Seal Hunt

I would think the Sea Otters would be left alone. They do contribute to a healthy kelp forest and a healthy kelp forest contributes to better fishing. Granted, urchins, clams and other shellfish do feel the impact (and those that fish for them).... but I can't help but think that the overall benefit would be positive for WCVI. I did a search, and it looks like the Sea Otters historically were not on the inside. Not sure if they'll make their way in now.

As for the seals, it would be interesting to see if sharks make their way up from California to feed. There are a signficant number of Great Whites that feed on seals off California and Southern Oregon. There were some transient Orcas in Hood Canal a couple years back that took out more than 50% of the seal population in there.... I would think we'll see more of that, hopefully the local pods will pick up a thing or two (especially since salmon is becoming more scarce).

quote:Originally posted by Mongoose

$500 a seal??? where do you sign up!

There are some serious issues with seals...these seals are serial polygamists---often mating with more than just a few cows...which may explain why we see more than just a few abandoned pups each summer.

http://www.vanaqua.org/education/aquafacts/harbourseals.html

When DFO does initiate the cull, it's going to be interesting to see how many they do decide to deal with...I figure 50000 would be a good start given how fast they reproduce.....

Seems like back in the late 80's, the Cal. Sea Lions were moving in faster (at least on the Sunshine Coast). Now, it seems like the vast majority are Harbour Seals. Less porpoise in the strait nowadays though.... always liked seeing them.

Is there a consensus on why the kelp is retreating from the strait?

"Pacific harbour seal populations are approaching historical population records in B.C., with more than 127,000 individuals in B.C. waters based on the result of a 1998 aerial survey."

Does this mean they are just now getting back to their natural population levels?

Could be, but with much less food out there for them to feed on..... sounds like that's the issue. I don't think we'd have a problem with the number of seals if we had historical levels of salmon.

Back