Scotty downrigger switch.

Clint r

Huh. Downrigger quit working today. I think it's the switch because the other rigger works in either socket but this one won't. Checked the connections and they're clean and tight. Have plenty of volts at the socket but no lift. Timing might be tight to send it in for warranty work but I've sent them an email. Just wondering if this is a special order part or should my local tackle shop have one? I don't remember seeing one in the Scotty section.

Could be the main motor. If the seal on the motor is faulty you will get water into the motor and that will be the end of it. Only other possible issue is the switch. Best thing would be to take it into tackle shop that has a service agreement with Scotty. Next best option is to send it direct to them for a repair but it will take a bit of time to get in and back to you.

Hey Clint R.

If it just quit on you suddenly, more than likely either the re-settable breaker or the relay inside the motor housing. You can pick them up at CT or Lordco. The motor usually gives a warning when it is on its way out (main one is that it doesn't want to feed out when you let your ball down, have to hand pull the line). Those two things are the most common things to go wrong, Searun is right about getting water in the motor housing, even a little bit will take out the breaker and then the relay, especially if you are not using a swivel mount, everytime you lift you rigger, you are putting the breaker at the bottom of the motor housing, which can fill up with water over time. Quick way to tell is to take the 8 screws off the housing and look for issues, pretty easy to spot. Good luck.

Regards,

Fishyboy

Thanks for the info, I'm going to look into it right after dinner. Hope it's not something serious. There's not many hours on these down riggers, so I'm a little surprised that it doesn't work. I wired it up the other day but didn't check to see if it was OK. Took the switch box apart earlier and it looks like a Magnet turns the switch off and on. I have a large magnet in the shop and tried to turn the switch on with it but nothing.

So with the downrigger on the bench and jumpers direct to the plug it suddenly works. The other downrigger works in both sockets and this one worked in none? Not sure what to say other than at least it's not the motor. I'll have to have a closer look tomorrow. Might not be the switch, it could be the wires on the male plug are making intermittent contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the female end, same thing happened to one of mine.
the wires were corroded and only making partial contact.

That's an easy fix. The new style plugs are simple. You should have that fixed in about 10 minutes - it will likely be the screw that holds the wire in may have backed out a bit.

I had a similar thing happen last year and it was intermittent changed the trip switch which I got from Method Marine as they are a Scotty dealer and problem solved. I think the switch was around $25.

Back