sockeye fishing in port alberni

Thx for the reply. How long did you fish and how many did you get yesterday? I'm thinking I might go if the rain stays away between now and Wed.

Hey fishers.
I am thinking about heading to PA this week, any updates on sox?
Thanks in advance.

I was there late at mid morning of Saturday for couple hours. It was slow for me. Some people caught soxs, others didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sockeye fishing definitely picked up over the weekend. I had reports of a few limits in the Cous Creek area on Friday, fished there Saturday with a bit of success ourselves although quite a few fish were caught. Sunday it let loose with lots of limits even though the water and wind made it hard to manage the boats. Regular gear worked well along with the tandem black and red hooks. Depth for us was 55 and 65. Nice fish, hopefully they last for a while. From the commercial notices looks like they may hold off on the seiners, but the gill netters have openings of 10 hours every day this week, Hocking to Polly Point. See the run size has been downgraded to 850000. Should still be enough for everyone.

Cheers from the Crew of Stress Medicine

Hey everyone.
The inlet was quiet this morning, out of 50+ boats off Cous there was an occasional net out.
If I had the patience my crew could probably have caught a few sox but my patience is reserved for springs.
LOTS of mackerel around, they were actually beaching themselves at the ramp!
Smiley.

Out today in Alberni Inlet from 6a.m. to 12 noon.

Fished Dunsmuir,Underwood, Lone Tree area, Cous bay, on up to Coulson's and Polly's point.

About 60 boats out there, mainly centered around Cous bay early on.

Trolled 35 ft. to later 90ft. down. Used a lot of "goto's".

Nada,Zip,Zilch,No Way,Nothing,Zero, Write-off.....for Sox. Not a sniff.

Never saw another boat get one or a net come out.

Mackerel were a different story.....lots of those for everybody and the water was littered with Mac "throwbacks".

Got bored with trolling for Sox around 10 a.m. and tried wild card for early springs.....no hits there either.

Even the mackerel stopped biting around 10 a.m.

SOMASS SOCKEYE BULLETIN # 7 – 2012 Date: July 26, 2012

Somass Sockeye Stock Assessment Update

Pre-season forecast:

Somass (Great Central and Sproat) 700,000 (range: 500,000 to 1,000,000);
Henderson Lake sockeye outlook ~ 25,000

Somass Escapement to July 25: ~ 316,500 (140,700 Great Central, 175,900 Sproat Lake)
Henderson Escapement to July 17: ~ 5200

Test Fishery:

July 23-24: Estimate 10 K inside 10-mile Point; 3 K outside Note: Test boat numbers are for only two days of testing and do not account for migration into the areas over the remaining five days.
Test fishery vessel finished.

Expected Somass Stock Composition: 47% Great Central, 53% Sproat Sockeye
Expected Somass Age Composition: 36%, 51%, and 13% for age 42, 52, 53 / 63 adults, respectively.
To date the overall age composition is 30% (42), 56% (52), 6% (53), 3% (63).

Run Reforecast: Run size downgraded to 800,000

Catch Estimate: ~ 382,000 adults
Port Alberni Tsu-ma-uss Economic Opportunity fishery – 149,700
Maanulth First Nations Domestic harvest – 17,600
Commercial Gillnet – 117,400
Commercial Seine – ~ 78,100
Recreational – ~ 17,000

Henderson sockeye catch in ALL sectors is estimated at 5600

NEXT WEEK'S FISHING PLANS:

First Nations
Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath, Tseshaht)-The First Nations will fish on behalf of the Special Use allocation with the proceeds going into a fund for enhancement as directed by the Harvest Committee.
Gill-nets – Tuesday to Thursday Daily 10 am to 8 pm.
Drag Seine - Papermill Dam Tuesday to Thursday Daily 5 am to 5 pm.
Maanulth - The harvest plan includes contracting of designated Area D Gill-netters to harvest sockeye. These vessels will be displaying Maanulth identification flags.

Commercial

Area D Gillnet - The fishery will open Monday July 30th 2 pm to Tuesday July 31st 5 am, and from Tuesday July 31st 2pm to Wednesday August 1st 5 am, from Hocking Point to Polly Point.
Area B Seine – No fishery planned for next week.

