SFBC's Offical 2018-2019 Hockey Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was great to see the team stand up against the BS... That head shot was crap then they run Pettersson... I can live with the loss....great team grit

Last edited:
It was great to see the team stand up again the BS... That head shot was crap then they run Pettersson... I can live with the loss....great team grit
No hearing for Martel announced by DOPS this morning. BS in my opinion as Burrows did exactly the same thing a few years back and got 3 games. Go figure. I guess good teams get favourable results. The fist pump was an embarrassment period!

Got to enjoy last night's pre-tournament game between Canada and Slovakia. The Slovaks were no match for Canada on this night but it will be interesting to see which way Tim Hunter goes with the goaltenders based on Diepietro looking a bit shaky in his start against the Swiss vs Scott looking very calm and solid in the net vs the Slovaks.

CvS.jpg

Attachments

• CvS1.jpg
    CvS1.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 11
  • CvS2.jpg
    CvS2.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 11
canucks draft or Leafs draft? Easy answer there... go with Scott. He’s destined to be a winner.

Look forward every year to this tournament as I love the intensity of the teenagers and the willingness to do whatever it takes for an opportunity for a medal. Always cheer for the logo not the name on the back but I closely keep tabs on the few Canuck prospects such as Quinn Hughes and Tyler Madden from the USA.
As for DePietro, so far Scott has earned the right as he carries a hot hand. Let's hope there is an opportunity for DePietro to show the TO propaganda machine his goods. Not holding my breathe on that one though.
Make or break it for some to fulfill the dream as this tournament has some casualties. Case in point I have never ever again read the Province newspaper after the full page crusification of Virtanen as the "GOAT". Cruel and as you can tell I don't let things go very well.
Anyway, Go Canada Go!

Last edited:
Toronto is 24-10-2. Second in the NHL standings and 4th best in goals allowed. I guess a shaky defence doesn’t mean much when you have the puck all the time!

Heartbreaker tonight for the Canucks as everybody came to play against one of the best teams in the league.
The non call against Motte in the final minutes was a joke along with the non call against Virtanen who was high sticked and cut in the first period. After that I felt the curse was upon us and in the last 90 seconds it came to be. There is no way Schiefele should be in a position to take that shot that late in the game.
Hell of a game otherwise and deserved better.

Last edited:
Toronto is 24-10-2. Second in the NHL standings and 4th best in goals allowed. I guess a shaky defence doesn’t mean much when you have the puck all the time!
Second in the standings for now but injuries are finally creeping in and again their defence still needs an upgrade to be prominent in the playoffs. January schedule will be the telling story as they play a number of defence minded teams. Marner is a beauty but the Leafs will be in cap trouble after next summers signings.
We will see and look forward to the outcome as let's face it it's the Leafs.

Last edited:
Marner is a beauty but the Leafs will be in cap trouble after this summers signings.
Leafs management had done a pretty good job of keeping signings sane, until they completely lost it overpaying for Nylander. He is invisible out there, will probably be untradeable. Leafs have 10million in space, cap will go up 4 and not resigning hainsey will give 3 more. Marleau needs to be traded to free up another 6. So that's 23, should be enough for Matthews Marner and maybe kapanen. They have no money for a defense upgrade. They will start trading picks for rentals at the deadline to try and upgrade.

Leafs management had done a pretty good job of keeping signings sane, until they completely lost it overpaying for Nylander. He is invisible out there, will probably be untradeable. Leafs have 10million in space, cap will go up 4 and not resigning hainsey will give 3 more. Marleau needs to be traded to free up another 6. So that's 23, should be enough for Matthews Marner and maybe kapanen. They have no money for a defense upgrade. They will start trading picks for rentals at the deadline to try and upgrade.
Marleau is too long in the tooth to be tradeable so a buyout is most likely in the cards.
Nylander signing I agree with you totally, personally some team needing offense like Carolina needs to step up but that rich and term contract is an albatross. Leafs intent all along in my opinion was to sign him now and trade him at the 2019 draft this upcoming off season. Risky. We will see but they won't necessarily get the high end value they are seeking. Middle to late first round draft pick and that's about it. So an upgrade on defence at the trade deadline, maybe if Edler waves his NMC for their 1st is a possibility. Who knows but maybe this makes sense as they would still have a first with the trading of Nylander. Plain and simple the leafs don't necessarily need his offense but other teams do and he is already signed.

Last edited:
Marleau is too long in the tooth to be tradeable so a buyout is most likely in the cards.
Nylander signing I agree with you totally, personally some team needing offense like Carolina needs to step up but that rich and term contract is an albatross. Leafs intent all along in my opinion was to sign him now and trade him at the 2019 draft this upcoming off season. Risky. We will see but they won't necessarily get the high end value they are seeking. Middle to late first round draft pick and that's about it. So an upgrade on defence at the trade deadline, maybe if Edler waves his NMC for their 1st is a possibility. Who knows but maybe this makes sense as they would still have a first with the trading of Nylander. Plain and simple the leafs don't necessarily need his offense but other teams do and he is already signed.
Edler isn't going anywhere this year as he keeps refusing to lift his clause. I have a friend in the know and he's been approached twice and refused. Apparently he wants to re sign in Vancouver next year too.

Edler isn't going anywhere this year as he keeps refusing to lift his clause. I have a friend in the know and he's been approached twice and refused. Apparently he wants to re sign in Vancouver next year too.
That’s a class act move.

Marleau is too long in the tooth to be tradeable so a buyout is most likely in the cards..
Marleau only had one year left they xant afford a buyout. That's 3million against cap for two years. Better to package him and a 2nd round pick to someone for a 5th rounder, or a minor leaguer. Canucks maybe would fit the bill, with draft in Vancouver they would probably like to get another pick in the first 3 rounds. Too bad if Edler won't allow a trade at deadline, he would at least be worth a 2nd, maybe a 1st round pick. Could still sign him again in the summer.

Too bad then about Edler's reluctance to move short term for an opportunity at the cup but understandable as he has the right. Would have made a big splash with Vancouver hosting the 2019 draft. Canucks should then resign him for an additional 2-3 years with a home town discount without a NMC. If not overworked Edler overall has had a stellar year in my opinion.
He frustrates me at times though.

Marleau only had one year left they xant afford a buyout. That's 3million against cap for two years. Better to package him and a 2nd round pick to someone for a 5th rounder, or a minor leaguer. Canucks maybe would fit the bill, with draft in Vancouver they would probably like to get another pick in the first 3 rounds. Too bad if Edler won't allow a trade at deadline, he would at least be worth a 2nd, maybe a 1st round pick. Could still sign him again in the summer.
Makes sense.

You can add another million onto Marners upcoming contract as that insane behind the back pass to Tavares to almost tie the game against Detroit was worth admission. Toronto for sure has their hands full this off season with the CBA.
If somehow the Canucks can convince Edler to wave is NMC in a perfect world wouldn't it be something if the Canucks had 2 first round picks this upcoming 2019 draft, throw in anybody but Horvat, EP40, BB and grab the first overall pick.
Jack and Quinn Hughes replacing the Sedins would be awesome and I think TSN would even take notice. Get it done Benning. Burke would do it in a heart beat. I haven't had my coffee yet so this all could be just a dream.LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back