Seal Hunt

It's not just Salmon stocks the furbags impact. Studies have shown one of the largest components of their diet is bottom fish. We can only keep one rockfish a day in the straight, while they dine on the remainder of the dwindling rockfish population. Rockfish are extremely slow to reproduce, so even if there was a culling it would take ages for stocks to rebound. I don't think the seals pay any attention to the boundaries of the ever expanding Rockfish conservation areas. Some of my favorite salmon fishing areas are now off limits to sport fishing. I can appreciate the need for conservation, but how many Rockfish do the sporties take in comparison to the seals and the commercial fisherman.

TheBigGuy

It was over fishing by people that have decimated the stocks. IMO if the fishery is in such peril to need a seal cull we also to stop fishing there all together; sport, commercial, all of it. Prepared for that?

if the seal populations were at the same historical levels I would agree - but they are not they are out of control. Nobody wants to kill them all off, they simply want to keep them in check and reduce them to their natural levels.

Its like deer in areas without predators - they explode out of control and they end up destroying certain areas because the ecosystem has not evolved to cope with such high numbers.

victoriaboater -

If they could somehow get everybody on board, I'd be all for shutting down the entire fishery for 5 years. It would be interesting to see how much it would bounce back (if it would).

quote:Originally posted by Pablo2079

victoriaboater -

If they could somehow get everybody on board, I'd be all for shutting down the entire fishery for 5 years. It would be interesting to see how much it would bounce back (if it would).

If that means all commercial fisheries, all Natives, and all sporties, then sign me up.

quote:Originally posted by powder

Magic I am still waiting for your killer idea how you are going to cull these seals in a heavily populated area such as Van Harbour? Its one thing to have a cull at a hatchery or estuary, but you are not thinking clearly if you think fisheries or any agency is going to be involved with citizens shooting guns in a power boat. So unless we get your big idea here you are just talking!

Powder it is pretty obvious it is a problem in waters all over the place on the south coast.

I am not calling you at all, but instead of a never ending challenge how about putting our minds to the grindstone and try and think of a way. Try thinking out of the box. Be it getting first nations involved or whatever it is. Sure....we live in BC and there is going to be an outcry, but hell....if they can wade through the adversity in NL then why not out here? Too much coddling to special interest groups out west.

As fishermen/women this is an issue that is affecting our past time and I am sure is having a very noticeable effect on fish stocks. I am not trying to rally the lynch mob, but how about throwing ideas out there as to how in some way, shape or form it could be done.

On a quick side note for "controlling populations" in an area populated with people.

I will tell you this much....I live up near UBC in Vancouver and I would not be surprised if the city of Vancouver has done a quiet little cull of coyotes up that way. (yes it is speculation) I used to see them almost weekly running in the UBC Endowment Lands and all through our area. I have friends parents down in Southlands (south Vancouver horse riding community with more 'open' space) that have noticed a decrease as well. All of this is noticeable since the Vancouver coyotes were all over the evening news about 4-5 years ago.

they've been doing rabbit culls in victoria for a couple of years now. Believe or not they use a guy and a pellet gun to do the dirty work.

Magician, I have been working with DFO and first Nations in the areas I was talking about and you are very miss informed. Not only have I been underwater and participated in surveys, transects in Winter Harbour, south to Tofino, I have first hand info. From locals, natives, scientists, and shellfish industry. You are just popping off,no first hand knowledge, or understanding, but thats okay. You were talking seal, not otter. If you like your dungys, geoducks, urchins, any shellfish, there is a huge problem. As these animals were reintoduced...with no predators such as man, they are flourishing way above historical nos. in the areas I mentioned.

My point with the seals was it is easy to leave a post with name attached saying open season on seals and I thought it was just lame cause there is no thought behind it. I am not disagreeing seals need to be kept in check, just wondering how you were going to do it in a populated area thats all.I hope you take some time and talk to the guides and locals in Winter harbour, Quatsino and get some knowledge and get youself informed about the sea otter.

Magician, I have been working with DFO and first Nations in the areas I was talking about and you are very miss informed. Not only have I been underwater and participated in surveys, transects in Winter Harbour, south to Tofino, I have first hand info. From locals, natives, scientists, and shellfish industry. You are just popping off,no first hand knowledge, or understanding, but thats okay. You were talking seal, not otter. If you like your dungys, geoducks, urchins, any shellfish, there is a huge problem. As these animals were reintoduced...with no predators such as man, they are flourishing way above historical nos. in the areas I mentioned.

