Something Wicked This Way Comes - ON THE LINE

Unfortunately with all the monetary issues all countries are having this will not garner the focus needed to stop the pipelines. Big money has the upper hand and hungry people will be bought with the "promise " of jobs. Once all is in place the jobs fade away.

What's new, Exxon soon weaseled out of paying for the Valdez spill and all other Corporations are geared to do the same. While all attention was on dirty oil, Shell slipped in the back door with their natural gas line and plant in Kitimat now the mold is there for Gateway.

Harpers new BFF

Tiananmen Square Massacre

Twenty-third Anniversary

Hon. Consiglio Di Nino: Honourable senators, yesterday, the twenty-third anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre, I was honoured to be present at the rededication of the Goddess of Democracy statue at York University in Toronto. This statute is a replica of the Goddess of Democracy erected in Tiananmen Square as a symbol of the struggle of tens of thousands of students who were peacefully demonstrating for democratic rights and freedoms in China.
On June 4, 1989, the Chinese government sent in the army to brutally put down this demonstration. During that night of infamy, not only did the People's Liberation Army — a misnomer for sure — tear down and trample the Goddess, they also massacred thousands of students.
This is what Minister Jason Kenney said, in part, in his message, which I read yesterday at the ceremony:
But just as the men responsible for the violence of that day grow older and weaker by the year, there are also signs that the Communist regime they supported is beginning to crack and show its age. Hope for a peaceful, democratic China is stronger than ever, and the dream of the students of Tiananmen Square may be closer than ever to becoming reality. I hope that the Goddess of Democracy will continue to inspire the "young heroes" of today, who refuse to accept that the proud Chinese people should continue to serve a bankrupt ideology, and who refuse to accept that the Chinese people do not deserve the fundamental rights that we take for granted here, in Canada.
In 1989, then Prime Minister Brian Mulroney hailed the students as "young heroes," saying to them:
Do not despair, victory must eventually be yours because liberty cannot be denied. . . . indiscriminate shooting has snuffed out precious human lives, but they can never snuff out the fundamental urge of human beings for freedom and democracy.
Honourable senators, the spirit of Tiananmen Square is alive and well in China, and I am convinced more than ever that the hopes and dreams of those "young heroes" will, indeed, be achieved.
Hon. Jim Munson: I thank Senator Di Nino for that statement. As he mentioned, yesterday was the twenty-third anniversary of the massacre in Tiananmen Square. As many of you know, I was there as a correspondent for CTV News. I witnessed the deaths of many young people. I will never forget that hot and muggy night, nor the heady days that led up to the horrible events on June 3 and 4 in 1989. History does not show that Beijing felt like a liberated city in those days. There were millions in the streets and they were not just students; there were doctors, teachers and everyday people from Beijing.
Today in China it is forbidden to speak about what really happened in and around the square, but I can speak and I will never stop speaking about an ugly footprint or tank marks on Chinese history. The images of dying students being placed on makeshift trishaws is etched in my memory. Sometimes in my dreams it does not seem real, but it was real. It was very real.
No one knows the number who were killed, but personally, honourable senators, I saw many die, dozens of bodies in city morgues. At that time the Red Cross believed a few thousand were killed. Recently, the former mayor of Beijing said in his memoirs that it is time for China to open the Tiananmen classified closed file.
We all know, and China knows, its leaders know, that time is long overdue. What is China afraid of? Is it afraid of the truth? I owe it to the families of those dead demonstrators. I owe it to those who are still living but who cannot speak. I owe it to those who survived. I owe it to those dissidents who in recent months have chosen to speak and are now in prison.

I have looked inside a Chinese prison. In fact, I spent a few days in a Chinese jail. It is not a very nice place. I owe it to a couple who, in fear, walked up to me on Beijing's main thoroughfare, Chang'an Avenue. As I raced into the square that evening, on June 3, as we did every evening, I was with my crew, and they said at that time — I will never forget their faces — "We want our voices heard. Please tell the world what is happening here."
It is not easy watching someone get crushed to death by a tank, and moments after, as the crowd moved back, the crowd looking at you. They all rose up as one and began to shout, "Long live democracy."

I will never forget, and, honourable senators, never should you.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/Sen/Chamber/411/Debates/085db_2012-06-05-e.htm#6

And so this is the third reason why we should not be shipping our precious oil to China.
I have not forgotten the pictures I saw on TV those days in June.
GLG

Last edited by a moderator:
"Keepers of the land"... I would think if your given virtually unlimited access fish/wildlife from an area, and you continuosly state how much you rely on that area for food and culture ...blah blah blah. The moment you accept money to allow an activity to occur that could very well destroy the ecosystem(s) apon which you so vocally rely on, you are done in that area = no more rights.

