Seaqualizer fail

Jencourt

So how is your seaqualizer after a season or so?
I have one that I used last season and had to use it last night only to find it does not pop open anymore. All the mechanics of it work smooth and are not corroded or sticky. Tried every depth setting and it will not pop open. Ended up dragging a yellow eye up from 300 only to send it back down and then drag the poor bugger back up again.

Any of you have the same issue, or have any suggestions? For almost 90 bucks a guy should get better than about 6- 10 uses out of it one would think.

thanks Ray

So how is your seaqualizer after a season or so?
I have one that I used last season and had to use it last night only to find it does not pop open anymore. All the mechanics of it work smooth and are not corroded or sticky. Tried every depth setting and it will not pop open. Ended up dragging a yellow eye up from 300 only to send it back down and then drag the poor bugger back up again.

Any of you have the same issue, or have any suggestions? For almost 90 bucks a guy should get better than about 6- 10 uses out of it one would think.

thanks Ray

Mine did the same thing and the guys at PNT in Parksville exchanged it for a new one no problem!

Mine did the same thing and the guys at PNT in Parksville exchanged it for a new one no problem!

How has the new one been?

I contacted seaqualizer, they offered to send me a new one without any hassle . So Good on them. All they wanted was a pic, the model and my address.

FYI: The Lady said it is a failed spring that Usually causes this.

How has the new one been?

I contacted seaqualizer, they offered to send me a new one without any hassle . So Good on them. All they wanted was a pic, the model and my address.

FYI: The Lady said it is a failed spring that Usually causes this.

New one has been great! The one from last year sat in my tackle box in the house stored as per the instructions but failed on the first yellow eye this year. I never got a reason as to why it failed but was told it’s rare

Is there a recommended maintenance on these after using for the day? E.g. freshwater rinse or WD40 on the internals? I just got one a few days ago but haven’t used it yet.

Mine never worked right from the package. I was on a buddies boat last season when I first tried it. The poor rock fish just went down and back up several times. My buddy just returned it to me recently and I thought about contacting Seaqualizer to see if they would replace it. In the interim, the Seaqualizer was sitting in the rod holder / knife holder thingy attached to my motor well. Where I laid my net across it when landing a fish solo during the recent Sooke Coho fest. If the fish seemed largish and wouldn't hold still long enough to be determined hatchery or not, I would lay it in the net, in the water until I could tell if it was a keeper or not ( I have a fish safe rubberized net) Anyway back to the story. I laid the net across the motor well while playing a larger coho. I got it to the boat and it went crazy, so I grabbed the net. As I picked up the net and swung it around I noticed a splash at the back of the boat. What was that? I thought. The fish was IDd (wild) and sent back to do what ever it is that Coho do when they don't come home with me. After I put the net back in the holder and re set my gear, I noticed the Seaqulizer was not in the rod holder tube where it had been, The splash I had seen was the Seaqulizer headed for the bottom. Now it doesn't matter if it worked or not, or whether the Seaquilizer company would replace it. I think I might just use an inverted hook from here on, it's much cheaper when I lose one overboard.

I use the shelton as well. Only knock against it is that you can easily lose the fish at the side of the boat if it slides off before the weight is applied downward. You need to be careful in your technique, you can't just drop the fish overboard with descender attached. Still, a great device that cannot fail over time given its simplicity.

Island Fishfinder mag had a story on how to make a "Sheldon" type when descenders became mandatory some time ago. That's when I made a few with wire from the bin, still have, still use, still work and if I drop, break or loose one I can easily make more. Yes cost is $0. Highly recommend that style, NO reason for non descender compliance.

HM

Back