Scotty Downriggers with too much braid on the spool - warning!

Torque = r x f..The greater the radius the more torsion on the round spool. If you say say force(f) is constant ie.. down rigger ball.. Your drum is plastic so it tends to have max shear stress it can take. Plastics tend to be be ductile so it doesn't fail right away and crack it just starts and to warp when it get beyond yield. Increase the radius increase the stress in material.

That is the geeky answer for you..
That make a hell of a lot more sense than my original theory. Thanks SV, Love it when the geeks get into "applied theory" mode. Really puts some interesting perspectives on what we do as a sport and hobby. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe someone needs to come up with a split piece of form fitting stainless pipe to enclose the inner diameter of the drum.... i would think that would take care of the issue. I don't have a rigger near me atm to see if that would be able to be applied or not...

I'm not an engineer, but my son is. I have 600 feet because when you fish alone you can day dream, play with the ff, look at whales, troll in small circles, cut the braid off once or twice and keep on fishing so long as you have spare balls in the bow locker.

Here is a dodgeball teacher's diagram of how the spool changes as more
line is added to the spool.

=== >=<

Last edited by a moderator:
So that must apply to wire line too.......because it's not how much material is on the spoon...it's how tightly it's wound on up to a certain point.

So anything over 400ft of braid, wound on the spool with say, a 15lb ball is too much stress....so that would be ditto for wire...right?

I would think so. it's like taking a string and wrapping it around your finger with only slight tension on each wrap. after awhile the finger loses circulation as each wrap makes up a cumullative amount of force.

I too believe the expansion theory, I have had many reel spools split and warp from tightly winding cold line when fishing deep and after warming in the hot sun for some time they let go.
This was mainly with lower end fly reels that were not designed to be loaded with mono but the same theory as with the DR spools.

Back