seized alternator

Fixit

motor im putting in has been sitting for a while i guess, it was seized up, but i was able to break it free and run the motor for 15 mins to warm it up and change the oil.

a week later and im turning it over and the things is seized up again.

im guessing that its the bearings that are rusted up, how hard is it to change them out?

its pretty easy to do, split the case and pull them off the shaft,
make sure to reseal the case afterwards, marine alternators and starters are usually sealed with silicon of some sort,
alternator OH kits are available from lordco and the likes

He just dropped in a small block chev

You are not alone. Fired my boat up yesterday, ran fine for about 30 seconds. Sudden gawd awful belt noise then silence. Alternator seized and burnt belt off.

ive been seeing this thread for a few days now, Finally irritated enough to post- Put a new alternator in!, Don't mess with the old one.

I was just about say thing..We have a guy in Duncan who rebuilds them...Mien was screwed last year... The cost for him to rebuild equaled a new one... This is one of those don't screw around things.... Just replace it it was only a few hundred for my small gm one... Make sure though you put right one on! They are not all same.

YES i agree...IFL just put a new one in its seized for a reason... you can get rebuilt marine alternators and starters from MACS electric in Vic been using Joseph for many many years I have spare ones on hand for my boat very CHEAP insurance.....

Good luck wolf

ended up taking the alternator apart last weekend, the problem was with corrosion between the stator and rotor, ended up changing the front bearing while i was in there and giving it a good coat of paint too.

all fixed for a 3$ bearing and 4$ spray can o tremclad

I put a new one on mine and thought why not fix the old one for a spare. Until the screws started snapping off. Lol.

Back