Scotty Warranty and Service - What's UP??

Fish-Hunter

Well this is news to me, it has been brought to my attention that Scotty has stopped doing their service clinics and the waranty prodcedure has changed.

Does anyone have any up to date and or inside info as to why these chages were made? Also what is the scoop for having waranty work and service work done now?

I hope that they are not falling into the pit trap of thinking that they can save some money by cutting back on their customer service and customer support, that would be a HUGE mistake indeed.

Looking forward to hearing some input from someone with a bit more information on this.

Mine are in for service right now and they didn't say anthing about fee's. Can't imagine that they would not say anything about a policy change upfront.

When you phoned Scotty what did they say?
Was in Can-Tire and told that there were changes, they were not entirely sure as to how I could get a counter for my manual rigger put through on warranty now. They were going to give me their # off the web, I said thanks I can do that from home. I have not called them yet, they are closed right now, will call on Monday for sure. Want to find out if anyone has already talked to them on this issue, and what did they say to them.

I took my downriggers in for service a few weeks ago and was asked if they were registered. They took down the serial numbers and I'm just guessing that they checked. I told her they were not and was told from now on that if they were not that you would have to pay for the servicing. Went home right away and registered them and when I picked them up no charge. This was right at the scotty plant. The guy that I talked to when I picked them up said it was because of all the stolen riggers. I don't know what a guy does that buys a used boat with riggers on,guess he has to pay.

Gone Fishing and Tyee Marine in Courtenay have trained warranty repair people on site. Both are charging a new $10 fee. Even on a replacement counter they are charging $10.

Just wait till you see the cost on the new counters that are not under warranty. Check out the warranty on the new rod holders. They are a joke. Won't be buying them any time soon.

I have fought Scotty many times over warranty's. They just decide every time in favor of them selfs.

I like their gear I just hate what they are doing and how they have treated me in the past.

I took my downriggers in for service a few weeks ago and was asked if they were registered. They took down the serial numbers and I'm just guessing that they checked. I told her they were not and was told from now on that if they were not that you would have to pay for the servicing. Went home right away and registered them and when I picked them up no charge. This was right at the scotty plant. The guy that I talked to when I picked them up said it was because of all the stolen riggers. I don't know what a guy does that buys a used boat with riggers on,guess he has to pay.

Well this is the boat that I am in, our boat came with the riggers on it used. Will find out on monday.

Scotty makes good riggers but other manufacturers also make good riggers. Scotty dominates the market here because of their exceptional warranty. In fact every dime of expense Scotty has spent honoring their warranty program should be considered as advertising dollars by which Scotty has purchased millions of dollars worth of word of mouth advertising, customer loyalty and good will. It is hard to believe that there new management strategy is to throw those millions of dollars away for the short sighted goal of saving a few dollars on warranty repairs; not very smart or good business. They must be very confident in their market placement.

I have been planning on purchasing their new high speed rigger, but if they are going to try this kind of crap I may just save the money and boycott them. I will be taking my riggers out to them for service soon, including one that I just bought last summer and quickly developed a problem with brake lever flutter and which still flutters after being to one of their service centers for repair once already for no charge. It is annoying watching it still slam back and forth on retrieve; imagine how happy I would be if they charged me $10. for the non repair and the second effort repair. I have not registered it but could probably dig up a receipt or get another copy from Trotac if need be to get it repaired although I have never been asked for a receipt before. I am not big on these kinds of registrations they led to your information being stolen or sold by which you receive a lot of junk mail and phone advertising or worse identity theft. With the numbers of people who read these forums they have probably already thrown away some expensively purchased goodwill and customer loyalty. Hopefully there is some rethinking about some of this going on with their management staff.

If I was one of their competitors I might see this as an opening to break into the BC market by under pricing, offering Scotty’s old warranty or perhaps some sort of lucrative trade in program for Scotty Riggers if you buy one of theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scotty makes good riggers but other manufacturers also make good riggers. Scotty dominates the market here because of their exceptional warranty. In fact.......Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Supposition, conjecture and bull all rolled into one-Job Well Done!

If I was one of their competitors I might see this as an opening to break into the BC market by under pricing, offering Scotty’s old warranty or perhaps some sort of lucrative trade in program for Scotty Riggers if you buy one of theirs.
If you knew anything about the tackle business (and you obviously don't) you'd know that BC is a tiny market that few care about.

Cannon for instance is a huge company and selling even a few thousand units here wouldn't amount to a fart in a windstorm for them.

Think of the network of dealers needed to service the market here and why it's never developed-there's a reason for that.

Walker is another company that's tried halfheartedly for over a decade but who haven't really bothered to fully market their gear because it's not really worth their while.

I'm sorry to see this thread degrade into base speculation and ignorant keyboard chest pounding about how a private company should run their business-if you have issues why not take it up with them directly instead of embarrassing yourself here?

