Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Fed up with being on the beach so went out with no instrumentation anyway today. Only thing working was GPS. No gas gauge, no voltmeter, no sounder, so guess we fished like they did in old days! Could not go to the spots with reefs, so had to stick to harbour mouth and bluffs, 8am till 2:00pm.
Anyway got a huge hit off bluffs after 20 minutes and got it to surface. Jumped once and it might have gone to 67 cm but I have no idea if it was clipped or not, as it popped the hook yards from the boat. Fished on for hours down to trailer park and back. Finally got a small 6lb clipped in pm. Hits came at 69 and 102 feet on anchovy but I have no idea what depth I was in!!:eek:
Beauty day on the water!!

Last edited by a moderator:
good on you Roland...no need to be landlocked; we'd be honored to have you on board,pm or call & we can set up a date...:)

Went out once again without gauges or sounder today. Began trolling up and down against the bluffs. After about an hour got a pin-popper on anchovy at 67 feet. Fish was a good one and fought like a crazy thing, jumping three or four times. Sadly we screwed up at the net - one of those half - in half out fiascos and treble caught the net and one more flap and he was gone! :(
I estimate 18-20lbs but in chaos did not see whether clipped or unclipped.
I calmed down and put bait out again in same spot and five minutes later got another hit and brought an 8lb unclipped to the boat. Nothing more for several hours until the pm then got an even smaller clipped fish at 115’ much further out.
No idea how deep the water was in each case, but we must have fished close to the bottom because we brought in at least a dozen rockfish and baby ling cod. Expensive on the anchovies!!
Hot, sun tan day on the water!

Outstanding morning! Out at Aldridge at 6:00, four in the boat in first hour! 10-15 lbs, two clipped two wild. 9 fish to the boat total, all before 8:30 on anchovies. Three at 55 the rest deeper 105-115.

Nice and calm on the water. Fished from 6-10. Started at the head and picked up 2 small ones and released. Made my way down to the trap. Picked up a 7 lb wild at 65' and a 10 lb clipped at 85'. Both in about 185' of water. Fished with anchovies.

Awesome weather out there. Fished 6-10. Released a high teen at otter and kept a mid teen at sherringham. Only two hits I had. Saw a Hali trolled up. Zero keeper crabs off the beach, but I didn't soak them long. Fish tank how was your day?

Forgot to add, I forgot bait, fish were all on cop cars

Brought the boat up from oak bay to its new home in sooke,fished 630-12 caught a 8lb hatch at otter on bait,buddy took apart the net and dropped the basket end in the drink and I broke my fenwick trying to pick up a broken crab float,nice and calm and sunny

Third day in a row - fished 6:30am till 1:30pm. Not a bite today, except rockfish and ling cod. Buddy hailed me out there on his way back from Sheringham. He said he had caught nothing either and only seen two fish come in to quite a few boats. My buddy is no beginner either!! Made me feel better as obviously not a good day for anyone.
(I know some top rods will post that today was great - but for ordinary mortals I don't think it was.....LOL:)

We fished Otter today from 6am to 10:30. One pin popper hit and that was it. Lots of bait and fish showing on the sounder, but no action (for us). There was a guy fishing by himself in a 16 footer who landed at least two nice fish (both wilds - released), but he was the only one we saw catching anything. We did hook a fully submerged crab trap and float which wrapped itself around our cannon ball and nearly ripped the down rigger off the boat near 3rd rock. Blew a fuse trying to bring it up (thought it was kelp at first). By the time we finally pulled it in by hand, replaced the fuse and got both lines back in the water we probably lost close to an hour of fishing time. At least the trap is in good shape, so we did get a keeper of sorts.

Lots of action at Aldridge first light. Released a 20+ only to see two orcas feeding 10 minutes later. Funny enough there was a lot of something feeding on tons of bait on the surface. Maybe Jacks but so close to the mammals leaving the bay I wondered if the Macs were back.

Interesting morning today with some wind and current. Fished Aldridge and the bay from 6-12. Had a hard jerk on the rod only to find half my bait missing, lost one at the boat, put an over sized wild back in the water and finally boated an 8 lb wild. Hope DFO makes some changes in the regs soon.

Took some out of town guests out this AM, fished 6-11 at aldridge, got 3 carbon copy 10lb cliped and one wild 8lb. Using chovi between 50-78 ft. Kept getting pushed off the head/aldridge area by the wind and tide so cruised across the bay and picked up (and released) a feisty 18 pounder.
Nice to take out the flatlanders, reminds me how lucky we are to get to do this!

One legal at otter point around 7 am today. 60 feet on bloody nose teaser. Went quiet after and combined with the lumpy conditions made for an early exit.

Was out yesterday with a group of 4 young ladies beginning a bachelorette early in the morning and going fishing while the guys slept in and went to Bear Mt for 36 holes. Closing in on Sheringham I noticed a good number of boats already there. When I arrived they were mostly larger Gradies I've never seen before and all from Washington. Didn't see much going on so trolled up towards PNP and we ended up hitting 7 fish, 4 landed and 3 lost. Nothing big the largest would have been 15 pounds. 75-85 feet

Out today from noon to about 4 at Otter Point. Guests didn't want to keep any fish so I got to fish Otter for the first time this year. Lost 1 good fish and then released a nice one about 23 pounds. A great scrap as it was out of the water 4 or 5 times and put on a good show for the 15 year old on the rod. Beautiful afternoon with a perfect flood that was pulling fairly hard but you could make time against it without speeding up past 2.7 mph. No weeds at all and pancake water. I heard it was really weedy in the morning down around the Island.

Back