SFBC's Offical 2018-2019 Hockey Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Cherry and Brian Burke couldn't believe how much they paid him, and what it means next years RFAs will get. Leafs had been pretty disciplined on not massively overpaying but not now. The only good thing is the contract has a large amount of money as bonus upfront, so the salary paid is a lot less than the cap hit. Poor teams like that. Contract structured for a trade to Carolina maybe? Let him play with Matthew's and put up great numbers then move him next summer. Leafs will have to move Marleau and his contract to make room too.
Agree totally, Toronto faces the task of signing both Matthews and Marner next June and that will be a tall order particularly with Marner having a banner year. #3 for the NHL scoring lead.The Leafs have no choice but to trade Nylander in my opinion if they want to keep the rest of the team intact. The Hawks were in the same situation and made trades they probably didn't want to make.

I saw it last night too. Was an awesome movie!
Yeah I almost fainted when I heard the signed Del Gottago. He always gets caught out of position
Love the name calling Del Gottago, mind if I share it?
Glad you enjoyed the movie as well. Went all out and took the wife to the Spaghetti Factory as well. What a guy has got to do to go fishing. I will even get the Xmas lights up this morning. LOL.

Love the name calling Del Gottago, mind if I share it?
Glad you enjoyed the movie as well. Went all out and took the wife to the Spaghetti Factory as well. What a guy has got to do to go fishing. I will even get the Xmas lights up this morning. LOL.
I didn’t invent that name, just found it appropriate. I, like most Canuck fans were horrified when they started the season with the same defense and goaltending but I think maybe the team didn’t want to do too well so they can be in the running for the other Hughes brother or a least another draft high for at least another year before their young guts start jelling.

Hey what about them Leafs :rolleyes::eek::p

Enjoy it while you can. Paying that kid 7 million a year has screwed their pay scale starting next year. With the salary cap you can't pay everyone like they are herring fishermen

Maybe the big stars will take pay cuts to win. Jordan did it

Maybe the big stars will take pay cuts to win. Jordan did it
Well Tavares makes $11M, and the young stars all need to be signed next year with the experts thinking that they will be in the same range.

Nylander is probably the 6th best player on the team at 7...the math doesn't add up.

They still won't win the Cup this year without some major improvement on the back end. My $100 is looking good :)

Enjoy it while you can. Paying that kid 7 million a year has screwed their pay scale starting next year. With the salary cap you can't pay everyone like they are herring fishermen
Agree but knowing how the league is influenced they will undoubtably increase the cap just in time for the Leafs to fit everyone in.Similar as the Oilers and the lottery draft. I almost would bet money on it.

Well Tavares makes $11M, and the young stars all need to be signed next year with the experts thinking that they will be in the same range.

Nylander is probably the 6th best player on the team at 7...the math doesn't add up.

They still won't win the Cup this year without some major improvement on the back end. My $100 is looking good :)
19-8-0 without their best player for most of it and now signed another future all star. Ive got for some plans for that $100.

Hell no we won't insult them and pay them like a herring fisherman, we are going to pay them big bucks like a Tofino Guide :D Stizzla no just dropping in once in awhile or you will get banned and i think FishT already spent your money on some fine Tofino bud. Nucks are making a drive for another top pick again by the looks of it.

Hell no we won't insult them and pay them like a herring fisherman, we are going to pay them big bucks like a Tofino Guide :D Stizzla no just dropping in once in awhile or you will get banned and i think FishT already spent your money on some fine Tofino bud. Nucks are making a drive for another top pick again by the looks of it.
Yup, the Canucks are going to get another piece to the puzzle with a high pick the next draft.

FYI, Jackel and Stizzla.... $100 doesn't go far in the medicinal world anymore :rolleyes:

Yup, the Canucks are going to get another piece to the puzzle with a high pick the next draft.

FYI, Jackel and Stizzla.... $100 doesn't go far in the medicinal world anymore :rolleyes:
WHAT
icon_eek.gif
what the hell happened to nick and dime bags and smoking pinners :D

Agree but knowing how the league is influenced they will undoubtably increase the cap just in time for the Leafs to fit everyone in.Similar as the Oilers and the lottery draft. I almost would bet money on it.

BS....look at where Taylor Hall is. They could not fit everyone in. If Yakupov would have developed they were in the sheeot, deep and up the sheeot creek with biodegradable straws as paddles.

Anything to help the Leafs win a cup is much appreciated :)

BS....look at where Taylor Hall is. They could not fit everyone in. If Yakupov would have developed they were in the sheeot, deep and up the sheeot creek with biodegradable straws as paddles.
With the Oilers I was referring only to the draft lottery not the cap. Unfortunate Hall was traded as you are right it was directly related to the cap. That's my point only in Toronto.

19-8-0 without their best player for most of it and now signed another future all star. Ive got for some plans for that $100.
Is Marner, Matthews and Reilly worth more than Nylander? Probably, with Tavares making 11m that looks like cap hell. There is already talk they are going to lose Gardiner this summer because they won’t be able to re sign him.

yeah they might only have 4 young superstars for the next 6 years. Not 5 :(
The last couple of seasons they have pushed the capitals hard in the playoffs and now they have more experience and added one of the best centres in Tavares. It would be foolish to count them out as a contender. As I said up front you are getting great odds still.

Last edited:
yeah they might only have 4 young superstars for the next 6 years. Not 5 :(
Still think they have structured the Nylander deal to trade him to a team like Carolina in the summer. Nylander is just a $20 million rental for the leafs this year! Carolina needs scoring, after this year with all the up front money Nylanders gets, his cap hit is 6.9, but Carolina is a budget team and doesn't care about that, they only care what they are on the hook to have to actually pay him, which is less than 5 million for 5 more years. Replaces the scoring they lost when they traded Skinner because they knew they would lose him as a UFA this year, and they can afford to part with a top 4 defenceman like Pesce. Leafs can still probably sign Marner, Mathews, Kapanen and add a defenseman from Carolina which they desperately need. Once they shed Marleau's salary (trade) and Hainsey's (UFA) that frees up 9.2 Million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back