Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

When out again this morning, off of Sooke, Possessioin PT....The FOG was thick and so was the pinks. Left at Noon was getting tried of the FOG, released 4 Wild Coho, and 2 small springs. 4 Pinks for the smoker that is now full.
Hope the weather is better tomorrow,(NO FOG):mad:

The wind should blow that fog away for you tomorrow. LOL

The dark fish was probably a mature jack spring. They can look pretty dark on the back.

Wishin I was fishin

Tips

Fished 7am till 1:30 pm today. Fog, fog and more fog! Never really cleared, even when we were leaving. Fished Otter for the first 3 hours with not a touch except for one very small Pink released. Tried shallow and deeper with anchovies, spoons and hootchies to no avail.

I don't really get Otter. Never have done any good there...I think I have only ever caught one 6lb chinook there in 4 summers of trying. All our (very limited!) summer chinook have either come from Trap or Sheringham, including the big guy a month ago at the latter. Pity it was too foggy to run down there today.

Anyway after giving up on Otter again, trolled west towards Muir in foggy sunshine and picked up our limit of Pinks fishing shallow in 50-80 feet of water. Saw a couple of decent chinooks come in to other boats around Muir but did not see anybody get anything at Otter. Nice day on the water but wind was strange as it kept calming down and then springing up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Englishman I remember two summers ago fishing at Otter in early August. I had a wicked couple days limiting on springs by about 9am (but starting at first light).

On this day after we had our limit we tried drifting off Gordon's beach for a halibut. No luck there but while drifting we saw this fish shaped purple looking flasher getting towed along the surface with a nice spring attached. i tried casting to it with no luck then it dissapeared.

later that day you posted about your day fishing and how you (or your partner) broke one off flasher and all. it was a dandy fish let me tell you!

Not certain that was your fish I saw but I do remember that so you've had at least one good one on at Otter!

Thats fine english stay away its no good there ....I hate it too .....you weren't really paying to much attention it appears.......

lots of fish out there manged a high 20 and 3 others .....

good luck Wolf

Is that a 20 with squint eyes? LOL

Thats fine english stay away its no good there ....I hate it too .....you weren't really paying to much attention it appears.......

good luck Wolf

Englishman I remember two summers ago fishing at Otter in early August. I had a wicked couple days limiting on springs by about 9am (but starting at first light).

On this day after we had our limit we tried drifting off Gordon's beach for a halibut. No luck there but while drifting we saw this fish shaped purple looking flasher getting towed along the surface with a nice spring attached. i tried casting to it with no luck then it dissapeared.

later that day you posted about your day fishing and how you (or your partner) broke one off flasher and all. it was a dandy fish let me tell you!

Not certain that was your fish I saw but I do remember that so you've had at least one good one on at Otter!
Think I remember the post GDW. I recall a line breaking after being wrapped round the downrigger cable at Otter, I think. However, if the one you saw was purple and "fish shaped" it was not mine!

good luck Wolf
Yeah right Wolf.You hate it LOL.
You obviously get it at Otter, just like you fully understand everywhere along the Sooke coastal area. However, even for you Otter is unusual. I have seen you lots of times at Possession but rarely at Otter, so I don't think it is even your favourite....
Not that it matters much, as you could catch fish in a barrel LOL

I don't really get Otter. Never have done any good there..

What! OMG Otter is awesome you just have to know when to fish it....
Well I was obviously there at the right time as Wolf was there and so were three other Charters that I saw.
So it must be me and my technique or lack of one....I just don't get Otter at all and pretty much nothing I have tried there has worked.

Started out today off Secretary. Not a touch after 90 minutes so went further out looking for Pinks opposite the bluffs. Not a thing (what a contrast to two days ago!!) . Abandoned that and headed for Otter at 10:30am and en route my daughter caught a very small hatch Chinook. So having avoided a skunking we took this as a good omen and set up at Otter at 90’ and after 20 minutes got a big hit. Thing was pulling hard and then when the downrigger came up – horrors! line was wrapped once round the cable. Reached for the snubber to try a quick up and over but Bang too late…and the fish plus terminal gear was gone. Another beginners lesson for me I suppose….. LOL . Anyway day was finally saved from near disaster, by another hit 30 minutes later and managed a short, very fat, 11 lb’der. Also released a small wild Coho, but mystery where the pinks were today?

Got to love the search function, thought you might like to re live that one from 2011! Sounds like it wasnt your fish I saw but your memory is sharp you even remembered how you lost it! Better to have been bit and lost then to never get bit at all - or something like that.

I'm off to renfrew for 4 days then maybe MAYBE my first trip to Sooke this year - but only if victoria isn't still on fire!

Otter's Hotter. My favourite place to fish.

Roland I fish where the fish are being caught I love possession 6 reefs to work and as a business operator if I can get fih there and save money I WILL. I have had many many a fish over 40 lbs caught there. I move around ALOT because it pays off I know and you will to one day figure out tides, currents patterns there ARE MANY factors why I get fish along with many other charter guys.

I will throw you a bone though if you see 8 charter guys at a spot have you ever asked yourself why they are there????:) hhhmmmm its a thinker LOL

Got to love the search function, thought you might like to re live that one from 2011! Sounds like it wasnt your fish I saw but your memory is sharp you even remembered how you lost it! Better to have been bit and lost then to never get bit at all - or something like that.

I'm off to renfrew for 4 days then maybe MAYBE my first trip to Sooke this year - but only if victoria isn't still on fire!
Good one GDW! Your memory is excellent too as you remembered my 2011 post in association with the flasher and fish you saw. What I had forgotten was the 11 lb'der. So I was wrong and I have caught a grand total of two chinook at Otter! LOL

Not gonna lie, I was looking for Wolfs boat when I fished Sooke for the first time last weekend. Lol.

fished yesterday with niece &husband. newbies loved the pinks. 13 between the four of us. fished today just us and the fog two humpies, one wild coho, released. Managed a white 17 lber, headed for the smoker! Unfortunately, one of the humpies we released, went into the propeller/guard. Nasty blender pink, looked like JAWS! Xena

One of my brothers was down from up Island and has an empty freezer. Had planned to go west but with the thick Fog decided to stay out front starting around 9:00 am. Released a few nice Coho and filled up on some bigger Pinks and then got a nice red clipped 16 pound Chinook in the afternoon at 65 feet when the current began to ease off. Very long thin fish with lots of spots on the tail. Fished both our fav killer plastic and chovies and today the plastic was out fishing chovies including the Chinook. His wife loves fish and crabs so should make some points.

Was at otter today for a couple of hours before work in my kayak. Had 2 pinks and lost one good sized chinook right beside me. :( Still waiting to land my first big chinook from a kayak. Good luck!!!

Was at otter today for a couple of hours before work in my kayak. Had 2 pinks and lost one good sized chinook right beside me. :( Still waiting to land my first big chinook from a kayak. Good luck!!!

There was a kayak fishing off the Sooke Bluffs beside us in the fog today. They don't put out much of a radar signature but then neither do some of the glass 16 foot outboard boats with soft tops. Ever thought of installing one of those small vertical tube type radar reflectors on the front of your kayak? I have seen them on small boats with a detachable mounting.

Back