Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

An absolutely great day out of Sooke harbour mouth today. We had planned to fish halibut, but after reading the whale reports for the past few days, our kids really wanted to see them so we decided we wanted to be more mobile and go for salmon. We weren't disappointed. Heading straight out of the harbour mouth we first came across a large group of sea lions playing in the sun, rolling on their bellies with flippers up. Just past them, we found ourselves in a super pod of porpoises. Stopped and watched their show for a while, daughter absolutely loved that. We then pulled out a little further to about 450' and dropped the rods, and after one shaker released in first 10 minutes, my wife yelled WHALE! The humpback was not too far from us, and put on a pretty good show, doing its thing. After a period of whalewatching, we boated away from that area over towards trailerpark. Between noon and one, a short bite came on and we had several hits, lost the first coho at the boat, but got the next two in. A beauty day on water, and this was probably the first trip that our daughter truly enjoyed, with all the marine animals on display! Here she is keeping an eye on the rod!IMG_20131027_132700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great picture Adler and wonderful for the kids to see all those marine mammals. Sure is a beauty October we have had but I feel sure the monsoons must start soon. The fish need the rain to get up to the spawning beds. They are all holding in the lower pools on the Sooke River and Demamiel Creek at the moment.
Congrats on the coho - we could not find any on Tuesday when we were out.

New to the forum, just signed up today. Was out by myself today from 9:30 till 1:00. Caught 2 6lb springs. Trolling in 500ish feet of water from a point south of race rocks to secretary island. 68' and 99' on the girliest looking pink, purple and white hoochies that my 5 year old daughter picked out for me.

Welcome to the site :) Been out anymore? Lots of great advice here on VI fishing.

With that new spot your in it was only a matter of time?

Welcome to the site :) Been out anymore? Lots of great advice here on VI fishing.

With that new spot your in it was only a matter of time?

I just got my boat going at the end of september, but I've been out pretty much every weekend since then. Not much luck this weekend, 1 5lb spring on saturday, and nothing but 1 little shaker yesterday. I haven't seen many of the coho people are talking about.

Hey there static, I have been getting the coho in about 300 to 500 ft of water straight out of sooke harbour using hootchies on short leaders with a very fast troll, 3.5 to 4.0 knots. They won't stay around for long. good luck

we got most of ours straight out beecher bay in 450 ft 30" leader with a white glow hootchie. But people seem to be having luck with bait still. I would have tired that if I knew. Kind of to the Head and left and out. Secretary is usually always good too. We found if you start hitting them do the circle back over the area again. Not sure what electronics you have but no fun in the fog with no gps. Also really pay attention to wind. I like big wave dave. There is a combo, I think its a ew wind on the flood is fine but as soon as it turns to a outgoing tide it can getting really snotty going around the head. We dont usually go out in 15's either. All depends on your size and power of course. The last few months have been good but it seemed like we were always getting into it in the early summer not sure why.

Went out solo from 10:30 to 12:30. Tried for coho and needed to go into 500 plus feet of water and 120 feet on the rigger until I finally picked up an 8 lb hatchery. That was the only coho hit of the day. Trolled in and started picking up small winter springs most were undersized but ended up keeping a 4 to 5 lb one that was a bleeder. It looking like winter spring fishing is starting and coho is finishing. Big change from last Friday where I had 7 10 lb plus ones to the boat. Saw a few humpback whales again but they were also further out. I also saw a large otter floating on its back. That is the first one that I have seen here. I have seen many of those up island but none in sooke. There was also a big pile of sea lions hanging out in the bay just floating on their sides in a cluster. Those guys have been hanging out there for about a month now. This year seems to have way more mammals than in previous years. It is very neat to see. All and all it was a good solo trip got to keep 2 today.

Out today from 9-4, started out 600' between race rocks and secretary, on line 100+ one around 50, nothing happened out there but found a school of shakers. Then went into whirl bay, one line 100+ again, 1 at 50, took a long time but finally got an 8 lb wild coho at 50'.

Still some decent Coho action out there folks!
Nice day, some swell and a few whales spotted off shore.

10:30 - 3 Aldridge - Head 300 - 500'; 80-120' bait - hit 12 - kept 5; 3 wild ;2 hatch...:)

That is unusually good coho fishing for the 1st week of November. Lets hope this becomes a yearly trend!

Yes it's great to get a prolonged Coho season. It really doesn't surprise me seeing them this late;with the lack of recent rain and this October being one of the driest ones on record; consistent numbers & great returns in recent years could bode well for the future...

So that's what you called me for at zero butt fudge early for.. Wish I answered.

I was geared up for a lazy day though

Anyone notice a salmon missing one of there pelvic fins? Ive never looked for it or noticed. I know some of you guys are interested in where your fish might be coming from. I never knew americans sometimes clip one of the pelvic fins as marking aswell. Sounds like some Colombians get it done.

Anyone notice a salmon missing one of there pelvic fins? Ive never looked for it or noticed. I know some of you guys are interested in where your fish might be coming from. I never knew americans sometimes clip one of the pelvic fins as marking aswell. Sounds like some Colombians get it done.

Were you watching the the same show as me? I think the guide said those clipped fish were sponsored by the gill enters in Washington, caught in the Buoy 10 fishery.

Anyone been out after winters? Thinking of yakkin it at some point this weekend.
T2

Only one way to find out T2....

Hope she is flat for ya
bth_cheers.gif

just my 2 bits but it's a bit cold out there ;inclement weather and all...can be a challenge even for bigger boats, winters are about going deep and bottom bouncing - something that could prove difficult fishing from a yak.
Good luck and play it safe buddy...

Thanx boys. I've been catching already today ---a bad cold! I'll be riding the couch not the yak.
T2

Looks like about 100+ porpoise have been off the bluffs for a week or two and are still there.

Back