Size of Ball?

BigBadBrad

Curious what everyone’s preference is when fishing in less than 100ft of water.....Was thinking about running straight 18s now. Anyone run 18s or 20 inshore? Pros/Cons?

What riggers are you rocking? I don’t see much of a need for more than 15’s at 100 or less.
i run 15’s exclusively on my 1106’s and I would be on 18’s on 2106.

I used to swap between 15 & 18, now I just run 18’s. Works fine for me and nice to have the extra weight when the current is humming. Been running them in my 1106 for a few seasons not recommended I know but no issues yet

I'm using 15's on my 2106's and could see 18's as a good option. On occasion the 15's could use a bit more weight but I also use that as an opportunity to slow the eff down. I think either would work well.

IMO the lighter the ball the less chance of a SNAFU. Absolute ball weights are hard to recommend as diameter of cable, flasher/no flasher all affect blow-back.

IMO the lighter the ball the less chance of a SNAFU. Absolute ball weights are hard to recommend as diameter of cable, flasher/no flasher all affect blow-back.
Another often overlooked factor is how smooth the cannon ball is. If the surface isn't smooth it increases turbulence which increases drag.

An engineer I fished with calculated this once and it was one of the largest sources of drag in the whole downrigger assembly.

Another often overlooked factor is how smooth the cannon ball is. If the surface isn't smooth it increases turbulence which increases drag.

An engineer I fished with calculated this once and it was one of the largest sources of drag in the whole downrigger assembly.
I thought the opposite was true. Like with a golf ball.

Depends on the currents in your area. 10# C/Bs in less than 100' s/b fine.
What are you using for a C/B leader?

Sort of. It has more to do with surface area in fluid dynamics, and the actual shape of how it goes from turbulent to laminar flow. Here is some physics that explains it.

Never fish with engineers. They F up your gears and never see the big picture.

That’s what my barber friend told me once..... I never saw him on my boat again!

Thinking of trying a set of the Shark Cannon balls out. All that I’ve read say they track well and a lot less blow back than all others in compared weight. Pricey buggers if you lose one but I’m going to give a set of 12# a go.

Thinking of trying a set of the Shark Cannon balls out. All that I’ve read say they track well and a lot less blow back than all others in compared weight. Pricey buggers if you lose one but I’m going to give a set of 12# a go.
My buddy bought a pair of 15# but he didn’t think they was that much difference in the currents that we have around Vancouver. I guess it depends on where you fish and how deep you typically go for your average fishing. They are pricey for sure.

A buddy of mine fishes barkley all summer for the last 40+ years and has been a summer resident for the past 20 or so and will not touch any ball larger than 12. I prefer 15 and have been fishing more and more with the 12s. Its a faster retrieve an it works for me so its really a preference thing. But if you like fishing current rips well maybe you need a engine block tied to your wire lol. Oh and if your going to fish the south side of the mouth of the south arm , no bloody weight is going to help you there, trust me it ain't gonna happen lol

A buddy of mine fishes barkley all summer for the last 40+ years and has been a summer resident for the past 20 or so and will not touch any ball larger than 12. I prefer 15 and have been fishing more and more with the 12s. Its a faster retrieve an it works for me so its really a preference thing. But if you like fishing current rips well maybe you need a engine block tied to your wire lol. Oh and if your going to fish the south side of the mouth of the south arm , no bloody weight is going to help you there, trust me it ain't gonna happen lol
How deep do you usually fish Sir-visor? I have a pair of finned 12s that I’ve been carrying in my boat as backups. Haven’t been happy with them when fishing deeper than 120’ in the current. For our summer terminal fishery, they just do Ok though.

15lbs fins are really all you need at that shallow depth. Pretty much everywhere.

Most guys using 18 and 20's are fishing 200+. Not into that fishing myself.

Never fish with engineers. They F up your gears and never see the big picture.

That’s what my barber friend told me once..... I never saw him on my boat again!

Not all of them. I worked with many teams with great engineers in mechanical, software and electrical. There is bad apples in any field. Most places I worked the guys were all hands on. There is a lot of reasons things are made it certain way.

Back