Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Nice to hear about someone using a plug. I have a number of old plugs that I got from my grand father and yesterday I decided that I would make it a mission to catch something using one of these. Nothing yesterday but I am sure it will happen. More so having seen your fish Bugs.

IMO, plugs do work well for winter spring. I have had good success with them on Constance Bank. 5" and glow in the dark have worked well.

I had success with 6" tomic plugs on Alberni Inlet for chinooks and coho. White plugs with red eyes or silver plugs were a ticket.

Out from cheanuh yesterday, last hali trip of the year. We got our 2 . Weather was great. Time to focus on some prawns.

They came from where they were, went where they were going! Most often that is where the food was going!

Hope that helps ;)

Yes, I hear what you're saying, but the post made it sound like they arrived from somewhere like migratory fish in the summer and fall do. We all know you have to find fish, but the feeders are in the area, just need to find some structure deep.

Friday, December the 13th winter spring.jpg

Got our limit in a couple hours...the biggest being just over 15 lbs.
Just east of Otter Point with UV Hootchies on bottom 120'.
Some great winter spring fishing!

Recreational fishers are reminded that fishing for lingcod and rockfish will
close as scheduled effective October 1, 2013 until further notice as follows:

Lingcod will close to fishing in the following areas:
Areas: 12-1 to 12-13, 12-15 to 12-48, 13 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5.

Rockfish (Rockfish and Yelloweye Rockfish in the aggregate) will close to
fishing in the following areas:
Areas: 12 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5.

Nice work out there FISH, makes me want to see if I can get out soon. Alas, may not be until January now. Darn hockey season interfering with fishing! :p

homer-doh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Family and social commitments kept us off the water for a month, but fished Harbour Mouth to Otter today from 9:30am till 2:15pm. BWD said it would be calm today and so it proved – dead flat and not much noticeable tide. We had a few incidents although it was a bit slow for us.

Got a hit on anchovy at 135’ in 155’ of water. At first just a couple of heavy bangs on the rod, then it started going down and away from the direction of our troll. A bit heavy handed with the palm and bang, the mainline went so lost my gear. We had the same thing happen to us two winters ago in about the same area, although that was on a hootch. Would love to know if it was a halibut or a seal!!

Couple of hours later now in 120’ of water, missed two quick hits. Then finally got another decent hit on glo green teaser head and was real surprised to crank in a 12lb chicken hali. First one I ever caught trolling and in fact first hallie to my boat since I only fish for those from a buddie’s anchor equipped boat. 30 mins later lost a smallish Chinook at the boat and that was all she wrote.

Coming back in about 2:30pm there was a very large school of porpoises in the harbour mouth. They were spread over a wide area but must have been at least 50-60 animals leaping about. A neat ending to wrap up fishing for 2013!

Merry Christmas to one and all!!

A small chicken is better than no turkey at all...:)

Feliz Navidad!

Went out solo today in my 14 ft tinner. Fished just out of the harbor mouth . Started in 110 feet of water I didn't even have time to set the drag and I get a pin popper. Bring up an 8 lb spring. Get that back down and start on the second rod. I get that down and I see a light hit. Bring it up and it was a small ling( released).
Turn my head and the other rod fires. A 6 lb spring. Got my limit in less than 15 minutes. Felt like the coho times of the summer. A little choppy but great day fishing.
All fish were on glow hootchie and a fast troll(coho speed).

Went out again today in the old 14 ft tinner from 12:00 to about 1:00. Same spot. Went with three generations, my dad(78) and my son(11). We picked up a nice 13 lber and a 6 lber released about a 3 to 4 lber and lost one. Got my dad to bring in the 13 lber, it was the biggest fish he has ever caught. Great day out there where is everyone? Only saw a couple of boats. Hootchies again and same depth.

Went out front yesterday 12-3 ish. 100-140 ft of water. Small spoons and hoochies both worked. Released half a dozen small ones, and lost one pin popper.
Calm waters and not toooo cold :)
Merry X-Mas!

Back