Something Wicked This Way Comes - ON THE LINE

Recent poll suggests that 84% of Albertan's would rather refine the tar sands at home and supply the rest of Canada with the oil. Wonder who the heck is backing this project .... Wait it's the government and the china bed fellows.
It all comes down to getting 2 or 3 dollars a barrel more from china then they could from eastern Canada.
Some would sell there soul and there children's soul for a buck.
Glad there are guy's across the boarder that are questioning there governments actions.
GLG

Actually it's the workers who want the employment. The companies would rather ship the bitumen. Just like our forest industry. At one point, few if any logs were exported and mills employed a lot of people. Then Socred/liberal government opened it up, 80% of logs are now exported companies make as much or more. They have very little overhead while we have lost all those jobs and will never get them back. The pressure is on by government and industry to do the same in Alberta.

i think if the refining capability were in place in Alberta, they would not be looking to pipe it out as a raw product. fact is, there are very few refineries capable of handling bitumen oil. gulf coast of the US as well as california are all i know about.

So true I wish they would do that. The excuse used is not enough manpower to do the jobs.

i think if the refining capability were in place in Alberta, they would not be looking to pipe it out as a raw product. fact is, there are very few refineries capable of handling bitumen oil. gulf coast of the US as well as california are all i know about.

I was working at Suncor w hen oil peaked at around 1
$135 or so a barrel. Their second upgraded onsite was purported making $800,000 an hour profit. PROFIT! Kind of gives you an idea of the type of money the companies earn. I understand Suncor'a Voyageur project across the road I s getting the green light and will re-commence construction soon.

Heard the dog and pony show will be in Comox at the end of this month.
It's there south BC hearings..... Why it's not in Vancouver ??????
GLG

Before you believe much or any of that, you might want to take a look at his "Political" associations! :eek:

Political organizer and aide While he was a student-at-law, Levant was an active political organizer in the Reform Party, and guided the successful attempts by Rahim Jaffer (as the campaign manager for his nomination in Edmonton-Strathcona and later as his communications-director during the 1997 Federal Election) and Rob Anders to win party nominations.[SUP][10][/SUP] In 1997, he went to Ottawa to work for the Reform Party, becoming a parliamentary aide to party leader Preston Manning and being put in charge of Question Period strategy.[SUP][6][/SUP] Along with newly-elected MP's Rob Anders, Jason Kenney and Rahim Jaffer, Levant was part of an up and coming group of young Reformers which pundits dubbed the "Snack Pack" due to their relative youth.

In 1999, after being dismissed as Preston Manning's legislative-assistant, Levant left Ottawa to join the editorial board of the fledgling National Post newspaper in Toronto.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP] A close friend of Stockwell Day's son Logan, Levant proclaimed himself a "Stockaholic"[SUP][12][/SUP] and supported the elder Day in his successful attempt to defeat Reform Party leader Preston Manning for the leadership of the new Canadian Alliance.[SUP][]

In February 2001, he returned to Ottawa as communications director to Day.[SUP][13][/SUP] In May of that year he resigned after leaking to the National Post a letter that he sent to dissident MP Chuck Strahl in which he threatened to sue over Strahl's criticisms of his office.[SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][16]
[/SUP]
[edit] Candidacy and resignation

Later in 2001, Levant returned to Calgary to practice law. By February 2002 he had won the Canadian Alliance party nomination for the riding of Calgary Southwest,[SUP][17][/SUP] but stepped aside after public pressure so that new party leader Stephen Harper could run there in a 2002 by-election. When the by-election was called, Levant, who said he spent over $150,000 to gain the nomination,[SUP][18][/SUP] announced on March 28 that he would not step aside.[SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][19][/SUP] Later that night, however, he relented after widespread pressure from the party and accusations that he was putting himself ahead of the party.[SUP][20]

Once you read the above... you can decide: Is he loyal to his party? Does "talk with forked tongue"! :rolleyes:

FYI... The one and ONLY thing that put a "hold" on the Keystone Pipeline is the 12,000-13,000 protesting citizens that showed up on Obama's doorstep on a crisp November morning... google it! Oh, btw... you'll be starting to hear some more on that pipeline as it is NOT DEAD... just on "HOLD"!

Harper and gonies just at work spreading their BS. It really does put things in prospective. Bush and Obama both were/are harmless compared Harper. Harper is downright dangerous!

As usual Charlie you are a wealth of information. Puts a little different twist on it, thanks

Harper and gonies just at work spreading their BS. It really does put things in prospective. Bush and Obama both were/are harmless compared Harper. Harper is downright dangerous!

in another thread, someone took the time to point out the differences in governance between our two countries. what is important for canadians to realize is our president is pretty much a figure head. the incumbent has very few powers to act and change things other than the veto. our congress determines what happens and how. it would be wise to watch just how our 2012 election shapes up. if the rightwing christian extremists succeed in holding congress, all bets are off for this countries future. if this same group installs their canidate in the white house, be prepared to start building a fence along our border denying access to everyone from the US. if this set of circumstances comes to pass, guard your finances as you will see the US sink to the level of any ordinary 3rd world country, that is how serious this coming election really is.

to challenge the harper government and their actions, you only have a single choice, litigation. you should be alligning your ideas with a conservation group that represents canadian interests. sending them money with your ideas and demanding court action is the one and only way you are going to stop the harper government from installing their rape of the land ideas and their screwing of hard working canadians in BC. if you find such a group and they are willing to take court action, make sure you identify them as there are lots of us S of the border who will chip in some coin.

