Solo netting tips

ryanb

Well, I've decided to swallow my pride and ask you experts for some tips. I am suffering from a pretty dismal landing ratio on springs when i go out by myself. I get the fish to the boat and then the fun begins. I've tried every way i can think of to net a fish with one hand and invariably it's always a cluster #*&$. Once in a while i get the fish in but often I'm left disappointed wondering how i could have done that better.

Any tips???

I find Sockeye even harder as they start the head shake near the boat. We improved our success going from a heavy live release net with a big basket to a smaller and lighter net for socks (cheapest they had with a long handle). Way easier to maneuver with 1 hand. A shorter rod might help too. Once I had to tail grab a Spring because his buddy was already in the net, pure luck to get the second one.

I fish alone often and here's a few things that might help the landing percentage.

Try to avoid using long leaders (bait).
Consider tightening the drag up right before you think you'll be able to pull the fish towards the net.
Always keep the boat in gear as it gives you some control.
Some people will suggest using a shorter rod, like a 9ft instead of a more common 10 1/2.
Don't try and net a fish that isn't tired out...

I use a net with a good long handle and a large hoop. I am right-handed and hold the rod in my left hand. When the fish is alongside, I lift the rod so that my left hand is up near my left ear, to draw the fish as near as possible. Holding the net in my right hand, I tuck the end of the net handle in my right armpit, which provides good leverage to scoop the fish.

I only clear the one downrigger when I'm fighting a fish solo, so I keep trolling until the fish is alongside and ready to be netted. Then, I pop the boat in neutral, net the fish, and then put her back in gear. That way, I maintain control over the other side's gear and the fish.

I have the net mounted on a hook on the outboard side of the boat's cabin where it is easy to reach and will not get snagged on anything. I take it off the hook and put it beside me early in the fight, so that it is handy and I'm not reaching for it while the fish is in the danger zone at the side of the boat. Take a moment when you're laying it down to make sure it's not caught on anything.

When I mess things up (which I think is inevitable from time to time), it is usually because I haven't been careful enough to ensure the net isn't hooked on a cleat or something.

This is a tough one without actually physically showing it. Theres a number of things you can do to help your landing rate solo. Even with 10'6 rods and 8' leaders and a 20lber on its deff possible to net solo, just more difficult than someone else netting for you. I find tho once you get it down pat by yourself its actually sometimes easier than getting someone to net for you that may not have much experience. First thing that's very important is being able to steer the boat as your getting the fish right up to the boat, if your bringing the fish to the right side, start turning to the right. Then the fish is coming in more from the side then the back. If you turn at the right time and start leading the fish head first towards the side of the boat you can just grab the net and rest it on the side of the boat and then lead the fish right in the net without barely moving it. Honestly it has a lot to do with steering the boat the right way when your about to net. Also if your still moving forward, start your turn to whatever side your bringing the fish to, then lead the fish around so its head is now facing towards the back of the boat, then stick the net in the water and let the current move the fish right into the bag. Very hard to net a fish solo if there head is facing the front cause when you put the net in the water the current moves the net inside out and touches the fish and then there going to flip out. Hope that all makes sense, have some other tricks that I came up with but this should hopefully help first.

I find it harder to net a fish solo when the boat is moving.
best way I've found is to position the boat broadside to the fish and put it in neutral.
when the fish is tired, wind up almost to the flasher and lead the fish head first into the bag.

I gaff bigger springs when fishing solo......never lost one after it has some steel poked through :)

best tip for netting solo

LONG handle on the net 6' + even better if a bit longer

number one mistake: don't scoop a net just bring the fish to it
keep the handle as low as you can almost parallel to the water...

number two big mistake: do not tighten the drag, if fish go's for a run its going to pop the line or rip out the hook.

try fish single hooks as stingers can cause net hook fouls, again fish can loose hook.

also play the fish out, away from the boat first then bring him in if his heads up and sliding through the water he might be ready

if he's still swimming you still got fun on your hands

also bet your right handed?

and i'll stir the pot, should be winding in with your left and the rod should be in your strong arm

not the other way, but that opens a can of worms on here....lol

oh proof of the pudding December 26lb winter spring howe sound fishing solo

Attachments

• photos 031.jpg
    photos 031.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 478
wow, THAT is a winter!! good job wt!!

I fish from an open boat, yours may be different.

