Salmon net

slaydown

Hey guys,
Just wondering what you guys are running for salmon nets? I had a scotty that got stolen and liked that net but I have seen recently a net from Gibbs that has a rubber coating that is supposed to help with hook snagging. These nets don't look as tough as the scottys though. Any opinions are appreciated.

I have the aforementioned Gibbs. It's nice and light but also quite sturdy. Hasn't netted a Tyee yet but has seen springs to 20lbs without skipping a beat.

What ever you buy just be aware of what type of material the netting is made of. I have never used the rubber webbed nets so I can not comment on them but a couple years ago my son bought me a new salmon net. At this moment I am not sure what make. The webbing is a rubber coated nylon mesh and let me tell you it's a horrible net in the water. There is way to much drag in it. It will almost pull you off your feet trying to move it in the water, it is impossible to do a swipe with it. You pretty much have to swim the fish into the net, it has cost me more than one nice Chinook at the side of the boat. Last year I used a smaller net that I have and only brought that one out once. I am looking for a replacement webbing for it but nets that size aren't common in this part of the world a I am waiting until I get out west this summer to replace it.

Scotty nets are made domestically, competitively priced, and are almost indestructible...

Only thing they don't have is the rubber bag for preventing hook snags, and more importantly, doing less damage to scales and slime coat of fish that are being released.

if your releasing why even use the net ....

also here is two schools of thought

drag the fish in asap and scoop it up then it beats its self silly on the boat floor

or play the darn thing and it slides into a waiting net with out much issue
problem i see is most of the guys run short handle poles on the net

i know the longer pole seams to get in the way but i play my fish and fish solo a bit
i also slow the boat just to keep it going or drop it in to neutral when netting....

i had a friend give me a back up net which had a short pole ... fish did not want to be that close to the boat and went ape every time i brought him in ....

if you like to keep trolling then the scoop method with a large mesh works best

also fishing singles will cause you less lost fish, as quite a few fish are lost due to a poor netting job
and the trailing hook(s) have a uncanny ability to hook the mesh and release the fish for you .....

Scotty nets are made domestically, competitively priced, and are almost indestructible...

Only thing they don't have is the rubber bag for preventing hook snags, and more importantly, doing less damage to scales and slime coat of fish that are being released.

Scotty nets are great, but buy a replacement "release" bag. I know you shouldn't net fish you're going to release but it happens and those nylon nets with knots are really hard on fish.

Back