Twin Verado repower

Fixit

I wanted to repost my experience with getting my boat repowered. As I detailed previously, I had larger total to my bill than what was expected. After venting on the forum all weekend, where many of you voiced support for my feelings, I decided to pour a scotch and take a breath or two and sleep on it for the weekend. On Monday I typed out a rather long email stating my concerns, feelings and the outcome that I wanted. several revisions later, thanks to the GF and others, I sent it off to the dealership. This morning I received a call from the owner where we spoke about everything that transpired, and he agreed my request to split the labour charges over what was estimated. They get to cover their costs, but I don't have to take the full brunt of the unforeseen install time. They asked me one question at the end. Would you prefer a cheque? or would you like a credit on your account? I opted for a credit on my account, I see it as a less of a hit to the dealership and I still want to have my boat worked on when something breaks as I was very pleased with the quality of the install. As a mechanic, I can see when someone has pride in their work, and this install showed skilled work, attention to detail and pride.
Ive always felt that the real measure of a business and customer service isn't in the sale, but its after when something isn't right and how its handled. I think in this situation communication wasn't what it could have been, and both parties played a roll in that to some extent.

overall im very pleased with the work that was done, and I feel better now that we compromised on the bill and can't wait to play with my new toy! ( I've never had anything with a supercharger let alone 500HP) :)

Last edited:
I had a trim tab issue that messed up the sea trial so I don't have any WOT numbers to share with you guys yet but im excited to see how she performs. I was happy with the performance of twin 200 yams that used to hang off the back so an extra 100hp+ will be fun im sure!!!

I've run Mercruiser stuff in the past, old mercurys, and the latest ones were Yamahas. chevy? dodge or ford? I don't like fords or Suzukis but what it really came down to is I've been looking for the last 6 months for used power. these verados were the cheapest, had the least hours, included 90% of the rigging (gauges, wiring, binnacle, PS, helm, hoses, keys, etc) and I knew some of their history and they had been fully serviced and gone over by a dealer. full 300hr service (plugs, belts, fuel filters, oil, gear oil, impellers, thermostats, anodes, new props, new power steering, new trim rams. hours were mostly below 1500rpm with 250 some at mid cruise rpm, none at WOT. don't know what else you could ask for for a set of 2011 motors with 800ish hours
plus my latest Yamahas had me concerned about the block corrosion, and with 3600 hours I didn't feel like finding out if they were going to blow up in 30 minutes, or would keep spinning for another 1000hrs?!

they were more of a motor of opportunity not so much "I want exactly this motor/hp"

I've run Mercruiser stuff in the past, old mercurys, and the latest ones were Yamahas. chevy? dodge or ford? I don't like fords or Suzukis but what it really came down to is I've been looking for the last 6 months for used power. these verados were the cheapest, had the least hours, included 90% of the rigging (gauges, wiring, binnacle, PS, helm, hoses, keys, etc) and I knew some of their history and they had been fully serviced and gone over by a dealer. full 300hr service (plugs, belts, fuel filters, oil, gear oil, impellers, thermostats, anodes, new props, new power steering, new trim rams. hours were mostly below 1500rpm with 250 some at mid cruise rpm, none at WOT. don't know what else you could ask for for a set of 2011 motors with 800ish hours
plus my latest Yamahas had me concerned about the block corrosion, and with 3600 hours I didn't feel like finding out if they were going to blow up in 30 minutes, or would keep spinning for another 1000hrs?!

they were more of a motor of opportunity not so much "I want exactly this motor/hp"
Makes perfect sense.

Back