Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

I made it 360 so that tomorrow will be included too with today . lol No slot size where I'm fishing.

FB, that broken Trophy...did it happen by trying to release it from the rigger? If so it is all about the angle the rod is at when you go to pull it out of the clip. I use the 9 foot Trophy, used to be called a bucktail rod. I don't let customers pull it free for that reason....they just start yarding on it. I wind down on it quickly until the line is super taunt and with the rod tip pointed towards the water, then give it a quick, short tug to free it.

Wow what a 360 from yesterday. Just a beauty day all day. Went west and landed 5 spring out of 7, largest 21 pounds. Three of the 5 were hatchery. Toss a couple wild Coho and a couple socks and get 6 pinks. Great and enjoyable day.

what area where you in!?
nice haul...I cant keep them pinks off my line haven't seen any springs.

Avoiding the pinks is hit and miss...yesterday at the light it was sloppy, foggy, probably 2 dozen pinks in an hour and a half then the final straw was getting all 3 lines and the kicker prop into a crap trap line. Moved back east and managed a 21 and a 13. Today at the light the pinks were manageable, the water flat, no fog, fww boats and a nice catch. I guess that is a 180. lol

The few trips I've taken I've hit the lighthouse Rollie, like the time I talked to you and headed up west only to hear that where you were turned on... I just wanna save on the fuel bill a bit now... Glad you still have your humor! See you out there soon! Seaweed is ready to slay! Lol

Avoiding the pinks is hit and miss...yesterday at the light it was sloppy, foggy, probably 2 dozen pinks in an hour and a half then the final straw was getting all 3 lines and the kicker prop into a crap trap line. Moved back east and managed a 21 and a 13. Today at the light the pinks were manageable, the water flat, no fog, fww boats and a nice catch. I guess that is a 180. lol

Had that happen earlier this season. Two rods and one downrigger ball tangled up in a commercial float line in a good current pushing a heavy boat sideways while trying to hold on to the float line, slide the cable and ball up it and get back the gear. Got everything back but one flasher and hootchie. Seems like there are more commercial crab lines around than ever and they seem to be getting set more in some of the prime fishing spots. If the current is pushing them those commercial floats can be downwind farther than I thought from the anchor and they must have an engine block attached to them because you can’t pull them up to free your gear. At least with sport traps you can pull them up.

I took my eye off of where I was a bit too long dealing with triple header pinks. I got everything back but had to cut the float off to get it out of the prop

Was anyone here in the browish boat with what looked like a family in it behind the little green and white one at the head yesterday around one? Seriously Ive been caught in sloppy chop at the head but this was 6ft roller plus the sloppy chop deadliest catch ****. I didnt realized we got those in Sooke. Was better going back as we went out a bit further and was better could ride the waves in but wtf and there was two doods in a tinny with no life jackets on headed out. becarful out there people!

Lots of fish still out there awesome fishing all my clients are leaving extremely happy with bags of fish. getting a bit of everything now and a few crab to boot.
Get out there people, now is the time and best part its only going to get better restrictions lifted and more fish coming......

Good luck wolf

Lots of fish still out there awesome fishing all my clients are leaving extremely happy with bags of fish. getting a bit of everything now and a few crab to boot.
Get out there people, now is the time and best part its only going to get better restrictions lifted and more fish coming......

Good luck wolf

Good advice Roy. The Sooke Chamber of Commerce should have you on retainer. Talked us into it and will drive out to Sooke in a few minutes.

Yesterday morning was beauty out wow today morning was nice but later SE and 3 fters managed some teen and a low 20 lots of littles again but kept only a few some short release some on purpose. LOL LOL still awesome to be able to go and get this quality of fish 5 too 30 mins from the dock oh and some good grab today as well

Wolf

Yes it was a great day on the water the same as Wolfy in the chinook department. Lots of small pinks. See what happens tomorrow.
By the way no need to rush out and make a big wake pass all the boats from the Sooke boat ramp. Thanks

Yes myself, addicted and rambo decided to head out west to see if we could find a biggy we could actually keep and found one. It weighed in at 50.2 lbs. Pretty exciting battle. Manage to rangle up some other solid fish too and slid down to otter for a few tacks and managed up a feeder to wrap up the night. Great day on the water I wont soon forget.

Attachments

• 995733_10151735758056578_2147299772_n.jpg
    995733_10151735758056578_2147299772_n.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 5,338
Last edited by a moderator:
Back