Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

I yakked out of Pedder yesterday morning and fished by the navy buoy--no salmon for me.it seemed quiet--any of the power boaters that were fishing the same spot end up with salmon? I gave up trolling and moved to the hole on the south side of the bay to try jigging. All I got was this guy--and yes, he was released.

T2

Tried Pedder today, 10:00 - 1:30 not a single bite. Went from crazy buzy last week to nothing for us today. Maybe I'll try east sooke or beechy head tomorrow.

Fished trailer park 8-11 today until the wind got really $hitty. Kept 3. Lost a few, released a bunch. When the bite was on it was on..... Double header then couldn't keep two rods in the water for about 20 mins. Was nice to get out with a buddy

Fished right out from the entrance yesterday. Once I hit the 100' depth, put downriggers at 111. got a double header immediately. Landed 10 in about 2 hours. Kept 4 threw the rest back. Got really nasty out there. Used white glow hootchies with a short leader and a green glow flasher. Looks like it will be nice today. Best of luck to who ever goes out!!!

Westburg, was it the sooke harbour entrance ? We were out today and it was calm and sunny. We fished trailer park to sooke entrance and brought 3 nice ones home. Nothing to write home about but was a great day on the water.

fished 10 to 3 today from Sooke Harbour mouth to Trailer park and back. 2 right off the bat on anchovy, then a few shakers which used up the bait and no bites after noon on plastic or spoons.

Oak Bay Sea Rescue is on the water today from Oak Bay to Sooke. We will be doing joint training with the boys from Sooke. For gas money we are also doing safety checks. They gave us bling to hand out for each check we do. If you don't mind, wave us over.
I promise not to GPS your favourite Hali hole. :)

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/-1798636.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Westburg, was it the sooke harbour entrance ? We were out today and it was calm and sunny. We fished trailer park to sooke entrance and brought 3 nice ones home. Nothing to write home about but was a great day on the water.

Marula, yes it was Sooke Harbour entrance. Did the North/south path. Wanted to do the trailer park to entrance but with 2 - 3 metre waves and high winds, we were limited on how and where we fished. Just glad to be out there on my birthday.

Also out in front of the harbour west to trailer park yesterday. Awesome time! No wind, flat calm waters and plenty of springs around. Most were small and barely keepers. My son must have brought in at least a dozen 2-3 lbs shakers until we found a few larger ones a bit deeper and further out. Anywhere from 140 - 200' depth produced. Ended up with a 6 and 13 in the box. A couple more keeper sizers shook the hook in sight of the net. Day finished with a great porpoise show in front of the bluffs.

IMG_4046.jpgIMG_4053.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice fish there Chris. Your son sure looks just like you. Oh well he cannot have it all HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your family and to all on these waters.

Went out today 8-12:30 fished from Beecher bay to the trap shack. Lots of 2-3lb fish released today, 2 double header and 1 ling cod. Nothing to keep today, nice morning out there with a few boats out there as well. Anyone out there today have any keepers?

Wicked flat waters today, no fish to clean today for my crew, try again tomorrow.
cheers

nice osprey zooming by...

Fished Sooke yesterday 10-1
Kept 1 around 9lb, released 1 smaller, lost 1 and a few shakers.
All action was right away then went quiet.
Fish we kept had a 5" squid in its belly.
Few undersized crab in trap.

Nice to get out.

Tips

fished sooke harbour to trailer park yesterday, 100 to 140 depth plowing bottom. coho killer outperformed with glow white and purple hootchie right behind. we kept 3, released and lost maybe 5 more. two hatch and one wild which turned out to be a white spring. Glow flasher performed well also. I got some great buddies that will still brave the cold to go fishing with me !

I love winter fishing, hats off to you other fellow fisherman i seen out there which brave the cold and frost to get out and savour our west coast fishing.

Went out today in my friends boat. Fished out front for 2 hours picked up one keeper lost two. Went to Muir for hali, no luck. Came back to the front for the last hour and picked up two nice ones. We ended up with a 15 lber, 12 lber and a 7 lber. The 15 put up a great fight, unbelievable fishing this winter lots of fish and good sized ones. We also had lots of shakers and released a few 3 to 4 lbers. Here is a picture of the 15 against a measuring tape. 80.5 cm long. IMG_1444e.jpg.

I like the pics guys!

Back