So, I decided to rip out my carpet

Fisher_dude

Crew Member
I took all the carpet out of my 18ft Malibu today as I was sick of standing on ****** old carpet. I took it all out with no problems but ran into something that I haven't dealt with before. Instead of the whole floor being glassed, there is a strip along each side that is just foam with a grey layer of sealant I'm guessing ontop of it. It's snuck down in a few places due to people standing on it I guess. How would you go about fixing this? I want to roll on a non- skid floor covering when I'm done with the cleanup. Would you just glass over it and sand till smooth?

950A0A68-741D-448C-970D-D57035AFF2BD_zpsxcpq8xrp.jpg

Glass over it make it nice THEN get a gel coat or add dye to fiberglass and wait till its setting off and back brush it for a textured finish tough non skid...

Or walnut shells

This may be the opportunity to re foam the hull for floatation foam. Dollars to donuts your foam is getting water logged. You won't believe how water will be absorbed by so called closed cell foam over the years. The water penetration may only be an inch into the foam, but over the area, it adds easily a few hundred pounds.

Before you change your flooring, you may as well do a good examination, and if you are water logged, take the step to remove the old stuff.

Sad part is carpet holds water incredibly well, and gravity and time does the rest. Start fresh and new and you can take satisfaction to know you did not re seal in a problem.

Drewski

After I scraped all the old carpet glue off and vacuumed up everything, I went poking and prodding around in the foam trying to find wet spots or anythign that seemed out of the ordinary. I was pretty surprised when I didn't find anything. At the most, in 2 areas, the foam has been compressed about a 1/2" and the grey sealant is still holding pretty strong so im just going to sand everything down to the foam and lay down a nice thick layer of resin compound.

So, I ended up dropping a screwdriver on the foam and heard a loud thud, ended up scraping up all the foam. They used it as a filler instead of glassing it properly so now Ive gotta wait for the temps to go up so I can glass it all in and smooth out before i put my nonskid floor on.

Back