sockeye fishing in port alberni

hey ironnoggin,,i take it that you are a commie,,,i do not like netting of any fish anywhere,,only my opinion,,give the poor fish a chance

Yes, in fact I am a "commie" as you so eloquently put it. However I am a Troller, and do not work with bags of any type (gillnets nor seines). And, Area G Troll (WCVI Fleet) has NOT had access to sockeye for a great many years now, likely never will again. So, when they come, I employ a rod 'n reel.

All he did say, was that the poaching is being monitored, and that you have a potty mouth!

Kerrrrect!! :)

Maybe....if you saw what you say you saw, you maybe should have reported it.

And again Bang On! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

Hey Nog, did you used to fish the socks on the trollers?

How well did they fair in that fishery, were they sucessfull and efficient, could they make money at it?

Do you know why they (trollers) no longer have acccess to the Sockey fishery?

I have always looked at the Sockey fishery and felt that Trolling would be a way more proactive method of harvesting when fishing (especially out in the sound) in and amongst other salmon species (bycatch), it would have a lower impact upon the bycatch (that have to be released because of no retention), no??? or yes???

I find that the use of gill nets when there is a definate probability of hitting bycatch, is absolutely assanine, because it is going to kill the bycatch. Seiners are a bit of a different story, it is less damaging if done right, if not then it can do in a lot of the bycatch also. That being said, what sort of mortality do they typically get on the trollers with the bycatch?

I know that we are getting off the thread topic here, sorry, but the socks are SLOWWWWW to done.

Cheers, FH

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Nog, did you used to fish the socks on the trawlers?

How well did they fair in that fishery, were they sucessfull and efficient, could they make money at it?

Do you know why they (trawlers) no longer have acccess to the Sockey fishery?

I have always looked at the Sockey fishery and felt that Trawling would be a way more proactive method of harvesting when fishing (especially out in the sound) in and amongst other salmon species (bycatch), it would have a lower impact upon the bycatch (that have to be release because of no retention), no??? or yes???

I find that the use of gill nets when there is a definate probability of hitting bycatch, is absolutely assanine, because it is going to kill the bycatch. Seiners are a bit of a different story, it is less damaging if done right, if not then it can do in a lot of the bycatch also. That being said, what sort of mortality do they typically get on the trawlers with the bycatch?

I know that we are getting off the thread topic here, sorry, but the socks are SLOWWWWW to done.

Cheers, FH

A troller and trawler are 2 completely different things. and Trawling IMO is the worst of all when it comes to by catch.

Maybe you already know that, it just wasnt obvious in your post lol

A troller and trawler are 2 completely different things. and Trawling IMO is the worst of all when it comes to by catch.

Maybe you already know that, it just wasnt obvious in your post lol

Holy Fawwwwk, what an epic FU on spelling:eek:, stay in school kids:p!!!

Yeah, there is no way on earth that I meant "TRAWLER" the complete and utter destroyers of the ocean. I thought that was the correct spelling for a commercial fishing boat that trolls lines and hooks - OOOOOPPPPPPSSSS!!!!

That last question with the word Trawler inserted is a doozy eh, (the bycatch mortality on a TRAWLER-Dragger = everything dead for years!!!)

Apparently I need another beer - and a dictionary:eek: (do they still make those? or do I need and APP?) - LOL!

NB: I have edited my screw up to show troller instead of trawler in previous post. Thanks Lorne.

FH

The reason that trollers dont have access to sockeye is because of the way the allocation policy works within the commercial gear types. Rec/commercial allocation is one thing, but within the 95% allocation that the commies get on chum/pink/sockeye (which many of you forget, and they are totally justified in having the fisheries they do), they have their own allocation rules.

Everything is worked out in sockeye equivalents, which in a nutshell means that each gear group gets a certain amount of access to value (sockeye as the unit). Area G troll had excellent access to a valuable fishery (WCVI chinook) when they were figuring it out, and because of the fishery they had and the value it held it was agreed to at the time that they would forgo access to sockeye to maintain their access to the chinook troll fishery. Obviously nuances, details around that, but that's the gist of it.

Hey Nog, did you used to fish the socks on the trollers?

Yes. We used to fish both the Inlet on Alberni stocks, as well as the West Coast for Fraser fish.

They did well, especially so when the Fraser fish came down the outside of the Island. It was one of the "backbone" fisheries for the fleet, many a season was carried by the sockeye openings for much of the fleet.

Do you know why they (trollers) no longer have acccess to the Sockey fishery?

Politics. Back when the notion of "sockeye equivalents" and percentage splitting was initially being considered, the now defunct Pacific Troll Association (PTA - largely comprised of Gulf Trollers) bought in to the process. Many of Area G were in opposition, but it was carried regardless. That same many today shake their heads over what they consider to having been "Sold Out".