My point with the seals was it is easy to leave a post with name attached saying open season on seals and I thought it was just lame cause there is no thought behind it. I am not disagreeing seals need to be kept in check, just wondering how you were going to do it in a populated area thats all.I hope you take some time and talk to the guides and locals in Winter harbour, Quatsino and get some knowledge and get youself informed about the sea otter.

In a populated area---easy...licensed seal hunters shooting them works just great.........no problem there....and where I took a couple of Oceanography courses--those profs/scientists has no qualms about suggesting massive seal culls to restore ecosystems to their natural balance. As for Sea Otters---they had nothing but entirely complementary things to say about the furry critters as did the research I read---and just because they eat shellfish and put a few people out of a job doesn't mean

We're up to about 4000 sea otters now, and they are still endangered and an 'at risk' species. One nasty oil spill and we're going back in time a couple of decades.

I'm up on my history Powder---and the sea otters were taken out as a result of the hunting by white man and not the natives.

Commercial Aquaculture can shove it up their A$$ as far as I'm concerned..because they've had it WAY too good. Back then, aquaculture didn't exist in farms---it was harvested from natural stock.

I've had my fair share of first hand knowledge about commercial aquaculture Powder--and believe me---I've seen firsthand the devastation caused by Oyster farms, leases, etc etc etc. There's 2 sides to the story---commercial aquaculture, and natural production. Salmon farming as it is currently done in BC is so counter productive to natural ecosystems it's insane! As for urchin divers---you may lose some work--regretable---but a necessary evil...etc etc etc...the fact is..the amount of $$$ these industries is irrelevant---it's the number of people employed and making coin that is important. I'd love to show you a bunch of Oyster farmers that are multi-millionaires from Shellfish farming---and who do they employ? Slave labourers for minimum wage. It's at the point now that private citizens are taking out huge leases to protect the resource and environment in it's natural state---and I'm included in that.

The only people that kept sea otters in check were the Natives way back when---and the state of the ecosystem was much more in balance. The fur traders and explorers came along and killed Sea Otters for their pelts to extinction--not because of preserving Aquaculture..and back then Sea Otters numbered in the tens and hundreds of thousands.

DFO are the perennial screw ups when it comes to conservation of stocks on this coast---and Loyola Hearn as a matter of fact, just wrote to me and told me that Chinook Stocks are as plentiful as 1950. That's the biggest lie I've ever heard. If that's the case, that explains why we now need downriggers on any given day over the coast to catch a legal fish---and there are no inside Coho to be found.

At any rate Powder--I'm not misinformed about the issues surrounding Sea Otters--maybe it's those people saying Sea Otters are the issue that should check their facts about the ultimate purpose and role a healthy Otter population plays in a naturally changing ecosystem. If it means that the price of clam chowder, Oysters Rockefeller, and Sushi is going up--then so be it--I'll pay more. If it means that a few dozen aquaculture employees need find something else to do, then so be it---everyone's days are numbered---including you, me, and everyone else.

Check out this website...1900 people employed by shellfish aquaculture in BC eh? That's fewer than GM and/or Ford are going to lay off in Canada.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/fish_stats/statistics.htm

One of the biggest problems with DFO is that it faced with a complex mandate that is fundamentally at odds with itself---to promote conservation, yet promote aquaculture and sustainability, and commercial interests are often at odds with the greater and moral good. Throw in the political motivations and causes clouding and shrouding the issues and we're in a constant downward spiral--regardless of what statistics anyone has to the contrary. Statistics are an interesting thing---they can serve whatever purpose they are designed to serve.

