Sand Lance Spoon

Can only agree with Wolf. This is hands down the best spoon for Victoria/Sooke area and down here it selectively picks out springs. When fishing with the kids for pinks I usually put some pink lures on one side and the sandlance spoon on the other just in case there are some springs around. While the pink lures caught many pinks, only few would hit the sandlance spoon but for sure sooner or later a spring would jump on it! A great way to conserve bait when the pinks are thick and still have a good chance for a spring or two. BTW, it does work not just here. I had phenomenal success with this spoon in Nootka. The guides up there took note. Since then I actually call it the "Nootka Spoon". Great piece of craftsmanship, Andrew! Cheers

Three trips for me using the spoons, Released a 27,20,20,18 (estimated sizes) . Kept a 10, and a 14.
Multiple hits also.
No problems at all so far with the rings, hooks or vinyl or spoon for that matter original bend still good. 42 inch leaders 40 lb test.
Andrew has been great to deal with, made up my crazy requests on time.
Thanks Andrew.

The Sand lance spoon is so AWESOME but the ring split has serious damaged that is why I lost a beautiful big spring :(

Thanks Andrew , I am so glad the spoon is working really awesome. The drag seemed ok but the big fish swam down really very fast.

The 80 lbs test rings would be good on the spoons.

I lost a big spring the other day too, along with my favourite sandlance green and glow. Knot failed at the ring. Haven't had a Knot fail like that before. I assume it's because it got knicked by the sharp end of the split ring. I'd be willing to pay a couple more bucks per spoon for a welded ring.

Anyone else had this happen? I'd like to think it was a freak occurrence.

I've lost 3 springs with the opening split ring. The spoon is right on and I have caught a lot of springs on it. Andrew took exception with me calling the split ring crap. So why Andrew if it is or was not crap why are you upgrading the new ones to 80#

I've lost 3 springs with the opening split ring. The spoon is right on and I have caught a lot of springs on it. Andrew took exception with me calling the split ring crap. So why Andrew if it is or was not crap why are you upgrading the new ones to 80#

First off, I don't take any offense to it. I appreciate your feedback good or bad to improve the spoon.

The gauge that I currently use is #5 and a 40lb test. I personally like these lighter rings because they give more action and have never peeled one open. That said if people are peeling them open I have no problem bumping up to the next size, which is #6 and 80lb test. It is a thicker gauge wire and a slightly larger ring. They will be stronger...which I guess will make them not crap. ;)

And Ryanb, I've had enough requests for welded rings to offer it as an option. That should be available for this fall. For the knot, if you tie opposite the ring opening and if the knot is tight it should not slip around on the ring.

Thanks!

With jigging we learnt that you couldn't go smaller than a #6 split ring, even on 25 gram lures. The #6 rings could still open if you were holding the lure while releasing a struggling fish. When fishing 145 or 180 gram lures (5 or 6 ounces) I go to a #7 ring, then to a #8 or #9 for the really large jigs- 300 grams (11 ounces).

The split rings are never as strong as a good welded ring but are fine in #6 and larger if you watch them and replace when fatigued at all.

...Rob

cant blame the ring for knot breaking... ive had brand new 40 lb test leader snap off from big springs sometimes fish win by there very sharp teeth nicking the line but blame what you want.......

I think you should always check the ring and knot placement before fishing.
I've replaced a couple that started opening up. Haven't had a failure on a fish yet.

Thanks for all the good feedback on the rings. I'll see how quickly I can get a batch of welded ringed spoons done up and will figure out costing.

Aside from refining the AP Sandlance Spoon I've also be playing with it's cousins over the Summer and am now happy with the AP Anchovy Spoon and the AP Herring Spoon. They both have similar design aspects as the AP Sandlance and a swimming action through the water. The first size available is a 4" which mimics a 6" herring or anchovy.

For the last few months I've been only fishing spoons and mostly with just a dummy flasher on the ball and just a spoon on the line. The fish seem to approve of the action.

Here are some of the new colour combos I've been playing with. Thanks for all of the great patterns people have been requesting. I like the challenge.

dfc8e151db2a2b83dad771c3e5107bc1.jpg
8d8682375ba7f18d4a846232f3fc1da2.jpg
75637b69689ff76ac385c8b1d22012f9.jpg
a221c53b66347842d4f08177f9056dd0.jpg
220daf6557b692af36b60e09ecd857da.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Great job Andrew, also great to see an entrepreneur who can take constructive criticism from his customers. To bad more businesses don't follow your model.

in the meantime, you guys using split rings... wonder if just using a low watt soldering iron and a bit of solder you could prob make them almost as strong as welded rings... I would think they should solder up fairly easily...
just a thought

The tape looks blingy with some great colour selections. How are guys you finding the tape holds up in saltwater / teeth marks etc vs a painted finish? Is the tape adhesive activated with heat, or do you just peel and stick?

Well ive been using the herring one all summer as per AP getting me to (small sacrifice LOL) ill post a pic as ill take one tomorrow but its so beat up but still working fine teeth marks have destroyed the end of it but the tape is still there

Wolf

Back