The chinook fishery at the time was lucrative as Gamechanger noted above, and managed to carry most crews along for years following. Area G did not however sign off on forgoing sockeye completely. That occurred through rolling access reductions over a period of years until it got to where we are today - in effect complete loss of that access. In "years of abundance" Area G is still on the books as having access. Given what happened with the Fraser's mighty blip when that last incredible run showed - a bonanza for all BUT Area G kept OFF them - methinks it is entirely unlikely that Area G will ever see another opening on sockeye again.

Today, the chinook fishery is almost done. Extremely limited openings with low harvest numbers. Without access to other stocks, unfortunately Area G is following suit, and is almost finished itself. Deliberate action on the part of "management" to drive Area G Members into a lowball "Buy-Back" program has crippled the fleet and forced many in desperation to walk away. It has indeed become the "Sunset Industry" many feared it was degenerating to.

I have always looked at the Sockey fishery and felt that Trolling would be a way more proactive method of harvesting when fishing (especially out in the sound) in and amongst other salmon species (bycatch), it would have a lower impact upon the bycatch (that have to be released because of no retention), no??? or yes???

Absolutely.

I find that the use of gill nets when there is a definate probability of hitting bycatch, is absolutely assanine, because it is going to kill the bycatch. Seiners are a bit of a different story, it is less damaging if done right, if not then it can do in a lot of the bycatch also. That being said, what sort of mortality do they typically get on the trollers with the bycatch?

Any bag fishery will have a higher bycatch mortality rate than trolling - simply the nature of the beast. Bycatch studies conducted with Area G specifically (I was directly involved with a couple of these) indicated a hooking mortality range running from ~ 3 to 5 %. Trolling has been well proven to be THE most selective method of any of the gear types.

Perhaps not. The heat wave of late has slowed the frantic pace of freshwater migration off by quite a bit. There are some indications that the sockeye are now starting to school and hold in the Inlet as supported by decent numbers of recreational rigs limiting out in some of the traditional holding areas of late. IF the numbers hold to the projections, we can likely look forward to several weeks of decent to good fishing on them as the heat wave continues.

Nog

Hey Nog, I've seen you post the "Somass Sockeye Bulletins" in the past. Where do you get those? If I understand it correctly, the Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee puts these out, after meeting weekly on Thursdays during the run... Is this correct?

I've tried to find a website with no luck.

Edit: Flipping back I see The Fog Ducker has been posting them...latest in post #161 think it was...anyone chime in :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Nog, I've seen you post the "Somass Sockeye Bulletins" in the past. Where do you get those? If I understand it correctly, the Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee puts these out, after meeting weekly on Thursdays during the run... Is this correct

The Bulletins are circulated each week following the Harvest Committee Meetings as you perceived. They are not posted to a website I am aware of, rather circulated via Email to Members of the local SFAC and a few others. Shoot me a pm if you want to be added to the circulation list (PLEASE - NOT everyone who reads this! The List is already lengthy and swamping those who circulate the material with hundreds of requests would be counter-productive) and I can pass along the right contacts to request such.

In the meantime I will continue to post the Bulletins as they are issued, and as I am able with my rather wonky schedule this season...

Cheers,
Nog

hey nog,,my appologies,,i thouhgt that you may be a netter,,i don't have any problem what soever with the trauler type of fishing,,have yourself a great year,,

Take issue with the policy makers and fleet owners not the netters. You know what I'm saying just because somebody works on a seiner or gill netter to support their family does not make them a bad person. Just like the people working on a salmon farms are not bad people. It's the people up above the workers who are the problem. The rest are just like you and me trying to make a living you can disagree with the job they do but don't take that out on the person doing the work unless your prepared to offer them alternate meaningful well paying employment.

hey nog,,my appologies,,i thouhgt that you may be a netter,,i don't have any problem what soever with the trauler type of fishing,,have yourself a great year,,

Trawler or Troller? Hahaha I think you mean troller. I don't think Nog was/is a trawler..

Hey Nog, many thanks for the answers, I appreciate it!

This hot weather is definately a great sign for the Sockeye fishery, and could open up realistic opportunities to a bunch of sporties and the commerical net fleet, to get onto some of these little guys. This year has been a great year (again) for the fish, but not the best for humans. The bright side is that the return runs from last year and this year should have a great chance at being stellar runs.

And thanks again for the info on the Sockeye Trolling history.

Cheers, FH

Out this morning at 0600, ran up to Namint, very few boats out and no nets out. Went back to cous creek and lines in the water by 0700, fished until 1100, 4 socs in the boat and one lost. Loads of mackeral, hard to keep them off.

Gearjammer

thanx for the report Gearjammer...Whats with all the mackeral this year? I thought we had a nanino season instead of an alnino(warm) winter??????

Thinking about making the trip over to give it one more try before my annual trip to the east coast. Is it worth it? Anyone been doing ok the last week or so? If so, is any part of the inlet better than others? ...thinking of trying Wed morning.

fishin' for soxs in the inlet is ok. mostly bein' caught inside Cous Creek Bay and Lone Tree Point. lots of mackerals around as I was there yesterday. Soxs move lots lately due to rain.

Back