Finally, eating Seals is cool. Are you ready?

OldBlackDog

Seal meat may turn some stomachs, but Inuit country food is smart
'We eat what we know. We like to eat the things we grew up with'
polar-bear-with-dead-seal.jpg

Polar bears agree: seal meat is delicious. This bear drags his favourite meal along the ice flow in Baffin Bay above the arctic circle. Apex predators thrive on seal meat because of its high nutritional value. (Jonathan Hayward/Canadian Press)
When a Vancouver chef put seal on the menu this week he attracted some negative attention — but in Nunavut icy chunks of raw whale blubber and seal meat are common fare.

Seals are not endangered, so why the aversion to seal dishes in urban Canada?

It seems people are still haunted by images from the 1980s of white-furred seal pups clubbed on blood-soaked ice — images that led to cries of inhumane kill practices.

Seal dish wins applause
These days, the seal slaughter is considered to be as humane as any food-source animal. Seals are shot and ensured to be dead. And Canada now requires mandatory training for sealers to ensure the hunt is humane.

"We welcomed the news today that the popular Vancouver restaurant Edible Canada will be offering it's own culinary take on East Coast seal meat in a new dish they call seal pappardelle," said the Canadian Sealers Association.

A handful of Canadian restaurants now serve seal meat in Quebec and along the East Coast.

The kill
Still, others continue to the fight seal harvest.

Anti-sealing advocates claim 66,800 seal pups died in 2016 — too many, they say.

They were furious when then-Canadian Fisheries Minister Hunter Tootoo wore a seal skin tie when he shook U.S. President Barack Obama's hand.

amarok-seal-meat-feast-2.jpg

A braided seal intestine is bagged for later at a Iqaluit Hunters and Trappers Association country food feast where eight seals were butchered and distributed free to 100 Nunavut residents. (Kieran Oudshoorn/CBC)

But there are questions for those who decry seal meat and other Indigenous country foods.

Sealers say kill numbers are overblown — and seals decimate cod stocks.

Have some 'cultural humility'
In a world searching for sustainable, ethical, high-protein food sources, why are Canadians squeamish about fare from our own backyard?

"Honestly we eat what we know. We like to eat the things we grew up with," said Nunavut's former territorial nutritionist, Jennifer Wakegijig, who urges "cultural humility" around food.

Sure seal pups are cute, but — unless you are vegetarian — so are cows.

And a seal is not any more intelligent than an octopus, common in sushi.

And Wakegijig points out while Arctic fare features innards, so do many other traditional dishes such as Haggis and andouillette sausages.

seal-hunt-topix.jpg

A young harp seal (front) and its mother make their way along the ice off the coast of Cape Breton, N.S. (Jonathan Hayward/Canadian Press)

While Wakegijig has long advocated for Arctic people to eat their traditional foods, she admits, some gross her out too.

But she applauds efforts to diversify people's palates, and points out finding local sources of protein increases food security for everybody in Canada.

"I don't know how we pick and choose which animals we find socially acceptable to use as food. The idea of just not eating seals or any food on the basis that it's cute doesn't make any sense," said Wakegijig.

Why not seal?
Seal meat, described by some as moose-crossed tuna or veal of the sea, can be dried, stewed, pan-seared or made into sausage.

Beef contains a lot more fat and can't match flippers for nutrition.

steaming-seal-meat-stew.jpg

Steaming seal meat stew is served up in Newfoundland where the meat in broth is common comfort food. (Sonny Abel/Facebook)

Game meats are high in protein, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals.

Seal meat is lean with less than two per cent fat, much lower than 12 to 27 per cent fat in other store-bought meats.

It's also rich in iron, zinc, vitamins A, D, B and C.

Seal products
The skin can be used for waterproof, biodegradable clothing such as boots, mittens and hats.

And while animal rights groups protest seal products, the world is buying.

Between 2005 and 2014 Canada exported $66.6 million worth of seal products to 48 countries.