Recreational

Fishing continues at 4 per day in Alberni Inlet. The tidal portion of the Somass River is 2 per day with no night fishing from 10 pm to 5 am. The tidal closure at Paper Mill Dam scheduled for July 24th will be delayed to August 1st.

For more information please contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440
..................................................................................................................

Kinda wonder just where the "~ 17,000" were caught?? :eek:

Cheers,
Nog

Hey, Mat.

I'm with you, what kind of math projects that 17000 recs were taken?
Hard to believe....to say the least!

Smiley.

I too am wondering where the 17000 came from.Fished Cous, China Creek and Nahmint from daybreak till noon on three three different days and only got six in the boat and two lost for a total of 8. DFO probably got and accurate count from the float plane that flew over each day.

Out of 17000, I doubt that PMD contributed in the high single digits of percent taken.

I'd agree with you most recent years, but the inlet sucks this year. I bet more were caught there than on boats for a change.

I wonder if there's just some sort of canned formula that they use.

Somass River Escapement Bulletin
Observations to July 29, 2012

IN-SEASON OBSERVATIONS:

Through July 29, total sockeye escapement to Great Central Lake is estimated to be about 142,550 adults, and total sockeye escapement to Sproat Lake is estimated to be about 184,850 adults (total escapement approximately 327,400 adults). Daily escapement counts over the previous week ranged between about 250 and 600 adults through the Great Central dam, and between about 550 and 2,150 adults through the Sproat fishway.
River temperatures are relatively high (20oC) at the Sproat River fishway, and are moderate (18oC) at the Great Central dam. Flow throughout the Somass system remains high for this time of year, and migration does not appear impeded.
Based on current catch, escapement, and abundance estimates in the Alberni Inlet and Somass River, the forecast was reduced to 800,000 adult sockeye on July 26. The escapement target for this run size is 366,667, giving an expected surplus of 433,333 sockeye (i.e., about 54%) available for catch.

2012 PRE-SEASON EXPECTATIONS:

Sockeye: For 2012, the forecast return of Somass sockeye was 700,000 (range 500,000 to 1,000,000). Note that the forecast has been updated on July 5, July 19, and July 26 based on in-season observations. Expected stock composition is about 47% Great Central and 53%
Sproat sockeye. Expected age composition is about 36%, 51%, and 13% for age 42, 52, 53 / 63 adults, respectively.

Chinook: Approximately 34,000 Somass chinook are forecast to return to Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet in 2012. The predicted adult age composition is 5%, 33% and 62% of 3, 4 and 5-year olds, respectively. Given the age composition, about 24,000 spawners are required to meet the 57.2M egg target for the system. Therefore, about 10,000 Somass chinook are available for harvest in the ‘terminal fishery’ from Alberni Inlet seaward to Barkley Sound.

Chum: Approximately 530,000 chum are forecast to return to South West Vancouver Island in 2012 (62,000 to Area 23). While this forecast is below long-term averages, some modest harvest opportunities may be expected.

Coho: For 2012, the total expected return to Somass system is about 25,000 to 35,000 coho. The forecast survival rate for the 2009 brood year (2011 sea entry) year is somewhat below the long-term average for West coast Vancouver Island coho.

PROGRAM OVERVIEW:

Fish counting operations on the Somass system are run by the Hupacasath First Nation in collaboration with DFO.
Automatic fish counters (resistivity type) are installed at the Sproat fishway and the Great Central dam mid-May to estimate Somass sockeye escapement. Twice-weekly visual calibrations validate counter data, as well as determine species and age (e.g., jacks vs adult)
composition of escapement. A portion of the sockeye escapement is biologically sampled at the counters to determine age at return, sex ratio and fecundity. For Henderson sockeye, escapement is estimated through a series of swim surveys of the main spawning habitat (e.g.,
Clemens Creek and nearby beach habitat) in September and October.

Counters are removed from the Great Central dam in early September when chinook begin to migrate upstream. After this, all salmon passing through the Stamp Falls fishway are counted by trained and experienced observers. Observers identify fish to species, estimate the portion of jacks by relative size, and estimate the portion of marked (e.g., adipose fin clipped) fish.
Migration through the fishway is videotaped for later verification of daytime real-time counts and species identification, and for night-time enumeration. Real-time observations are typically greater than 95% accurate for counts, species identification, and mark rate.
A digital video monitoring system is currently being installed at the Stamp Falls fishway in order to replace aging technology. Features of the new system will allow improved assessment of escapement. The system is designed to automatically count visual targets; digital video will allow for a more rapid data review process, and the system and data can be monitored remotely. Eventually, this system will replace the automatic fish counter at the Great Central dam and a similar system will be installed at the Sproat fishway.

