Scotty Warranty and Service - What's UP??

Just to clarify when I took my riggers in the lady asked if they were registered,and I told her no they were not. She told me to register them which I did when I got home and when I picked them up there was no charge. I do not want to bash them in anyway, I have had nothing but great service from them. They have fixed things that I thought that I would have to pay for at no charge ( eg. no snap hooks and bumpers) Years ago I took in the old blue manuals in to get serviced and they were beaten, still worked but beat. Went in to pick them up and they gave me 2 brand new black ones still in the box no questions asked. I have taken in my downriggers in for service to there plant for close to 30 years and I think that I may have paid for new line once and I'm not even sure I had to pay for that. If all that they are asking is that you register them SO THE ORIGINAL OWNER can get them serviced free of charge and any one else pays $10 I don't think that is to much to ask. I for one will continue to buy and tell others to buy there stuff because I think that it is bullet proof and is local always got to support the local guy.

I've always been looked after very well by Scotty when I take my riggers in for annual service in November. They have adjusted the brakes, replaced worn parts and upgraded to the latest upgrades when they will fit on the riggers I have. Would I be upset for a $10.00 fee for a simple tune up/service...hell no. Its a tune up/service not a warranty repair. They are doing you a favour. How many cars come with free oil changes/lube and tire rotation until the car ends up in the crusher?

Yup-- agree.....

Spoke with the local scotty rep down here this morning. He informed me that there were no changes to the warranty.

I've always been looked after very well by Scotty when I take my riggers in for annual service in November. They have adjusted the brakes, replaced worn parts and upgraded to the latest upgrades when they will fit on the riggers I have. Would I be upset for a $10.00 fee for a simple tune up/service...hell no. Its a tune up/service not a warranty repair. They are doing you a favour. How many cars come with free oil changes/lube and tire rotation until the car ends up in the crusher?

my cadillacs for one- I imagine all top line cars do also---just answering your question--

Fair enough, but you did pay for that, it is just built into the purchase price. Scotty sell quite cheap compared to other riggers and still offer a great warranty.

I definitely do not have any problems with Scotty and will not think twice about purchasing any Scotty product that I need.

I took my two electric downriggers in two months ago and had them done for me when I brought them in....just went into Sydney for a coffee, they were all done in an hour, no charge except for the wire which I expected to pay for. Cheerful, excellent service. If I needed any, I would certainly buy Scotty.

Traveller

If there are no changes to the warranty as the scotty rep said. What is Gone Fishing and Tyee doing charging 10$ per rigger for servicing?
Nothing but a cash grab IMHO

Took mine into Tyee in CR before Christmas, they told me $10/ rigger if just a service, however if they found anything that was warranty, then the service was free. One was ok and the other needed a new plug. The total charge for both was $12. Hell up here a new plug is $14.99, so they saved me a couple bucks and installed the plug as well. Can't complain about that!!!

For $10/rigger/year is pretty cheap piece of mind. How much do you spend a year on just servicing your reels, your outboards or your vehicle???

Cheers

SS

Obviously the tackle stores are not Scotty and therefor are going to charge a nominal fee for servicing the riggers. Just covering the cost of tying up their staff to perform this service and saving you from burning $20 or mored in gas to take it to Sidney yourself.

I just called Island Outfitters in Victoria which is a long time Scotty Service Depot and they advised that it is business as usual and that they do not charge at all other than for the cost of completely missing parts or new cable and that there are no general service fees except a small one if you buy new cable and want them to install it.

One of the guys I spoke to was also not aware of any changes regarding counters no longer being covered by warranty but they have not yet had any of the new high speed riggers that needed an electronic counter replaced so he was not sure if the cost of them will be covered by Scotty or not. I was also told that if you have ever had a rigger previously serviced it should not be a problem getting it service in the future as they should have the serial number and your name etc. They are operating as they always have.

Seems to me there is still a fair bit of confusion out there with some trying to charge general service fees and other not. I am curious; are Tyee and Gone Fishing actual approved Scotty Service Depots.

I can say that when I have taken my riggers in to Outfitters for free service that I seldom get out of the store without spending a fair bit of money on other things, especially when they fix it while I wait and I look around.

Had no trouble having my scotties serviced in Sidney. I was asked to register them, but that was no problem also. The only cost incurred so far was the cost for the line. I have been taking them in for the last 5 years. I took 2 manual downriggers in that were 15-20 years old (came with the boat I bought a while back) and they serviced them also. They are currently being used up at Quesnel Lake in Likely. It would be ashame if Scotty was starting the process of limiting service on their products. Will ask the next time I go in to Sidney.

Cheers All,

At the recent Guides Show in Victoria (OK ... it was the Boat Show where Island Outfitters puts on their Annual Guide's Booking :) ) I had a chance to talk to Scotty about the new changes. Amongst the goodies he shared were that Scotty would no longer be conducting downrigger clinics and that all service would either be done at the Scotty Factory or at the designated service depots. I expressed both surprise and disappointment as that was one of the factors that influenced a lot of sports anglers to purchase Scotty products. I also suggested it took a huge burden off the factory to have the majority of issues dealt in the field rather than inconveniencing consumers with commutes, shipping or having factory staff deal with hundreds of issues / week. Will this influence my decision to purchase another Scotty product? Probably not. However...if I encounter more problems with less support it would be worthy of a re-visit.

As to the LED counters on the new downriggers they will not be warranted other than the usual 2 years. I was told that Scotty expects the internal battery to last about 5 years at which time the consumer will be required to purchase a new one. Suggested price is about $40.00/counter. I inquired if guides could band together and do a group purchase and was told they would look at that when we (guides) made a propositon.

As to having warranty centres charging for warrranty work I am somewhat troubled. If one takes in a Scotty product that is warrantied for life...and it is a repair that is required under the warranty I do not expect to pay a charge. I took two downriggers in last year to Gone Fishing and they did an excellent job of repairing at no charge. In fact, when one of the spools was not immediately available, they ensured I had a loaner to keep me on the water. That is service!

However...if I take in a unit and want it serviced, similiar to the tune ups did by the former Mobile Service Clinics, then I understand the warranty service is not free as they need to keep their staff employed and paid. A reasonable service fee is to be expected.

Does Scotty produce a great product? Absolutely! Am I disappointed in their decision to end the Mobile Service Clinics? Absolutely. Will I continue to use my Scotty products? Absolutely!

I just took all 3 of mine that are about 8 yrs old in for service directly at Scotty and not a prob! I have never registered them ever and didn't even get asked. Guess they are a little easier going at the plant as opposed to going through a store. They even replaced my downrigger line at no charge just charged 10cents a foot for the line.

Back