Long net handle
Low idle in forward gear
Downrigger ball up
Play fish out until head above water
Normal drag
Slowly raise rod

Hold line against cork, just before rod blank with right index finger, but be prepared to remove finger from line or lower rod if fish takes another run
Net over transom, slide it out to about a foot ahead of fishes head
Net deep in water, insert under fish, as far back as posslble, use gunnel as fulcrum raise net
If net touches fishat tail, it will swim ahead into net
Drop rod, or place in nearby holder
Use both hands to move net closer to boat before lifting net with handle verticle.
Bring tyee over stern and lay on deck
Fish often self releases at this point.
Look around to see how many other boats have been watching you
Wave at them gleefully.

I fish from an open boat, yours may be different.

Long net handle
Low idle in forward gear
Downrigger ball up
Play fish out until head above water
Normal drag
Slowly raise rod

Hold line against cork, just before rod blank with right index finger, but be prepared to remove finger from line or lower rod if fish takes another run
Net over transom, slide it out to about a foot ahead of fishes head
Net deep in water, insert under fish, as far back as posslble, use gunnel as fulcrum raise net
If net touches fishat tail, it will swim ahead into net
Drop rod, or place in nearby holder
Use both hands to move net closer to boat before lifting net with handle verticle.
Bring tyee over stern and lay on deck
Fish often self releases at this point.
Look around to see how many other boats have been watching you
Wave at them gleefully.

When i have control of the fishes head it's time ..Head first slam dunk in the hoop ,when it freaks out perfect it'll be in the back of the net lol , I drop my rod tip down right away
because its gonna pull its head out from a tight line lol, yup been there done that .. :) loose lines !! ,practicing to full on gaff style .. net takes up so much room in my tin .

Oh and have fun playing the fish out don't be too anxious in getting it in too quick and not loosing it... that' when the hook POP'S :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I fish alone all the time... In Sooke where I primarily fish it has heavy currents sometimes so when its like that I may choose to fish just one rod. More important is to hookup and then get out of the pack where you have more room. I always will tend to use the current as an advantage to keep pressure on fish...

If your having problems your trying to net your fish to soon... When you are by yourself you dont have luxury to make a couple of net mistakes and have an extra person helping.. Do not unless you can control a fish or its smaller leave your other down rigger down. I have had many fish basically b-line for boat and wrap on second down rigger. Its the best way to lose a good fish. Braided line rarely will bust you off but steel cable forget it one run its gone.

I would say thats the only thing that takes getting used to is running two cables... I see some that run three..I still can't get why you would run three cables alone...

I find it harder to net a fish solo when the boat is moving.
best way I've found is to position the boat broadside to the fish and put it in neutral.
when the fish is tired, wind up almost to the flasher and lead the fish head first into the bag.

That's good advice also... I think Craven fishes solo a lot as well..

My mentor taught me to get the balls up and the other line in. Then cut the motor and enjoy the "ambience" - yup, that's what he calls it - just the sound of your reel and the fish - "ambience". Definitely nice if you have 2 guys in the boat.
However, I often fish alone, plus I am strong arming manual DRs. I have lost a few fish trying to get my one ball up and play the fish at the same time. So, instead, I keep the speed up, leave both balls down, and start a very gradual turn to the side the fish is on - that seems to keep the fish to the side of the boat and I try to tire him out when he is near the surface but still far from the boat (away from ball and cable) - when I bring him close to the boat I do it quickly and try to net on first approach.
Also, how about the times when the bloody seals are after my fish? I forget all about technique- reel like a demon until the flasher hits my rod tip, hoist that sucker right out of the water and into the boat - no net- that's it that's all. I swear that seal is cursing me as he gives me the hairy eyeball 10 feet off my stern - haha.

Scotty has a Net Minder, it is supposed to keep the bag from turning inside out and touching the fish.
This may help when solo fishing or a rookie on the net.
I just bought one for my new net for when I fish solo as the new net has a larger bag and a longer handle. Just need to go fishing to find out if it is going to help.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/downrigger-accessories/netminder.htm

I too fish alone most times. I also use the manual downriggers. I also use 9 ft rods with a 4-5 foot leader. When I get a fish on, I slow my troll down and try to keep the fish on the same side it was hooked, turning the boat as needed or as safe as possible. When the fish gets close enough to be netted, I put the boat in neutral and use the scoop method to net the fish. This way you are not trying to fight a fish and moving water too. I aways try to get it in the net head first but have done a few tail first. I always keep the drag in spot that if it runs then you do have a better chance of regaining control before it breaks off. Oh yeah, I am right handed as well.

I have a scotty net minder, works well - basically does what a net guy would do if they were using both hands and holds the net out of the water. It is also nice when fishing with someone new to netting, one less thing to worry about.

Back