Scent good or not

REIDNICOL

I am trolling in the Nanaimo area and have never used scent what is your guys take on it, just wondering.

Reid

I use clear Herring Oil on spoons....and I have this other concoction I make up out of several oils for squirting inside a hoochy.

Does it work better than nothing at all?....I tend to think so. I think it masks any residual human odor that's on the tackle. That said, I've put down tackle with no scent added to them and caught fish.

Clear Anchovy oil works good too. I always put something on my lead jigs when jigging.

A lot of folks when river fishing the Columbia and Fraser use the Pro Cure scents a lot, not sure they are necessary for the salt, but go for it, it can't hurt.

Derby is a user I hear and chipstealer is always using it on my tub. I have used it in the past but usually don't bother with it.

Lead head jigs get either white power grubs (self scented) or bait (again self scented). If your referring to lead head jigs for hali and ling then I almost always use bait of some kind. Nothing beats xtra large herring or what have you.....

If you want to squirt some slimy sent out of a bottle on the bait then fill your boots. I can't see it hurting anything :).

Last edited by a moderator:
use it on my spoons and I also tuck a little up inside my hootchies if nothing else it hides my scent.
I like the blue pro guide chit
JMO

I'm convinced it makes a difference on days when there isn't an abundance around. Lots of oils can stain gear pretty badly though.

Instead of throwing out an anchovy for whatever reason, slice off a piece and try the good old anchovy stuffed hootchie.....:cool:

I'm convinced it makes a difference on days when there isn't an abundance around. Lots of oils can stain gear pretty badly though.

Instead of throwing out an anchovy for whatever reason, slice off a piece and try the good old anchovy stuffed hootchie.....:cool:

The hootchovy!

Does anyone find scents and/or bait increases incidental catch of dogfish? If so, is it typically significant or a minor inconvenience? I know location will play into it, so what about somewhere like Kitty Coleman?

I imagine Kitty Coleman is like anywhere else when it comes to Dogfish......they are either around or they aren't..........Dogfish travel in schools.

If you go real slow you'll get more dogs than if you troll faster....but trolling fast doesn't mean you won't catch Doggies.

When I was a diver some times I'd go off ECVI and see hundreds of them all around......and the next time I went to that place there weren't any.

Some days it's a minor inconvenience...other days it's a pain in the butt.......scented lure/bait or not.

Real bait and scents will attract them more generally.

Back