You have a choice: enjoy what you have been given and take the resources as you please, or sell that opportunity and be gone.

You have the money, now go to the damn grocery store!

"Keepers of the land"... I would think if your given virtually unlimited access fish/wildlife from an area, and you continuosly state how much you rely on that area for food and culture ...blah blah blah. The moment you accept money to allow an activity to occur that could very well destroy the ecosystem(s) apon which you so vocally rely on, you are done in that area = no more rights.

You have a choice: enjoy what you have been given and take the resources as you please, or sell that opportunity and be gone.

You have the money, now go to the damn grocery store!

I agree with you 100% but we aren't getting the whole story in some of these cases. The Gitxsan supposedly signed the deal but it was shadily done by a corrupt wingnut without authority while the bulk of the band is against it. Google it up, lots of info and contorversy just within this small band. There's arrest warrants for the chiefs that are protesting it.

The pressure is growing in BC to mount allied opposition to the Northern Gateway pipeline.

Here is a great resource for anyone who wants to get involved at the grass roots level.

http://enbridgepipedreams.org/

I am going to be doing a lot with this resource my self in the coming weeks.

Also received this from Adrian Dix this morning.

Enbridge Spill Findings: An Extraordinary Indictment

On Tuesday, the US Transportation Safety Board released a scathing report on a 2010 oil spill from an Enbridge pipeline near Marshall, Michigan.
For 17 hours, bitumen from the Alberta oil sands poured from the pipe, spilling at least 3.2 million litres of oil into the Kalamazoo River and nearby wetlands.
I wanted to share what the Board's chair said Tuedsay:
"On that July evening, at about 6 p.m. when many people in Marshall were sitting down to dinner, Enbridge's Line 6B ruptured and began spewing crude oil through a more than six-and-a-half-foot-long fracture."
"For more than 17 hours and over three shifts, the people controlling the pipeline did not respond to the alarms, pressure differentials or even follow one of their own safety procedures established following another catastrophic release in 1991 in Grand Rapids."
"The people of Marshall would finish their dinners, get ready for the week ahead and go to bed. As they slept, and even when they got up on Monday morning, instead of stopping the flow, Enbridge staff twice pumped more oil - about 81 percent of the total release - into the ruptured pipeline."
"It wasn't until late Monday morning - 17 hours and 19 minutes after the rupture - that a worker from a local gas utility found the spill and notified the Enbridge control center. Then, and only then, did the Enbridge staff begin their response and start closing remote valves upstream and downstream of the rupture."
"Learning about Enbridge's poor handling of the rupture, you can't help but think of the Keystone Kops."
Coming from a senior government official, it’s an extraordinary indictment.
And it highlights the enormous risks BC would take on if Enbridge is allowed to build the proposed Enbridge pipeline here in BC and oil tankers are allowed on our north and central coasts.
I urge you to do everything you can to send a message to Premier Clark and her Liberal government that they need to take a stand for B.C., say no to the Enbridge pipeline and no to oil tankers on our north and central coasts.
Together, we can build a strong opposition to the Enbridge pipeline, and help make sure a Kalamazoo-style spill doesn’t happen here.
-Adrian
ADRIAN DIX
LEADER, New Democrat Official Opposition

We in BC would be absolutely mad to let this pipleline be built across our waterways and wilderness environment and have bitumen tankers plying the Douglas Channel!!

Lets keep up the pressure on our local MLA's. The involvement of the BC Government in preventing this devastating scheme is vital.

Join us for this Victoria event...a special screening of On the Line

You have heard about it, now you have a chance to see this award-winning eco-adventure film at a special showing. Documentay film maker Frank Wolf and companion, Todd McGowan hike, bike, raft and kayak the entire route of the proposed Enbridge pipline as they seek the truth about the 5.5 billion dollar project.

When: July 25th, 7:30PM

Where: Eric Martin Pavilion (Jubilee Hospital), entrance is at the corner of Fort St (1900
Block) at Lee Ave click here for a map. Parking on Lee Avenue in the "one hour" zone is not ticketed for the Monday Movie Night events.

Admission by donation: Proceeds go to the film maker and the Sierra Club BC Foundation

To RSVP (limited seating) please contact Glenn Milbury at coastalcon@shaw.ca

We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,

Your Hosts Monday Movie & Sierra Club BC

Here is another great resource to use and access in the fight to defeat the pipeline. The .pdf document to assist building letter writing campaigns among friends and family is very good and contains some useful tips and a wealth of information.

http://forestethics.org/tar-sands-toolkit

"Something Wicked This Way Comes" and it is called the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline.

Back