Spooling an islander with more braid for shorter topshot of mono

doug78

Found a older thread about this and nobody mentions how much braid it took to fill an islander to reduce the amount of mono required.

I found a reel calculator and it seems to think I will need 500 yards of 65 lb braid to get my mono down to 50 yards of mono with the reel 90% full. Does this seem to be in the ball park? I peeled one of m Mr2s down and pulled off 250 yards of mono followed by 130 yards of braid. If i feed those numbers into the calculator it comes back with 90% full. Seem right, as i did peel a bunch of crap line off last summer.

Hoping to fill the spool most of the way to keep line speed up. Was debating selling my mr2s and order the mr2LAs, just do not feel like like dropping 1200 bucks on reels if i can spend 150 bucks on line.

Didn't realize that Dacron was larger diameter. That greatly reduces the yardage need to spool up, awesome thanks.

I would be careful of filling too much of the arbor.
Line can escape and cause a clustermuck at the most inopportune time.

Found a older thread about this and nobody mentions how much braid it took to fill an islander to reduce the amount of mono required.

I found a reel calculator and it seems to think I will need 500 yards of 65 lb braid to get my mono down to 50 yards of mono with the reel 90% full. Does this seem to be in the ball park? I peeled one of m Mr2s down and pulled off 250 yards of mono followed by 130 yards of braid. If i feed those numbers into the calculator it comes back with 90% full. Seem right, as i did peel a bunch of crap line off last summer.

Hoping to fill the spool most of the way to keep line speed up. Was debating selling my mr2s and order the mr2LAs, just do not feel like like dropping 1200 bucks on reels if i can spend 150 bucks on line.
I think people also refer to a "top shot" as the 40-70 feet at the end of your braid. So it goes dacron backing, braided fishing line and then mono top shot. From your post it sounds like you're taking about braid as baking and then a half spool of mono.

It is a sweet spot...i don't want to kill the retrieve speed or make a birds nest by overfilling. learned the hard way on one of my fly reels...

I think people also refer to a "top shot" as the 40-70 feet at the end of your braid. So it goes dacron backing, braided fishing line and then mono top shot. From your post it sounds like you're taking about braid as baking and then a half spool of mono.

My current setup is more mono than braid backing and i hate it (all the mono is junk). Top shot probably isn't the best description of my goal, just trying to get the mono length down around 200 feet instead of the 700+. That keep the braid out of the clips if i am fishing deep (plus some room for cut offs)

Didn't realize how different braid, dacron, backing was. I am new to the braided line world and am used to considering any backing as just braid. Now that i have the terms down. Also didn't realize that guys are running 3 types of line on here reels. Number crunch, line to order. Also spooling up three jigging rods with power pro, maybe even the depth hunter.

I only use about 20ft of mono for my "top shot". I dont ever feel the need to set more than 20 feet behind the clip so its always mono in the clip.

No need to use 200ft of mono as a top shot. Defeats the purpose of using braid. If you have a shorter 20-40 feet of mono, then you set the mono into the clip, 20-40 feet behind the boat and you can fish at whatever depth you want. Smaller diameter braid fishes with less blow back too.

You could use 100 Ib braid same dia as 30 Ib mono then a top shot of mono. Need 300 to 350 yards of braid

No need to use 200ft of mono as a top shot. Defeats the purpose of using braid. If you have a shorter 20-40 feet of mono, then you set the mono into the clip, 20-40 feet behind the boat and you can fish at whatever depth you want. Smaller diameter braid fishes with less blow back too.
200 is overkill but i put more than 20-40 feet just in case something happens to my mono and i pick up a nick or a burr. i can cut off and toss the affected piece and still have some left. i hate doing a double uni at sea having to redo the entire thing

200 is overkill but i put more than 20-40 feet just in case something happens to my mono and i pick up a nick or a burr. i can cut off and toss the affected piece and still have some left. i hate doing a double uni at sea having to redo the entire thing
I start with 60 feet. When it hits 20 after a couple tangles I replace it.

Yah, the tangles are an issue. Just don’t tangle… ;) or have a third rod ready to go.

The knot is great as a reference for distance behind the rigger as well. I notice some days you need your gear tighter to or further from the ball, and the knot between mono and braid gives you that with more certainty than the eyeball estimation.

my go to is 100-150 yds of 30lb flyline backing onto the reel first then 300+ yds of 50lb braid then 20' feet of mono

if you start to see the fly line backing time to start to chase that fish or most times its mr seal......lol

Just a question-why would you use 65lb braid-the purpose of braid is usually a thinner diameter to lessen line drag or blowback on a rigger. Most guys use 30 or 40 lb braid then a topshot of mono just to hang in the clip. I agree Dacron first as backing then braid and then a mono topshot- to each his own I guess-65 lb seems overkill on a salmon reel with all downside and little benefit IMHO

What knot are you guys using? I have been doing the FG however not something I find easy or quick to do.

Back