Canadian officials see the harvest as sustainable, and many northern Canadians consider seal comfort food.

It's a free food source for hunters in a tough economy, and offers much better nutrition than what you can often buy at Arctic stores.

Inuit tradition
Inuit seal hunters have long fought groups such as People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and Harpseals.org, saying a ban on the seal hunt is a ban on their lifestyle.

I went ashore in Cambridge Bay once from the tug and played golf on the tundra at the "many pebbles golf and country club".
On the way back to the tug we stopped at a store and I couldn't resist buying a bumper sticker put out by the Iqualit supporting traditional values.
It pictures an Inuit man wearing a football jersey on a snowmobile aiming a rifle, with two dead seals tied off to the back in the snow. It says in big letters, "EAT SEAL, WEAR SEAL"
It still makes me laugh. I've been tempted many times to put it in the back of my truck and watch the horrified faces of the soccer moms in the Neighbourhood, but for now it's still in my desk.

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, seal-kabobs, seal creole, seal gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple seal, lemon seal, coconut seal, pepper seal, seal soup, seal stew, seal salad, seal and potatoes, seal burger, seal sandwich. Tim's is gonna have it ...

I think eating seal is "cool" - just not so sure about the "yummy" part...

I've already had smoked sea lion a couple times - pretty rich...

so how do we legally harvest the ones at kirby , whittlestone, cree? i'd eat em and serve em!!

I think eating seal is "cool" - just not so sure about the "yummy" part...

My Lady & I lived in the Western Arctic for a considerable period of time.
I hung out with a fair number of the better Inuvialuit hunters and my job had me in their camps and out on the land a LOT. Of course I ate what they ate pretty much all of the time, including seals.

I found the young ones (8 months and less) to be quite tasty & tender, and in fact took several home for the Lady to try. She has a rather discerning palate, but did indeed enjoy those tidbits.

The older animals were a little tougher, and began to take on a flavor reminiscent of cod liver oil. Not for me, and none ever went home. But as in the case of many game critters, the little ones were very much to my taste buds' satisfaction.

Cheers,
Nog

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, seal-kabobs, seal creole, seal gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple seal, lemon seal, coconut seal, pepper seal, seal soup, seal stew, seal salad, seal and potatoes, seal burger, seal sandwich. Tim's is gonna have it ...

Maybe you could be a sealin' boat captain?

Well then the next step is to make them a game animal like deer?
There is no concern about their population as there are 40,000 plus.
The question is should they be under game as deer etc. are or under DFO?

Daily limit of one per day, two day possession allowed.
Yearly possession of 10.

Well then the next step is to make them a game animal like deer?
There is no concern about their population as there are 40,000 plus.
The question is should they be under game as deer etc. are or under DFO?

Daily limit of one per day, two day possession allowed.
Yearly possession of 10.

DFO obviously, as they will manage them to near extinction in no time at all. :)

Remember Miss charlie mascot of Kyuquat bc.She was saved by locals by C section,and raised in a tub after mother was shot for bounty in 1964 .lived to 41 years of age.Yes i would like to try seal riblets done sweet honey garlic.

As many of the authors/researchers in the links above note, seals and other marine mammals do appear to be having a very serious negative impact on juvenile salmon populations. The @Pacific Salmon Foundation's Salish Sea project is funding a lot of this work and if it turns out that seals are a major issue it will be very interesting to see what policy actions will come out of it. I have a hard time believing that an indiscriminate cull would get social license. Perhaps an FN harvest as mentioned above would be more palatable to the public? I don't have the answer but I do know there would be no shortage of volunteers on this forum is some sort of seal cull where to be deployed.

The seals in the strait are also responsible for huge predation on our low rockfish populations as well. I don't have any links to studies, but I'm pretty sure that this has been determined from testing seal scat samples.

In consevation posting we have sea lice and fish farms. i had a great idea for the abandond farms. seal on ice farms. a form of spca for seals .and we study them fix them and eventually selective remove them from the population in farm for harvest or release by there attiude.

Back