sole

weasonedog

Good morning
Have any of you fisher people ever targeted sole, I am here in Ladysmith and was thinking about maybe trying for this fish as they are very tasteful. Would you look for structure like halibut or flat bottom, bait, jigging.Any info would be great.

Thank-you
Tony

Used to target them a couple years ago in Pedder Bay, light tackle: 20lb power pro, small buzz bomb 70-90ft flat bottom. Very light jigging action, like a couple inches off the bottom. Picked up an 18lbr spring while doing that as well, no net in the boat...lots of fun :)

Kids enjoyed a lot.

The rocks on the south end of Tent Island seems to be a good place to find them. We usually get enough for a meal in no time using regular cod jigs.

Small Powerbait grub bounced along flat 40' (summer) to 80 ft (winter) bottom works VERY well off Comox. Great tasting little fish that are worth the extra effort to fillet

If you set your crab traps off Bare Point In Chemainus you can catch lots in the same area while you let your traps soak. Any small baited jig or small Deadly Dick lure works great. I had a few go into my traps when crabbing and started fishing for them with the kids after that. I know most of the docks in Ladysmith Harbour have them as well. I use to let the kids catch them off the back of the boat in its slip in Ivy Green Marina. Most docks don't like people fishing from them with all the boats around so that worked best for us. Have fun!

Back