Somass River Escapement Bulletin
Observations to July 29, 2012

IN-SEASON OBSERVATIONS:

Through July 29, total sockeye escapement to Great Central Lake is estimated to be about 142,550 adults, and total sockeye escapement to Sproat Lake is estimated to be about 184,850 adults (total escapement approximately 327,400 adults). Daily escapement counts over the previous week ranged between about 250 and 600 adults through the Great Central dam, and between about 550 and 2,150 adults through the Sproat fishway.
River temperatures are relatively high (20oC) at the Sproat River fishway, and are moderate (18oC) at the Great Central dam. Flow throughout the Somass system remains high for this time of year, and migration does not appear impeded.
Based on current catch, escapement, and abundance estimates in the Alberni Inlet and Somass River, the forecast was reduced to 800,000 adult sockeye on July 26. The escapement target for this run size is 366,667, giving an expected surplus of 433,333 sockeye (i.e., about 54%) available for catch.

Thanks for that Matt

Still almost 40 000 fish short of the escapement target. This happens year after year in Port Alberni, and nothing changes.
The DFO people that manage this fishery NEED to start answering to the public.

Always short of required escapement to keep healthy stocks.

Why can't they just let the fish run threw till they get there numbers and then open it up to fishing? Or am I just being a dumb butt thinking that this would be to easy? As Islandgirl says DFO will keep f$cking up till there is no sockeye left.

Special Use fishery planned...I Just got this update
When the required escapement is still almost 40 000 fish short

This should go to the media

"The Tsu-mass fisheries is conducting a beach seine 3 days this week, Tuesday, Wednesday and including tomorrow morning, Thursday, from 8 a.m. until noon.

The purpose of these fisheries are to catch Sockeye to be sold to commercial buyers and the funds to go into a “Special Use” account managed by West Coast Aquatic for local enhancement projects. Such projects will be determined and directed by the Area 23 Harvest committee members which include gillnet and seine reps, first nations, fish and game reps and recreational fishers (Paul Dore and myself).

It would be great to have a few more rec fishers show up to help out. It’s wet, it’s fun and it is educational.

If anyone is interested in having some fun while doing some good work. Please drop in to the West side Tseshaht park area a quarter mile up Hector Road at the bottom of Watty’s Hill, just past the McCoy Lake Road turnoff of Highway 4 West.

If you bring something to contribute, there will be a potluck lunch at noon, at the end of fishing.

They have had reasonable success the last two mornings."

I am speechless and beyond words at this point : (

I am speechless and beyond words at this point...

It's all Good Gal! :)

If all follows as it usually does (and there is NO indication it will be otherwise this season) there will most likely be In Excess of 50K sockeye run through the counters between now and when they are pulled. Right now there is a large body of sockeye in Imperial Eagle Channel, and the late run fish are yet to even arrive. And there is extremely little effort from any quarter to fish them at this point. In most likelihood, we will actually exceed the "optimum escapement numbers" this season.

The fishery in question was designed explicitly to bolster (at times sadly lacking) local fisheries enhancement projects. It was completely endorsed and signed off by the entire Harvest Committee here which is comprised of FN's, Commercial and Recreational Members in conjunction with DFO. In fact, this is a Win-Win for the fish, and a good (at times FAR too Rare!) example of cooperation amongst these varying sectors. And in addition provided a great way to have a LOT of FUN, while members from each of those Sectors cooperated with Smiles to make it so. :)

Nothing at all nefarious here folks...

Cheers,
Nog

Hey Nog
I have not problem boosting a sadly at times lacking local fisheries enhancement projects...
However..
why not have done it a month ago???

Lets be honest ..we all know DFO numbers... first 900 000 fish estimated for the SS system
Then downgraded to 800 000
They really have no idea...

Last year they never did get their chinook escapement for the SS system..
Commie fished the **** out of them after the derby, and short yet again on escapement.

Fishing those sockeye at this late date saying there is 100 000 more on the way is like spending money that you dont have in the bank. Why not get the required escapement first?

I hope history does not repeat itself and I hope I am wrong.

Back