angle of of the sun, the background and the slight ripple, this must have been in the morning before the whales came through. Would love to have seen him catch this but we were probably too late. Certainly did not see anything caught when we were there.......

Nice to see that there are a few tyee's around out there!

I slowed the boat and turned around on it, felt it long enough to be pretty sure it was a fish but I lost it soon after. Maybe it was kelp, maybe a halibut. Anyone have any tricks for playing halibut when you catch it on light tackle and barbless hooks?

Throw the boat in neutral and have your buddy bring up the other gear.
Usually a halibut will take one good run, then it's just a matter of taking your time and
reeling it up slowly with Steady pressure.
We've landed them up to 60lbs on mooching rod's with 25lb mono.

Nasty in Metchosin with lightning and rain plus a good breeze kicking up

What? You're letting a little 'weather' stop that old man of yours from fishing??? (Just kidding Steve & TooTallTony!)
Super smart to stay off the water during lightning...!

Wyrguy Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
It was VERY good today limit on springs for my guys and I got to get 2 for me along with some coho action first 3 were hatchery then 2 wild and a sockeye
seemed it sounded like a bit was happening everywhere for us purple was hot shallower then last week and some of these were very fresh fish 2 whites but small teeners.... maybe more are coming i must say it was one of the better days of the summer out there today good action.....

Good luck Wolf

Back on page 107 It was making wonder as I read the regs a long time ago re the coho regs guys as I read it your allowed
here is the posting....off of sooke we are 20-5 hope this clears it up for you all ..

Portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7
-----------------------------------------
Effective 00:01 hours October 1 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2014 in that
portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary
sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan
Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, you may retain four (4) coho per day, one (1)
of which may be wild (unmarked).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on page 107 It was making wonder as I read the regs a long time ago re the coho regs guys as I read it your allowed 4 coho NOT 1 wild and 1 hatchery
here is the posting....off of sooke we are 20-5 hope this clears it up for you all ..

Portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7
-----------------------------------------
Effective 00:01 hours October 1 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2014 in that
portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary
sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan
Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, you may retain four (4) coho per day, one (1)
of which may be wild (unmarked).
But that says "as of Oct 1" so we have to wait to keep 4.
T2

there are two separate notices Roy...1 for Sept 1 that says 1 wild 1 hatch, then another Oct 1 for 1 wild 3 hatch. It's in 3 different locations and I guarantee would hold up in court if for some reason it wasn't the case and DFO fined you!

The most obvious is right on the main page:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.html
Go to 'coho' below the table and it would be a chronologic reading of the rules.

As for the current coho restrictions out in Sooke/Victoria:
◦Area 20 and Subareas 19-1 to 19-4, except for the specific area measures noted below: Sept. 1 - Dec. 31, 2014: 2 coho per day, 1 may be unmarked.

I read that as either A.) 2 hatch OR B.) 1 wild and 1 hatch

That's how I interpret the "1 may be unmarked".

Yes I fully agree.... Thats the way I read the regs. too...If this isn.t right then D.F.O. should read these posts and post their interpretation..............C.A.

Was fishing sooke from Thursday till Monday morning.
Fished everywhere from Pedder Bay up to Sherringham.
Used green coho killers and bloody nose teasers the whole time.
Switching depths from 150-40 and fishing 50-500 feet of water.
Hooked up a total of 10 times and only held onto 2 fish.
1 clipped coho and one clipped 13lb chinook .
We ran into DFO at Pedder Bay Marina on the Sunday and they said that 1 wild coho was allowed as of sept we 1.
Hope that helps.
Wasn't very impressed with the fishing. But looks like it might just have been a matter of not learning. As se boats were doing well; but most I ran into were doing the same as ourselves.
Will be fishing the mouth of the Fraser for sockeye and Harrison white chinook for the rest of the season.
Thanks Sooke fishermen for all the tips.
Thanks Wise Guys for all the gear and tips.

Currently anchored for halibut out front of Sooke. 3.5 hours through a current switch...at least there aren't any dogfish. Is that a good thing, or a sign I should give up?

I heard bigwavedave is down right now. Currently blowing east at 5-10 knots, pretty nice out.

Thanks man too tired not thinking straight my bad

Back