Scotty Counters and braid line

Mi Chica

Ever since I switched to Power Pro braid I have wondered about the accuracy of the counters on my Scotties. I have watched with interest the various opinions and experiences of others. I finally decided to try to determine the accuracy myself. I peeled out 200 feet indicated and then taped it. It was accurate to within 6 inches. When I repeated the process, I got the same result. Did the same with the other rigger, and had virtually identical results. My conclusion was that the if the counters were accurate with the s/s line they will still be accurate with the braid. IMHO this also indicates that backing is not a necessity.If nothing else, I will be more confident about the depth of my gear in future.:)

To much water, too little time

That's good to know. Can you tell me what the overall length of the Power Pro on the spool and what test it was?

Thanks

My riggers are within 5 feet of the sounder reading at 200 ft. Good enough for me.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I have the PowerPro #150 and I find that my counter is out by about 10% compared to the old stainless. 100 feet on the sounder equals about 111 feet on the downrigger, and that's in neutral.

Back