Scotty HP Digital Counters...They Keep Dying....

Sharphooks

Is it just my bad luck or has there been ongoing issues with these counters? I put a new one in last summer and almost immediately I noticed fog inside (after a rain) from water intrusion. I took great care when installing not to pinch wires or damage the gasket. I put up with the fog on the lens of that counter then last night at a really inopportune moment the counter just died on me. I opened my gear drawer on the boat to replace it and found 3 other counters—-they had all died, too....first water intrusion, then inaccurate readings, then no readings. I hung on to them thinking maybe they’re fixable?

Were there some batches of these counters that had issues or is the life expectancy really only a couple of months? I wish the HP’s had a mechanical counter like the older style SCotties....those counters seemed way more reliable

Last edited:
I'm pretty fed up with them. I have a spare cover with another counter ready to go and I'm swapping that one out almost every trip now. Even with the newer ones with changeable batteries, the buttons short out and I can't zero it or turn it off. Super frustrating.

This is why I simply won't buy that one. I never understood the digital counter. Why not just sell as an option?

I believe @Doug posted he had to converted one to counter system. I thought I read that somewhere.

I’ve been thru 3 or 4 counters on my 2 2106’s. They’re 4 seasons old. A season is now 2 months a year. I’ve just gone to the retailer each time with the failed counter and they hand over a new one. They take your name and that’s it. I also carry 2 spares now given we fish remotely part of the year. They have an engineering problem with them fosho.

That's insane they break like that. Until it fixed won't buy one.

It's great to have a digital readout but you shouldn't have to just keep replacing them.

Wow, based on those responses I guess that answers my question: the original ones that came with the HP when it first hit the market were sucky, and they’re still limping along with the same problems. You’d think by now they’d be more reliable—-$ 70–80 a whack—-that’s going to add up!

I replaced both (wires were pinched in the sealing gasket when installed at the factory) within the first year when I got my HP's in 2017 and still on those replacements 4 - 5 years later. I keep mine covered with the Scotty downrigger covers when not in use.

I actually had more problems with manual counters on my old DR's where they would sometime "skip" and not show the proper depth.

That's insane they break like that. Until it fixed won't buy one.

It's great to have a digital readout but you shouldn't have to just keep replacing them.
I’m considering getting a pair but am also concerned. I would go the manual counter conversion if it kept happening, I see them on some charter boats locally. Would want a homemade lense over that hole though.

Wow, based on those responses I guess that answers my question: the original ones that came with the HP when it first hit the market were sucky, and they’re still limping along with the same problems. You’d think by now they’d be more reliable—-$ 70–80 a whack—-that’s going to add up!
I've never paid for a single replacement. So there is that I guess.

Last year I sent one of our pairs of 1106s in for service. They came back with new counters. This is the manual kind. They both didn't work. Called my rep he sent me 6 more. None of them worked right. Ended up sending them all back to scotty and pulling the counters from an old set of manuals. Work great now.

Have not had problems yet with the 2106. I'm sure it's coming

Anybody know that the “M” signifies? This is the one that crapped out on me last night....the other one just powered off and that was it....both got fog on the inside of the lens

11A84245-DFB5-4096-8FF0-F38FC6241E3F.jpeg

I wonder if there are bad batches of these that can be tracked by production codes?

BCBF01E3-63CA-42D3-92B6-8322747055B4.jpeg

Anybody know that the “M” signifies? This is the one that crapped out on me last night....the other one just powered off and that was it....both got fog on the inside of the lens

View attachment 80680

I wonder if there are bad batches of these that can be tracked by production codes?

View attachment 80681

"M" means it is reading in meters instead of feet. Try pressing both buttons at the same time to toggle between the two.

I'll bite ,
seems bad reviews get posted more times than good ,
iv'e run 5 x 2106's year round for 10 years now , zero issues on mine ,or very minimal.....
other than batteries dying over a reasonable time , zero complaints
Scotty , the best option imo...good guys over there.....
True, like most online reviews, the happy folks don’t post.

I'll bite ,
iv'e run 5 x 2106's year round for 10 years now , zero issues on mine ,or very minimal.....
I think he's just pointing out an obvious tech issue with the 2106 counters. No ones complaining here. Go to any place that sells them, its a known issue. Scotty is the best company you can deal with. There's lots of positive posts about their service on the site here.

I'll bite ,

Do you store them inside when your not using them?

Back