I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents.Sir Winston Churchill

Before you believe much or any of that, you might want to take a look at his "Political" associations! :eek:

Political organizer and aide While he was a student-at-law, Levant was an active political organizer in the Reform Party, and guided the successful attempts by Rahim Jaffer (as the campaign manager for his nomination in Edmonton-Strathcona and later as his communications-director during the 1997 Federal Election) and Rob Anders to win party nominations.[SUP][10][/SUP] In 1997, he went to Ottawa to work for the Reform Party, becoming a parliamentary aide to party leader Preston Manning and being put in charge of Question Period strategy.[SUP][6][/SUP] Along with newly-elected MP's Rob Anders, Jason Kenney and Rahim Jaffer, Levant was part of an up and coming group of young Reformers which pundits dubbed the "Snack Pack" due to their relative youth.

In 1999, after being dismissed as Preston Manning's legislative-assistant, Levant left Ottawa to join the editorial board of the fledgling National Post newspaper in Toronto.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP] A close friend of Stockwell Day's son Logan, Levant proclaimed himself a "Stockaholic"[SUP][12][/SUP] and supported the elder Day in his successful attempt to defeat Reform Party leader Preston Manning for the leadership of the new Canadian Alliance.[SUP][]

In February 2001, he returned to Ottawa as communications director to Day.[SUP][13][/SUP] In May of that year he resigned after leaking to the National Post a letter that he sent to dissident MP Chuck Strahl in which he threatened to sue over Strahl's criticisms of his office.[SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][16]
[/SUP]
[edit] Candidacy and resignation

Later in 2001, Levant returned to Calgary to practice law. By February 2002 he had won the Canadian Alliance party nomination for the riding of Calgary Southwest,[SUP][17][/SUP] but stepped aside after public pressure so that new party leader Stephen Harper could run there in a 2002 by-election. When the by-election was called, Levant, who said he spent over $150,000 to gain the nomination,[SUP][18][/SUP] announced on March 28 that he would not step aside.[SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][19][/SUP] Later that night, however, he relented after widespread pressure from the party and accusations that he was putting himself ahead of the party.[SUP][20]

Once you read the above... you can decide: Is he loyal to his party? Does "talk with forked tongue"! :rolleyes:

FYI... The one and ONLY thing that put a "hold" on the Keystone Pipeline is the 12,000-13,000 protesting citizens that showed up on Obama's doorstep on a crisp November morning... google it! Oh, btw... you'll be starting to hear some more on that pipeline as it is NOT DEAD... just on "HOLD"!

I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents.Sir Winston Churchill

Not sure how to take that quote Gunsmith. Knowing the combatative reputation of Churchill I take "judged" to mean that he must be doing a good job, ethically and morally.

In which case I have to strongly disagree with you and your friend Churchill. By that token Colonel Quaddaffi and Hitler would be judged "good" politicians. They sure created some animosities among their opponents!!

Charlie is right. Harper is extremely dangerous because his mindset is inspired by his fundamentalist religious views. He is a member of the Alliance Church which has as a basic tenet of its belief that the earth is only 6000 years old. A man with those views will have nothing but contempt for science, evidence, reason or the environment and will behave as an ignorant "bully" because he "knows" he is right, and everyone else is wrong, particularly if they are educated and informed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really english I always new that Harper was a man to be watched and for sure not everybody is going to like what he does. Personally I do not like his bull through method but again I am only a tree in the forest.
Remember he loses small and comes back big.

Reelfast this is not "Saber rattling" it is finding new customers for what you obviously do not want, you are rattling sabers by being MISINFORMED about our OILSANDS not tarsands. TAR is a derivative from heavy oil. Your country has had their problematic leaders and we have ours.
I will make a deal with you get truthful and factul info about our oilsands and I will get truthfull and factual information about the coal your country is burning to produce electrical power.
Like I say we all have our crosses to bear and you seem quite venemous about our oilsands.

Like I say we all have our crosses to bear and you seem quite venemous about our oilsands.

i am only quoting the EU regarding the dirties source of energy in the world. don't like my quoting the EU, i suggest you take it up with them.

mountain top coal mining has done to west virginia what is about to happen to alberta, total and complete distruction of an environment. thats not sabber rattling, only the facts.

i understand you are an oilsands advocate, i am totally in opposition as i am to the rape of west virginia.

A man who uses lies as information or passes on lies becomes a liar.
I am not necessarily an advocate but having worked in the business for 30 yrs I know what is truth and what is falsehoods.

A man who uses lies as information or passes on lies becomes a liar.
I am not necessarily an advocate but having worked in the business for 30 yrs I know what is truth and what is falsehoods.

still don't get it huh????

the EU called oil sands the 'dirtiest source of energy in the world'. i understand you 'don't like it', but thats what they said. you consider the EU liars? thats totally your perception and your problem.

me, i am very well aware of what this country has done over the course of time, i read alot. i won't defend or shirk from these actions, but what i will do is work to prevent them from happenning again while i am still on the planet. nuff said, i won't be responding to your trolls any longer gunsmith.

still don't get it huh????

the EU called oil sands the 'dirtiest source of energy in the world'. i understand you 'don't like it', but thats what they said. you consider the EU liars? thats totally your perception and your problem.

me, i am very well aware of what this country has done over the course of time, i read alot. i won't defend or shirk from these actions, but what i will do is work to prevent them from happenning again while i am still on the planet. nuff said, i won't be responding to your trolls any longer gunsmith.

Whoa there guys... don't go down that road (as everyone knows, I will in a heartbeat)! I actually listen to "both" of you, and a lot others on this board! :)

You two have your different opinions and - both are valid; however, IMHO "neither" of you are "trolling"!
Gunsmith = troll? NO!
Reelfast = troll? NO!

Back