You are entitled to your opinion. I have used their products for decades and always been happy with them and in particular their exceptional warranty. I have also sent them a fair bit of business over the years and extolled the virtues of their warranty. I don’t think these kind of changes are being well received or good for customer relations; I do plan to raise it with them and would hope they reconsider some of it. I assume the bull part means you disagree.

I've always been looked after very well by Scotty when I take my riggers in for annual service in November. They have adjusted the brakes, replaced worn parts and upgraded to the latest upgrades when they will fit on the riggers I have. Would I be upset for a $10.00 fee for a simple tune up/service...hell no. Its a tune up/service not a warranty repair. They are doing you a favour. How many cars come with free oil changes/lube and tire rotation until the car ends up in the crusher?

How many cars come with free oil changes/lube and tire rotation until the car ends up in the crusher?

Answer ... none. But if they did, they could sure advertise the heck out of that as a superb customer service! And that is what Scotty has been known for ... a company that stands behind its products solidly enough for a LIFETIME warranty? Unheard of.

I paid the $20, plus parts, and didn't worry about it too much ... but I was disappointed to hear they'd changed what was a truly exceptional policy. I suspect part of the reason Cannon and Walker could never get any foothold in this market was because Scotty had a lock on it, partly because of their service. I agree with Rockfish ... they might find the $10/season/downrigger is a small compensation for loosening their hold on what is close to a local monopoly.

I too have scotty electrics that are not new to me and I know that there is no warranty for me. I would think that a company that stands behind there products for a lifetime would do so no matter who owns them. MAC TOOLS and Snap-on tools have done that for as long as I can remember. Maybe that's not a fair comparison, but I think it has some baring on the argument. That being said, If anyone has actually looked at these riggers they are dead simple construction and are so easy to work on yourself. JMHO. hope it helps

I've always been looked after very well by Scotty when I take my riggers in for annual service in November. They have adjusted the brakes, replaced worn parts and upgraded to the latest upgrades when they will fit on the riggers I have. Would I be upset for a $10.00 fee for a simple tune up/service...hell no. Its a tune up/service not a warranty repair. They are doing you a favour. How many cars come with free oil changes/lube and tire rotation until the car ends up in the crusher?

Valid point, I also have received good service; my concern is that not change. I do consider that when a new rigger acts up after only a few trips that it is a warranty issue not a tune up issue and the changes appear to be broader that service fees such as new registration requirements and some parts no longer being covered (counters) etc. There is apparently some degree of uncertainty as to what all the changes are or mean, even with their dealers; which no doubt is not helping.

I too have scotty electrics that are not new to me and I know that there is no warranty for me. I would think that a company that stands behind there products for a lifetime would do so no matter who owns them. MAC TOOLS and Snap-on tools have done that for as long as I can remember. Maybe that's not a fair comparison, but I think it has some baring on the argument. That being said, If anyone has actually looked at these riggers they are dead simple construction and are so easy to work on yourself. JMHO. hope it helps

For all practical purposes my impression is that Scotty has exceeded their Life Time Warranty for decades and fixed any rigger taken into their centers, usually with no questions or receipt requests. That is unless it was one of the really old manual ones made out of blue plastic; then you are out of luck even with a receipt. They have been a legend for their Warranty/Service Support which is why I have always told anyone getting into salmon fishing not to even think about anything but Scotty riggers. That word of mouth has spread from person to person. I suspect many of us do not want to see the Scotty service legend die.

I have been using Scotty products with multiple vessels and selling Scotty products in my retail store for the past 15 years. I have had to pay for some servicing in the past, and sometimes nothing at all. I now do it all without sending any riggers back, and have been servicing a few for others. After what they have done for so many years to stand up for their product, they have been a very solid BC company, and keep in mind that business expenses change over time. To pay a small fee like $10 to get a $550 rigger serviced shouldn't be an issue IMO.
I think that clarity on their new process, if there is a new process or service charges, needs to be learned before too many get too upset over a local company that has helped us fish more effectively for a lot of years.

Funny, I always thought the warranty only applied to the original purchaser. Not the 3rd or 4th guy. Warranty and service are two different things. If you bought them new, then have Scotty service them. A nominal fee is only fair. The guy doing the work has to eat too. If you got them used, do the service yourself. I have never bought scotty's new, always came with the boats I've owned. I have always looked after them myself and never had a problem. Although, I don't put in the endless hours some of you hardcore guys or guides do.

Scotty do not ask for proof of purchase, simply take the rigger's out to the plant
fill out the warranty registration forms and they will service for free.
i've just had a motor replaced and power cord fixed, no charge.

They will however ask you if you are original owner, which of course you are right ?;)
fill out the forms and you're good to go.

It's got to be related to tracking of stolen property and abuse of warranty
that started this.

Back