Well Magic, its not just the commercial shellfish farms up that way, infact they are doing better. Is the wild stock I am talking about and if you strapped on a dry suit and a tank you would see for yourself. The bottom is barren, strip mined, and its happened in the last ten years!
As for your comments on who cares about a few urchin divers I will pay more for my sushi, you obviously have no idea how big this industry is. I suggest reading up on it for youself. Just to say who cares about a few shellfish, well whats to stop people from saying to you who care about you trolling for winter springs in march in the harbour and feeding some seals. If you do not show any respect for other peoples industry and way of making a living, dont expect to gain any real sympathy from the non sportfish community with your seal problem. Who are you to judge what industry is legitimate? I know lots of urchin divers who work on three man boats making a great living up to this last year harvesting wild urchins up and down the coast and you are calling them and the industry out. Hmmm and I,m supposed to think with this neanderthal thinking you will get support for your seal hunt in the harbour from non fishing public. Anyways believe what you want, was just trying to enlighten you from some of your over the top statements but theres no hope so I will let you be.Maybe you could volunteer at the van. aquarium and help cultivate a few sea otters and club a few seals,and maybe ask for some public money to shoot a few seals on the weekend haha

Well Magic, its not just the commercial shellfish farms up that way, infact they are doing better. Is the wild stock I am talking about and if you strapped on a dry suit and a tank you would see for yourself. The bottom is barren, strip mined, and its happened in the last ten years!
As for your comments on who cares about a few urchin divers I will pay more for my sushi, you obviously have no idea how big this industry is. I suggest reading up on it for youself. Just to say who cares about a few shellfish, well whats to stop people from saying to you who care about you trolling for winter springs in march in the harbour and feeding some seals. If you do not show any respect for other peoples industry and way of making a living, dont expect to gain any real sympathy from the non sportfish community with your seal problem. Who are you to judge what industry is legitimate? I know lots of urchin divers who work on three man boats making a great living up to this last year harvesting wild urchins up and down the coast and you are calling them and the industry out. Hmmm and I,m supposed to think with this neanderthal thinking you will get support for your seal hunt in the harbour from non fishing public. Anyways believe what you want, was just trying to enlighten you from some of your over the top statements but theres no hope so I will let you be.Maybe you could volunteer at the van. aquarium and help cultivate a few sea otters and club a few seals,and maybe ask for some public money to shoot a few seals on the weekend haha

I think there are bigger fish to fry Powder than natural shellfish populations---Otter populations stabilize and plateau when the foodchain limits out for a particular population. Too many Otters--Otters die.

It's precisely that line of thinking you suggest which has resulted predicaments like we're in with other species.

If there weren't $$$ at stake, no one would be beaking about Sea Otters. If wild shellfish populations decline and divers are put out of work, then it must be. I'm not insensitive to the hardship those individuals face. We've all been there. I sympathize with them.

I remember the East Coast Cod Fishery collapse---and we know who won that battle. I remember the license buyback program on this coast, and people were happy to turn in their licenses.

If we really want to pick a battle that's worth fighting for---and if we're talking environmental---let's put an end to Shrimp dragging and Dragging in general. Out of all the major fishing nations in the world, did you know that Canada was the only non signatory on the dragging of major seamounts in international waters? I've seen the footage of inshore/offshore waters that are dragged/trawled, and it was an entirely politically motivated decision to not be a signatory on that moratorium--despite the many of the participants in the industry stating--things have to change.

I'm not judging what industry is legitimate or sustainable, I'm talking about environmental balance---based on pure science and natural equilibrium. I remember reading a national public opinion survey done by some major firm that showed that seal culls are definitively supported by the general public.

Betcha there will be a seal cull before there's a sea otter shoot up.

I'm not suggesting shooting seals because they eat salmon---I'm suggesting shoot seals because they have a learned feeding behaviour which is having an impact on the sustainability and recovery of the resource..and my recommendation would be the same for Sea Otters too---however with a mere 4000 furry friends in BC as opposed to Alaska having an estimated 72000 I think we've little to be alarmed about at this point--and I'm not denying that natural shellfish populations are in decline where otters thrive.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/species/otter/

As for harbour seals, the population is approaching historical highs (130000 in '98) while the food chain it eats is approaching new lows...quite the opposite of the Sea Otter example.

http://www.vanaqua.org/education/aquafacts/harbourseals.html

Everyone is suffering cutbacks Powder---and if Sea Otters weren't taken to the brink of extinction---we probably wouldn't be having this debate---likewise if Harbour Seals weren't feasting on what's left of the salmon.

