Scotty HP Digital Counters...They Keep Dying....

I've had counters go out as well. So, when I'm dropping to whatever depth I'm after, I count it off in my head so I get an idea of the ratio of count to depth. It seems to work not too bad, as I can typically see the ball on my garmin.
Someone makes a color-coded braid that is marked in 10 foot increments

I found the first counters filled with water and some just stopped working, went through about 6 counters in a year but all warrantied. The second series of counter are much better, and none ever failed on any of my friend’s boats.

For a back up counter a friend modified the HPs. We all installed manual counters into our HP DRs. Then if your electronic goes down you pull the plug on the cap and there is the manual-counter. Just adjust the manual counter back to 00 and you are fishing again and then you can change the electronic counter when you have some spare time.

Once you own the HP DRs you will never go back. They are so much faster at retrieving the ball and reliable. Once you get a good counter they work well.

Installed the manual counters on a friend’s boat and two years later he has still never had to use the manuals. Here are some photos
Is it 55ft or 67ft?

I had one go recently, new battery installed, now can't zero it out and will not turn off so it eventually died. I went out anyway, put the working cover on the side opposite the transducer, non working cover on same side as the transducer as the cannonball is easy to see on the screen on the transducer side for judging depth. The furthest side away gets the read out. Works in a pinch.
Mine did the same , I took back to Scotty and they replaced it.

I think he's just pointing out an obvious tech issue with the 2106 counters. No ones complaining here. Go to any place that sells them, its a known issue. Scotty is the best company you can deal with. There's lots of positive posts about their service on the site here.
I think he's just pointing out an obvious tech issue with the 2106 counters. No ones complaining here. Go to any place that sells them, its a known issue. Scotty is the best company you can deal with. There's lots of positive posts about their service on the site here.
Pescador where are you taking your counters for replacement?

Picked up another free replacement from Pacific Angler today. Ended up buying a second spare lid with counter for $129. So with TWO spare lids I should be covered for the summer, I hope.
Spare lids are great, but try them before you go out. I had a spare lid when I lost one and put the new one on and the counter wouldn't turn off. Called Scotty and they were fully aware of the problem and are sending me one when they come in. Great service

Is funny. I've had a pair of 2106s for almost 9 years and they're on just their second set of counters. First ones were replaced due to battery depletion. I do live in the dry interior, but the riggers stay on the boat in an open sided carport all winter.

Well there is a quick fix they do they put the old counters in them. then they drill a hole so you can see the "old school" counters...
I’ve done that with mine. They are good as a backup if your digital counter dies in the middle of a fishing trip.

Back