Scotty HP Digital Counters...They Keep Dying....

I have had the odd one stop working, or the battery die on the early model, like most have. For us, it is not really a big problem. I just take the counter to the factory service desk (it helps to live close to the factory) or the Scotty booth at the boat show, and they have always given me a replacement free. If it goes out while we are fishing, and we don't have a spare, we can estimate 40 to 60 feet reasonably close and that rigger becomes the shallow line until we get a replacement counter.

I'll bite ,
seems bad reviews get posted more times than good ,
iv'e run 5 x 2106's year round for 10 years now , zero issues on mine ,or very minimal.....
other than batteries dying over a reasonable time , zero complaints
Scotty , the best option imo...good guys over there.....

I have had 2 - 2106’s since 2014 and just replaced my first counter this spring because the internal battery was dead. I think keeping them inside / covered extends the life.

Well,just like Fisher Dude I mounted two mechanical counters-dead easy to do-and put a piece of clear plastic on the inside of the lid.That way you have a window and don’t need to take the lid off if your digital craps out on you.
It’s worthwhile thinking about as I can think of nothing worse than going away with the boat somewhere and then your digital stops working and you don’t have a back up.
Scotty sent me two mechanical counters along with a template as to where the hole in the lid gets drilled.
Having said that,I haven’t had any probs. with the digital for a while.

Is it just my bad luck or has there been ongoing issues with these counters? I put a new one in last summer and almost immediately I noticed fog inside (after a rain) from water intrusion. I took great care when installing not to pinch wires or damage the gasket. I put up with the fog on the lens of that counter then last night at a really inopportune moment the counter just died on me. I opened my gear drawer on the boat to replace it and found 3 other counters—-they had all died, too....first water intrusion, then inaccurate readings, then no readings. I hung on to them thinking maybe they’re fixable?

Were there some batches of these counters that had issues or is the life expectancy really only a couple of months? I wish the HP’s had a mechanical counter like the older style SCotties....those counters seemed way more reliable
Just bad luck im thinkin , try these , or have somthing made up , i leave my riggers on all spring and summer out west with these on over night , or when im not there , nice wakin up and having dry clear counters , also use them in the winter in the marina , keeps the defrosting pain to zero. works with me , a little luck too im sure.... https://www.amazon.ca/Scotty-Fabric...ocphy=9001498&hvtargid=pla-450780319385&psc=1

Thanks for that FD.....for the record...I always store them under a roof and off the boat. Water intrusion occurred on extended trips with some rainy days...nice to hear there are guys out there who don’t have any problems. It is frustrating when they go out on a long trip, though....that happened to me 6 years ago—-the HP was new and the counter fogged up from water intrusion and packed it in. Those things take up lots of room in a wheelhouse ...the spare old-school Depth Power saved that trip. I agree SCotty is a great company that stands behind their stuff.

I'm considering just throwing the lids inside from now on.

Scotty makes covers. I've been considering having my top guy make covers with strataglass tops. Just leave them on. I know if I get covers, they will just end up in some wierd bin and or go overboard

Scotty has great customer service and they have treated me really good in the past . Having said that, it’s been years now that this issue has been around. You’d think they would spend some time getting this sorted out. Fix the issue or create a way to convert to the old counters. Doing nothing but replacing lids is stupid.

Picked up another free replacement from Pacific Angler today. Ended up buying a second spare lid with counter for $129. So with TWO spare lids I should be covered for the summer, I hope.

With the early counters with no power button they used to crap out all the time. The new version is a bit better, but still only lasts a couple years. They live in a harsh environment, I imagine Scotty must be looking at improving this with the amount of replacements they have to give out, but must be having trouble fixing the issue.

I had one of the non battery ones die last week. Retailer said no more warranty and I had to pay for it hmmm. Anyway mine are on the boat all year but stored in a shed.

I did have one side fail on me 2 days ago in the most odd way. Traced it down to corrosion in the - side heat shrunk connector to ground. So bizarre but nice to fix and back in action.

As for the counter, I think I will reach out to scotty about that warranty clarification. Cheers

Last edited:
I had one of the non battery ones die last week. Retailer said no more warranty and I had to pay for it hmmm. Anyway mine are on the boat all year but stored in a shed.

I did have one side fail on my 2 days ago in the most odd way. Traced it down to corrosion in the - side heat shrunk connector to ground. So bizarre but nice to fix and back in action.

As for the counter, I think I will reach out to scotty about that warranty clarification. Cheers
I usually pick mine up from Scotty. They said their policy is replacement until 2 years old, guess they have to draw the line somewhere. I asked if they had discussion about how to resolve the counter issues, he said ya, every day.

I'll bite ,
seems bad reviews get posted more times than good ,
iv'e run 5 x 2106's year round for 10 years now , zero issues on mine ,or very minimal.....
other than batteries dying over a reasonable time , zero complaints
Scotty , the best option imo...good guys over there.....

I have run a pair of them myself and have only changed 2 over a 10 year time period... pretty happy fopr the most part with them

was up fishing offshore in WH last week - three digital counters failed. One in the rigger and both spares. Frustrating to say the least. Just dropped both riggers and a bag of junk counters at the scotty service desk in Sidney. I got a very disappointing response from the tech - not really their problem - blames the english manufacturer. I get it - but as a consumer I buy a Scotty product I dont want to hear about supply chain issues. Bottomline - your product failed (repeatedly) after I spent a small fortune to get out fishing in a remote spot. all the foregoing issues arose, woundlnt zero out, wouldnt turn off, no digtal readout - just a background glow, screen blanks out....... meh...... rant done.

I have had about 4 fail in 7 years on my two current 2106s. Scotty has been great in replacing them, although I haven't had one fail in the last couple years.
Scotty has always been great in that regard, and with fixing other things that have gone sideways. That being said I don't go out now without an extensive box of parts. Counters, switch, fuses, belts, etc.

I just picked up a like new pair from Marketplace and I have a question. How do you turn off the digital counter? It is displaying after I cleaned them, is there a method to stop the display and save the battery? I will also try to find the manual online.

I just picked up a like new pair from Marketplace and I have a question. How do you turn off the digital counter? It is displaying after I cleaned them, is there a method to stop the display and save the battery? I will also try to find the manual online.
I don’t think there’s an off option. Mine seem to cycle off after prolonged non-use. Then I have to touch the switch to turn on. I think there are various versions of counters out there.

Back