I'll take your advice under advisement and return to the Vancouver Aquarium and UBC and tell the profs I should have received D's instead of A's inn my Oceanography Courses.... because I'm Neanderthal thinking :D , disrespectful :D, judgemental :D, unenlightened :D , and unsympathetic :D (to use your words).

Thank You. :D

You know there is a serious seal problem when you see seals in the river while fishing steelhead. I have seen them a few miles from the ocean in the Stamp as well as the San Juan river systems.

BH

Okay magic if you are betting me right now a seal hunt will happen in Van. harbour before a sea otter hunt happens on the west side of vancouver island you are on.The natives in tofino have already put a plan together and dfo is evidently considering it. At least with the otters there will be a possible economy and this will motivate the locals to participate. I am not saying the seals do not need to be culled, especially in remote areas away from the high density of humans. Some of the estuaries and rivers for sure. I,m just waiting to see how you pull this off in the van. harbour, so our bets on. Remind me when your sanctioned cull begins, and I will do the same. I hope you come up with a workable idea, I am no seal lover, but just trying to be realistic. I promise to eat my share of seal when you get this sanctioned hunt in the harbour underway!

POWDER, i respect some of what you say, but your still talking about sea otters not river otters, sea otters on this west coast are still endangered, i personally had more than one beer talking with a local bioligist about this topic tonight i wont repeat what he has to say about all of us on this topic, but sea otters are doing their part and are no where near killing off the urchin population, as u like to state about sportfisherman taking more than their share, imagine if anyone who wanted a urchin had to learn how to dive etc,etc,etc
i think if we all had to catch are own(now all u guides dont kick my butt) and not have a commercial anyone get it for us, wouldnt there be more for all, and dont give me that BS that some cant afford to do it, i am a single guy paying my own way at an ok job not rich by any means and i can go out and catch all types of fish and crustaceans to feed not only me but anyone else i feel lucky or deserving enough to come over for dinner
No one knows what historical levels of fish or seals where, but i can tell you one thing every pic i have seen with fish from the past is amazing i only wish i had the chance, but any pic i have seen or people talked to of the past dont show seals like you see now, and dont forget they are like flipper they do learn!!!!
not trying to pick on anyone, just saying none of us knows for sure,and no govt or biologist knows all the answers either. i am for a cull for the right reasons, not just shoot and let em sink, but just whaling of the past i am sure their blubber and other body parts are worth something , if not here there is always JAPAN they love all that stuff, i am sure if we invite em they will come over and clean us out of seals if that is what we want

and bankers hours, yes , yes yes, i have seen seals up as far as the San Jaun campsite and anyone who knows this place what the FKKK, that is way up there and i have seen on more than one occasion a seal, first time i tought i was seeing things since i had been on the beers the night before, but i know what i saw, and the second time it was midday sober as anyone could be , same thing i thought i was nuts, but this time 3 others seen it too, all locals from renfrew, someone actually thought it was a sea lion[:p]

MY only concern is choosing the right weapon...high powered rifles would ricochet off the water and into say north Van ...not good...but shotguns with say some 00 buck this would work just fine.
well that was easy...okay where do I pay my $500...I'm ready.

Fishin M I agree with you on the seal situation, time for action and for sure leave the otters alone, but be careful on betting, if Powder is correct about the natives wanting to kill sea otters then they, the DFO will bow down and ask, how many? No way you say,well what's different, everything natives in BC demand they get, from selling fish to deciding what to do Luna, and if they don't get what they want, we"ll give them the money to take to the supreme court of Canada and win there. The courts have now ruled natives can legally pit lamp 365 days a year, so be careful on this bet.

quote:Originally posted by reel easy

Fishin M I agree with you on the seal situation, time for action and for sure leave the otters alone, but be careful on betting, if Powder is correct about the natives wanting to kill sea otters then they, the DFO will bow down and ask, how many? No way you say,well what's different, everything natives in BC demand they get, from selling fish to deciding what to do Luna, and if they don't get what they want, we"ll give them the money to take to the supreme court of Canada and win there. The courts have now ruled natives can legally pit lamp 365 days a year, so be careful on this bet.

Well..if it looks like I'm going to lose, then I'll just bring out the special powers..

PETA
Pam Anderson (now wouldn't that be nice to see her in the buff on WCVI)
all the environmentalist groups...
all the fur protesters..

HEY! This could be fun!~

Back