Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Out from 6-12 at Otter, scratched up two 15 lbs. Chins and went through 4 packs o Bait. Awesome Water and lots of Action. Good Day Driller

I usually add a swivel between Coho Killer and hook. Since then I buy only 2 or 3 a year instead of a dozen or more.

Hit sooke for the first time today, set up off possession pt and trolled a little out side the pack. Non stop pink and coho action. Double skirt white hootchy was killer for the coho. Bait was to much hassle off shore. We hit fish from 100 up to 30 feet. Had a large pod of orcas swim right under our boat. Pretty entertaining for all on board. Hit a ten pound spring right after that. 100 with the double skirt. Really nice day out there. Saw a 36 hit the cleaning table yesterday afternoon, some big ones out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if monster Chins will hit a Coho Killer.......does that open the door for other very small spoons?

Any of you guys tried the 2 1/2 inch TKO Glow Cop Car down there?

That ones' a killer up this way......sold at Pac Net but available elsewhere I would guess.....

Fished Possession this am with a couple of buddies and had what we think was a 10 or 12 lber on for a bit before it shook the hook. Then went well off shore for Pinks and Ho’s. Release a few nice Ho’s but nowhere near as many as there was out there just a few days ago or else there are just so many more Pinks now beating the Coho’s to the lures. Loaded up on Pinks including some real big ones which pop the pin. Finally hit a couple of nice Chinook down deep offshore (double header) one spite the hook out a ways, but the other one which my buddy thought was another large Pink was lost about three feet from the net and was in the high teens or low twenties. It had made one run and then came straight in while we raced to get the net out of its holder once we saw what it was, so no Chinook in the boat; some days are like that. All caught on glow plastic. Also released some small feeder Chinook which were down over 100 feet, one of which was clipped in the 3 to 5 lb class .

Towed the boat out to Sooke today to get into some fish. Was well worth it. Pretty much non stop action. Mostly pinks. A few wild coho, couple undersized chinook, and one sockeye. Got our limit of pinks. In the brine as I type this. Probably had at least 30 fish on. Tried a few things that are pretty new for me and my buddy on the salt. Mini flashers and small squirts and spoons, kone zone dummy with bait or spoon clipped to the rigger, fly rod clipped to downrigger, and my new favourite which was apex 40' back on the surface on fly rod and reel. Great times playing fish on the fly rod, or regular rods without flashers. Highly recommend trying this. Also recommend trying some of those old or classic shiny spoons you may have. A small silver Pt Defiance spoon did quite well.

Wow what a day on the water! lost a dozen, released another dozen, released five beauty 8-9 lb sockeye damn!
kept 7 pinks and found one hatch coho. Will smoke it Sunday with one humpy. Gave the rest the friends and family! Xena

Dad and I went out yesterday and fished an hour before, during and after low tide. Managed to land 5 pinks and lost at least 8, a few at the boat. We were just fishing for pinkies that day. Gorgeous day on the water!

Wow beautiful day out on the water! Lots of pinks around the trap shack, kept two which are currently sitting in the brine destined for the smoker in the morning. :p

Out Sat afternoon for a few hours. Released 10-15 pinks and about 5 wild coho. 1, 5 lb hatch coho came home. Anchovy in green glow and gold betsy saw most of the action. Alternated the otherside with a 5" wonderbread spoon, purple haze hootch and army truck hootch. All behind a cracked ice purple glow flasher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes after the weeks big blows today was a beauty. Started off with a slow morning and ony a 10 pound spring until we decided to move west. The move paid off with a 27, 22 and an 18 1/2 plus 3 Coho and we kept a pink to fill the limit. Released lots of pinks and a sockeye. The 27 was white and the 18 1/2 was a hatchery. Saw the whales twice today off shore a bit, heading east the first time this morning then heading west in the afternoon.

What a great day out. Limited out on pinks. A couple of nice slabs too. The smoker is going to bue happy to be back at work.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yesterday, My friend and I fished from 7 am till 1 pm. We caught 7 pink and two hatchery coho. We released two wild cohos.

We looked for springs and nothing happened.

We got back to Eqs , I saw other boat caught 4 nice hatchery springs between 10 lbs and 18 lbs . He said that they caught from Conny bank and lot of springs out there.

Discus

6 am to 11 am, fishing for pinks with 3 buddies in the fog, wholly it was foggy today, dont really mind it at all though just gotta pay more attention . They had a blast and we caught quick limits, no coho today. 500 ft of water off of the trap was non stop action, little tried and true small pink hootchie gave the most action. Damn im going to miss the views and quaintness of beacher bay when those condos go up. Gotta get a whole bunch of photos before it happens. Good times with good friends.

Got out around 8:00 am with ‘2xeagle16’ who likes to bring his own gear. Thick fog so decided to stay local and fish Possession Point. Took one pass and found out everyone had the same idea as it was loaded up with boats all trying to fish in thick fog and getting in each others way. We moved off out onto the Flats out front where not many boats were showing up on the radar. 2xeagle hits one at 55 feet in 115 with an anchovy and a double glow tape white flasher.

Then all hell breaks loose, as when he yanks his Fenwick off the rigger at the same time the Chinook runs, the Chinese made Fenwick explodes. I am talking breaking into three main pieces, the front piece of which is down with the fish and some smaller ones including cork flying all over the deck. So now he is playing it with just the reel on a short broken rod butt while I bring up gear and doing my best to hold up one of the broken rod pieces the line is going through so he can let it run a little easier and trying to keep an eye out for other boats in the fog.
Got it in the net at 83 cm and 16.5lbs and a great story.

I understand the remains of the Fenwick will be going back to Outfitters to see what they say. Rather boring after that; threw back some unclipped Coho and kept 6 of the larger Pinks.

Earlier this year I landed a 23 lb spring and on the hook set it broke into 4 pieces and it was my first fish on the new rod. Got a new one for a $10 warranty fee. It was a 10'6 hmx.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373847497.707602.jpg

Cannibal Chris.

Back