Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Hiller was that you who I talked to today???

There was a kayak fishing off the Sooke Bluffs beside us in the fog today. They don't put out much of a radar signature but then neither do some of the glass 16 foot outboard boats with soft tops. Ever thought of installing one of those small vertical tube type radar reflectors on the front of your kayak? I have seen them on small boats with a detachable mounting.

Never heard of that were can you find one?

Roland ...some more tips that will work at Otter and any where else. When you see the charter guys all hovering around 3rd rock first thing in the morning...someone has found a fish there. You will notice us shortening our tacks and pounding that area until it seems like it is over or they may have moved. Then we will expand our search a bit. Also...take note of are the fish being caught inside of you or outside. If you keep seeing them come from closer to shore...get in there. The trick is finding where they are...once you or someone else finds them...stay on them. I'm always watching around me, farther away from me for boats that turn sideways or go dead in the water. I'll be back in the rip behind Otter and I'll see a boat go sideways up off 3rd rock and know that a bite may be coming on...and its time to get ready for action.

Never heard of that were can you find one?

I was taking to guy at the marina who had one on his small soft top glass boat. It look to me like he had it attached to a Scotty mount and it was a tube a few inches across and about 2 feet high. I understand they are designed to put out a good focused radar signal reflection from a compact design. Where we fish is high traffic and some are up on high speed plane in even the thickest fog. I would suggest going down to Trotac. I also usually have my running lights on in the fog and now you can get small battery powered LED versions that will last a long time and some come with mounts. If I was out there in a Kayak in thick fog I would want all the bells and whistles including a handheld GPS/chart plotter, handheld VHS with built in GPS and DSC , waterproof cell phone and a good flare gun. Good luck, hope you get a Tyee so large it tows you around for a while and you need a fair bit of rope to tie it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here is a report almost a limits of pinks and 8 springs today fro 2 guide boats working, nothing big 10 to 18 lbers for the springs and most of them hatchery with lots of spots????, So you say there isnt fish in sooke well here is a pic for you nows the time to take a kid fishing the little boy i had on the boat today had a blast bet you he reeled in 15 fish himself as lots were lost it was his first ever time fishing and got a nice fat little spring he loved it thats what its all about

I was in this group. We had such a fantastic day on the water with Roy and Al. Young boys on each boats with a day full of memories and some sore arms. For sure, if wolf is fishing a spot there are fish there, just stay out of his way, or, or better yet hire him or Al and get some pointers!

Thanks for the great day of fishing!

With all the talk of fog I though some of you in Sooke might find these Fog pics interesting. I took them at 145pm today.

Attachments

• Sooke 2pm.jpg
    Sooke 2pm.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 947
  • Race Rocks.jpg
    Race Rocks.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 951
Wow. Look at that! Fog is laying in a great belt like a glacier in the JDF "valley". Must be big differences in air temperature close to the sea surface compared with the rest of the air mass to cause all that water vapour to condense out

Just wait if you want to see FOG. Less than a week it will be FOGUST. Radar, Radar Reflectors and please, please Slow down people, be safe ou there. Great pictures Sidneyboy

Thanks luckyg, still lots of fish everywhere heard trap was good along with possession. we managed some very nice springs today , got to get out there to get em....

Good luck wolf

Attachments

• 2013july24.jpg
    2013july24.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 879
Great pics from above, Sidneyboy. You get a perspective that most of us don't. Thanks for sharing. Xena

Look at all those "Horsetail" clouds ....every time I see those it gets windy or there 's a change in the weather coming.....

Fished Possession 6:30 to 1:30 today, mostly in the fog. Not nearly as windy as expected. My buddy managed to bring in one nice 18 pound spring and I had another smaller spring shake the hook. We also picked up three pinks, one about seven pounds, and lost quite a few others. All the fish were on bait and the 70's produced for us. A good day.

Woke up at 7:00 am this morning. What the….? NO FOG!!

Made a snap decision to go fishing and got out about 8:30. Stuck to Bluffs/Tin shack/Trailer park area in view of late start. My wife went for pinks at 60 feet and I went right down to the bottom in 120 feet of water with the usual purple haze anchovy rig, winter style. I did get one pink down there but was mostly unmolested. Mid- morning however, got a strange bite and it turned into a fat 13lb Chinook!! The bite was just two very small nods and then nothing. I stood and stared at the rod for 20 seconds with no further movement and had decided another pink had stole by bait. As soon as I started my retrieve the Chinook was off!!
That chinook was nothing to write home about, but hey, I’ll take any summer Chinook even if I have to fish winter style to get it. Who needs Otter point?! LOL:D

P.S. My wife got 5 pinks so we called it a day at 11:30am

You don't have to fish winter style... And yes if you tell yourself not to fish areas such as otter,Muir etc your missing out big time... Lot of biggies...
I know...I know...Just joking around.....:)
Still prefer Sheringham to anywhere else, but that is just me......:rolleyes:

Woke up at 7:00 am this morning. What the….? NO FOG!!

Made a snap decision to go fishing and got out about 8:30. Stuck to Bluffs/Tin shack/Trailer park area in view of late start. My wife went for pinks at 60 feet and I went right down to the bottom in 120 feet of water with the usual purple haze anchovy rig, winter style. I did get one pink down there but was mostly unmolested. Mid- morning however, got a strange bite and it turned into a fat 13lb Chinook!! The bite was just two very small nods and then nothing. I stood and stared at the rod for 20 seconds with no further movement and had decided another pink had stole by bait. As soon as I started my retrieve the Chinook was off!!
That chinook was nothing to write home about, but hey, I’ll take any summer Chinook even if I have to fish winter style to get it. Who needs Otter point?! LOL:D

P.S. My wife got 5 pinks so we called it a day at 11:30am

We also went out in the later am for a few hours. Still a million Pinks and some Coho around. Got one 12 lb Chinook off the trailer park at 9:45 am on a silver trip planer with a Coyote green and white glow spoon on a center rod we sometimes throw out for Pinks and Coho. Could not have been more than about 30 feet down.

Pretty good day today tried going deep with anchovies for awhile looking for a Chinook but no luck. Caught a few Coho but no keepers. Decided to target pinks and did mange a couple of limits. Average 4 maybe 5lbs one big one and around 9. Used green & gold flashers and pink hootchies at around 75ft. Should have enough for a full smoker.

Forget it high five English doesnt get it... LOL
been getting fish "old school" all week and doing just fine!!!!! think you better wait till winter time to fish , you will have better luck then....
Im kidding ooppps did i say that ....

last 2 days has been harder as pinks and other fish are biting now still getting springs lots of pinks for the kids to reel in
hey take a kid fishing... or better yet ask englishman to go....

Wolf

Took a couple of friend's kids out today, tried trap shack in the morning for springs and kept 2 high teens. The 2 boys took turns on one . lost one in the 20's next to the boat and chased a dam seal for 20 min who had a beauty of a fish. it let it go 3 times and would grab it again within a couple feet next to the boat. The boys thought it was a lot of fun with me reeling like crazy and the seal next to the boat, chasing the seal again, repeat and probably learned some new words coming out of my mouth. Went out deeper and used trout rods for some pinks, they had fun.
The trap was really busy with boats and I don't understand why people would stop the boat and reel all the lines in to fight and net a 5lb pink!!! Trying to keep a good tack , set gear, clear weeds and then trying to do the right thing and give the guy in front of you some room who is stopped and must be fighting a good fish.

Back