Scotty Downrigger won't spool out line

Tiki35

I was just checking one of my 1106's before using them this year and one of them won't spool out cable.
I release the brake and it just won't spool. If I remove the belt, both the big pulley and small pulley move and I can pull out line fine. I must be missing something obvious?

Mine was doing that at the beginning of the season. I took them both in to get serviced and they showed me the brake plate (under the cable spool) was rusty. Thanks to the lifetime warranty, they replaced that and the brake pads right then. You can just flip the brake plate over if you need them sooner than you can get them serviced.
I usually carry a 9/16 wrench with me on the boat to set the tension on the brake if I get it wrong after taking them apart.

Thanks very much Jammer.

Well I'm asking. Am I the only one who can't put those yellow and black autostop beads on the S.S. cable without kinking the cable. There must be a trick to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get your DR serviced every year. It is a cost of $10, but if there is any warranty work, it is free. Best $10 you can spend on your DR.

Cheers

SS

OK just a simular problem with my riggers I bought last year. The belt was rising and binding on the middle pully and the lid of my riggers. Burnt out three belt in no time do to this.Both of them were doing this.I was burning out belts coming up and binding going down... Dan @ Gone Fishing in Courtenay seems to have fixed the problem by replacing the middle/ajustable pully. So far the replacement parts have solved my problems.

Thanks very much Jammer.

Well I'm asking. Am I the only one who can't put those yellow and black autostop beads on the S.S. cable without kinking the cable. There must be a trick to that.

Just make sure you take the weight of the ball off first. If you try to force the stopper on with the ball hanging, it does tend to kink.

X2 on the annual servicing. The free lifetime warranty is a great deal for the original, registered owner
(Scotty is starting to get fussy about this as they spend $100,00 - $200,000 annually on lifetime warranties).

F D

I had a similar problem last season and tried adjusting the brake tension with no success. I sent the downrigger in to Scotty and it was a switch in the motor that was worn out. They replaced the motor at no charge.

IMO what has probably happened is your line was wrapped around the drum without a lot of pressure. I'm sure someone has a better solution but have someone hold the brake off and the second person pull, especially if near the top. Two or three wraps without a lot of weight will trap a wire and produce a situation like you have. Please don't put a wrap around you hand.

The Scotty warranty is fine if you're in the comfort of your living room but everyone should at least be familiar with the guts of their downriggers so if you're out on the water, you can self-medicate the problem and get back to fishing.

Jammer's comments are to the point---my guess is, it's crud on the brake plate. It's an easy fix---remove the pulleys and the drum so you can get at the brake plate. Take the brake plate out and clean it. I used very fine emory cloth with lots of soapy water---jelly fish squeajum, crusted salt, all the crap that comes in on the wire or braid is fed by gravity down to the brake. It should be part of typical pre-season maintenance

I made the mistake of applying Corrosion-X after cleaning the plate-- I learned real quick that lubricating the brake plate is not a good idea so I cleaned it all off.

Once I got it all buttoned back up I was back on Broadway, cruising for spring love

Back