shipping containers

fish brain

Crew Member
Im looking for some advice on shipping containers.
I am looking for two about 20 feet long. I can get two 20 footers for about $5400 or one 40 footer for $3100.
my question is, how much work is it to cut a 40 footer in half and frame in the ends? Can you cut it apart in an hour or so, or is it a big job?

Three sides are simple the tough part is the floor because it's reinforced for forklift. But for 2300 difference I think it would be worth it

They come apart pretty easily. Jigsaw for the tin sides and sawsall works for the Frame. No burnt paint and clean edges to work with.

Never cut a seacan in half but as a metal worker I'd use a zipcut disc on a 4" grinder. Thin clean cuts that take little time and very little effort. Might take a few discs but they're cheap. Easy to wander off the line if your not careful. Not sure about the floor but the sawzall sounds like a good plan.

Two 20' ers as berring walls for truss roof to span acrooss your boat or Rv.
That's exactly my plan.
I am expecting it to look something like this. Only with a boat in it.
shipping-container-workshop-plans-in-shipping-container-shop-plans-in-shipping-container-workshop-plans-1024x768.jpg

Never cut a seacan in half but as a metal worker I'd use a zipcut disc on a 4" grinder. Thin clean cuts that take little time and very little effort. Might take a few discs but they're cheap. Easy to wander off the line if your not careful. Not sure about the floor but the sawzall sounds like a good plan.

I'm thinking the same thing

where are you located @fish brain
I'm in Mill Bay
The container should arrive sometime next week. Things are getting all springy here on the farm, so I likely won't get much accomplished on it until June

Have you come up with a roof structure of one can cut with a stihl 400 ts?20 x30 tarp, hd pipe structure weled bases to the top of the C can would give you the hight and cubic inches of storage space ,just think you want another 40 footer and go with bigger pipe structure

Have you come up with a roof structure of one can cut with a stihl 400 ts?20 x30 tarp, hd pipe structure weled bases to the top of the C can would give you the hight and cubic inches of storage space ,just think you want another 40 footer and go with bigger pipe structure
For the roof I got a deal on some trusses from a carpenter buddy of mine. The truss company screwed up the pitch and had to make new ones. I got the mistakes for $300. My wife has made it clear she doesnt want it to look "junky" so I need to make sure it's acceptably finished

Back