Setting traps

weasonedog

When I set my prawn traps I have 2 on 1 ground line, they are about 100' apart, I have noticed that the first trap in always has more prawns than the last 1 in (closest to the bouy). I thing that this is because this trap is moving (even a little bit) in the current and scaring the prawns. I am going to put some weight about 15 ' after the last trap out but will this not pull the traps down straight and mess thing's up, what if any # weight do you use? Do you still run the boat in gear or stop after the weight is on and control the speed of the weight.

Tony

Likely you guessed the problem right there :)
Had that problem too, until I started putting 5 lb of weight in both the front and back trap.

that's what I do 5 pounds each end then I keep the boat in gear and let out all of the rope then once I get all the rope out I tie the buoys on the with the loop were the buoys are I loop a cleat so the boat acts a sea anchor that just what I do

Likely you guessed the problem right there :)
Had that problem too, until I started putting 5 lb of weight in both the front and back trap.
X2 on that........If it moves even a bit it tends to fish far less.......Lots of good ways to keep it on the bottom in most conditions........Cheers!

Sounds right to me too.... Your bouy or Scothman may be lifting that trap off the bottom if your weight isnt heavy enough... Especially if there's a chop on the water... Give your prawn pellets a little soak of the oil aswell... seems to produce pretty good... keep your line weights equal... I like 5lbs at each end of the ground line....

If its pretty rough out, more weight the better, just to keep the Scotchman from lifting that 1st trap...

Another trick if theres a good swell is to clip on some 10bls weights about 30ft down from your Scotchman... I use the old style bench weights that you find at garage sales... This way your Scotchman is lifting thoses weights before it ever starts to effect your ground line weight... and its only a 30ft retreive then you can pop them off..

I had the same problem so I messed around with different set-ups for awhile...

I have had great success using Alaska Fish Fertilizer. Shake it well, put pellets in container and apply liberally. I also save my old anchovies and throw them into one of those mesh bags.

Back